Skin Care Talk banner

SPF intolerance

4K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  IluvNY 
#1 ·
Hi all!! I know how important it is to be wearing sunscreen. I have tried multiple brands and formulations but no matter what, my face feels like it is being suffocated and my pores clogged. I end up having to wipe it off. Is there anything you guys have tried that is light weight and does not have that SPF smell and feel???? I would certainly appreciate any help! Thanks, Amy

#2 ·
I have also suffered the same thing with many anti aging products and SPF creams i am personally now trying to control this by using yoghurt and lemon mask and clay masks with tea tree oil, i use these both every week and i also try to buy stuff that is non condemic and as natural as possible!

May be you should look into making your own sunscreen? What i would like to do at some point!

#4 ·
Mom, Hi welcome!!!

Some ppl say that titanium dioxide makes them feel "clogged". I like zinc oxide better anyway since it doesn't leave that white cast. I look for micronized zinc.

My current favorites are: Avene Emulsion 50+(chemical/physical hybrid) and Devita SPF30 (purely physical - not chemical).

Look for the ingredients Tinosorb or Mexoryl which stabilize the active chemicals to prevent them from breaking down on your skin and causing free radical damage. Or stick with a purely physical sunscreen.

I hope this helps you in some way. I know how everyone is different. Sometimes you just have to experiment til you find what is right for you!

#5 ·
Hi Amy,

Avene is a line for sensitive skins, that Fawnie mentioned, and here in Canada they have 2 kinds of sunscreen in their line - the regular one and one that is completely physical (no chemicals). But the downside of physical is that it sits more on your skin and also can turn white. but most people who have reactions to sunscreen are OK with this line. It seems like your issues with sunscreens are that you don't care for their textures and odors. The problem is, the higher you go in the SPF the heavier the lotion becomes (generally). SPF affects the texture of a product. That is why you won't find SPF higher than 15 or 20, usually, in a foundation. Because it changes the texture. Also, most face lotions are 15 or 20 spf for same reason. But There are a few options to consider. Avene has a makeup with a 50SPF in it that is quite sheer, amd also a makeup with a 30 SPF (this one is more like a regular makeup whereas the other one is more sheer). The quality of this SPF is high quality as well, because not all sunscreens are created equal. I am not sure where you live, but Biotherm's sunscreens are BEAUTIFUL textures for the face (or body) and are a high quality sunscreen. Lise Watier just came out with a 30SPF face lotion that is light weight. La Roche Posay's 60SPF is actually quite OK on the face - not too heavy at all, and I have oily skin, and found it OK. Vichy is another good one as well. Look for Mexoryl as Fawnie said. L'Oreal owns Vichy and Biotherm, and have had Mexoryl in their sunscrens and recently put Mexoryl XL in. So bascially, you can wear their sunscreens all day without re-applying as the ingredients don't break down.

#7 ·
NY,
Uh, AVENE Emulsion 50+ (orange tube) has chemical AND physical agents, so it gives a high degree of protection from UVA and UVB plus it is stable plus it doesn't leave a white cast. It is lightweight and absorbs quickly. Suitable for under makeup.

DEVITA is micronized zinc oxide so it is purely physical, but it only has SPF 30 and has not been rated for PPD. It is very moisturizing and is in a shea butter base, so it takes a while to absorb. OK for use under makeup if you have dry skin, otherwise it is too moist.
HTH

#16 ·
I may try it. I have real problems with sunscreens too -- I've thrown out products after only a couple of useages. I don't like the odor, or the texture and my face always feels dirty after a couple of hours. In the past I've also had severe allergic breakouts after using some products. I don't know how protective mineral makeup is but I'm hoping this year it will be the answer.

#13 ·
The best sunscreens in the market I am in, are La roche Posay, Avene, Vichy, Ombrelle, and Biotherm. They are high quality sunscreens that even our local dermatologist recommends to people. They are all OK for sensitive skins, but having said that, it doesn't mean that someone won't ever have a reaction to one of the ingredients. For example, ILuvNY found La Roche Posay too itchy. But most people love it. I have people from the US that come and buy hundreds of dollars of their products including the sunscreens, because they cannot get this line in the US. Sunscreens in foundations are generally not that great - they are OK for in and out of the car...not for being outside for any length of time. They also break down after a couple of hours. Same with a moisturizer with SPF in it - many are fine for "in and out" but not for time outside. In that case you need a regular good quality sunblock. In your countries, (I am in Canada) I am sure you have other sunscreen lines that are good too. Hope this helps a bit.

#14 ·
Yes it does, Cheeks!!! Thanks!! Can you comment on purely physical sunscreens, like TiDo and ZnO? The newer ones that have micronized zinc and nano TiDo don't leave that "tin man" or white face look, but are they reliable?
And are they safe?

Appreciate your comments!!

#15 ·
I have very sensitive skin and live in the desert. I've also had carcinoma on my forehead so I have to be very careful about sun exposure. I've tried so many sunscreens and they either don't protect my skin or I have a reaction. Believe it or not I recently purchased Copperone Faces SPF 50 and it has worked great for me. No reactions and gives good protection. I know parabens are a problem for me and it doesn't contain parabens.

#17 ·
I've been promoting Mexitan because of the non chemicals factor, I got the 15 & 30 SPF and both leave that "tin man" or white face look, and now they have 50 SPF that will be the gost face? I tried the Burt's Bee 15 SPF and it's like if you were pouring honey on your skin, yark!

#18 ·
So i tryed the Aveene for sensative skin found this very bitty and flaky on my face, is this the correct word, dont know but anyway may be i should of not put moisturizing cream with this so il try again tomorrow otherwise may be il try Biotherm i like there stuff but is expensive!

Mariepop whenever i get excema on me hands burt bees cream is great dont know about rest of there stuff though!

#20 ·
I use Colorescience and love it! Living where I do, you need a sunscreen that actually works, and this one does for me! No break outs, no smell, and no tin man look. If I am applying when I have makeup on I apply my makeup, then apply my sunscreen, use a few pumps of hydrating mist and I'm done.

Colorescience

#23 ·
Colorescience Products

you can look on this site too. It is anywhere from $30-$50. If you get the brush applicator then all you have to do is buy the refills when you run out. But honestly, mine has lasted a very very long time. And yes, I do use this on whatever is being exposed to the sun- not just my face, neck and shoulders

#34 ·
You could try patting on several thin layers instead of one thick one maybe? Or use an oil beneath it? Maybe it just isn't for you though. It IS a little matte for my taste sometimes, especially under foundation. But I like that it doesn't have parabens or bad things and has high PPD. As The Baby says, you just have to try them all to find one you like!!! The Goldilocks Factor.

#35 ·
Is the baby gonna be funding trying out all these suntan lotion? It is good though it dont have any parbens etc in it! Il try again tomo moisturizer than oils then spf! I just found that it does not soak into skin very well and when it eventually did there were still some bits left on face!

#38 ·
So my face really does not like the aveeno my pores seem to get clogged and irrated and am trying to not ruin the good effects of green cream by using wrong spf but am wondering these non chemicals sunscreen the ones with zinc and whatever else are they ok to use as replacement for aveeno or not really?

Just that saw one on crystal clear website without any parbens in it or anything but this is non chemical spf and only 30 is this ok to use with green cream or not really?

Any help on this would be great thanks

#39 ·
I think mineral makeup alone is a poor substitute for a regular high SPF/PPD sunscreen. You don't apply a thick enough layer to really provide reliable protection I would think. And what about your ears, the back of your neck, your chest, hands, arms. You need to apply it there anyway, might as well do it right.

Sofina is a Japanese brand that is lightweight and ppl like it who hate heavy ones. MakeMeHeal.com sells it. I used Cut Milk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.