Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a thread on this site a month or so ago about SPF ingredients reacting badly with those in make up to cancel out any SPF coverage- but I am not sure on the thread...

I have a question though and hope someone can offer some advice:

I have an SPF moisturiser with Titanium (sp?) Oxide in it. I can't remember if I was able to use it with make up which has zinc in it as I think I read this could cancel out the protection. Also, are there any other ingredients that clash with ingredients in sun care products??

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I have an SPF moisturiser with Titanium (sp?) Oxide in it. I can't remember if I was able to use it with make up which has zinc in it as I think I read this could cancel out the protection. Also, are there any other ingredients that clash with ingredients in sun care products??
Hi jen,
As The Baby's links tell us, a makeup with TiDo or ZnO in it will inactivate a sunscreen with Avobenzone.
Some sunscreens have both ingredients, which is confusing to me...maybe it's the Tinosorb S/M that stabilizes them though. I just stick with AVENE Emulsion 50+ and Bioderma Photomax 50 +. Both are great products and are a sure thing for preventing sun damage.

Why Tinosorb M and Tinosorb S are Effective Sun Filters Article | Pharmacymix.com, Skin Care Pharmacy and Blog Specializing in Anthelios and Mexoryl Sunscreens

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm confused, so if I put on sunscreen PTR uber dry that has a chemical sunscreen and then wear mineral makeup with physical sunscreen they cancel each other out?

And I have been loving mixing some liquid foundation with my sunscreen if they both have SPF they could possibly cancel each other out?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there,

In answer to your question concerning the use of SPF moisturisers. I hope the following information might be helpful.

Many people are not aware that if you use an SPF15 moisturiser under an SPF8 foundation, you end up with about a SPF12 because of dilution.

You can solve this problem by choosing a higher SPF cream [say factor 20-30] and a foundation with SPF15. There are lots on the market,

Warmest regards,

redrose

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It dilutes??! now thats really thrown me! I use SPF 25 on my eyes, and SPF 15 on my skin for moisturisers and eye care, and then SPF 25 foundation on my skin (Clinique).

Does that mean I get SPF 25 (or less?) on my eyes, and SPF 20 on my face and then on the bits that get all three, an SPF of 21? why does it do that? does that mean if I reapply during the day, it reduces again??

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
This is a quote from "Sunscreens" notepad at MakeupAlley.com:
Q: Can I layer make-up over my sunscreen or mix my foundation with my sunscreen?
A: Mixing your foundation with your sunscreen will likely reduce your protection. It is best to wait 20 minutes after applying sunscreen before applying any other topicals because it takes about 20 minutes for sunscreens to optimally distribute themselves within the stratum corneum.12

There is some evidence that uncoated TiO2 and ZnO can degrade avobenzone13 14 so it is best not to layer makeup with uncoated physical filters or OMC (octinoxate) with an avobenzone-containing sunscreen. The only way to be assured your make-up uses coated filters is to ask the manufacturer. Two popular grades of coated TiO2 and ZnO are made by BASF and coated with Trimethoxycaprylylsilane and Triethoxycaprylylsilane respectively, so if you see the latter two names in the ingredient list, it is likely the filters are coated. In my opinion, applying oil-absorbing substances such as starches, silica, talc, etc. over sunscreen could possibly have an adverse effect on protection, so I would recommend applying coated ZnO (such as Z-Cote HP1) as a mattifier. More info here.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there Jen,

It dilutes??! now thats really thrown me! I use SPF 25 on my eyes, and SPF 15 on my skin for moisturisers and eye care, and then SPF 25 foundation on my skin (Clinique).

Does that mean I get SPF 25 (or less?) on my eyes, and SPF 20 on my face and then on the bits that get all three, an SPF of 21? why does it do that? does that mean if I reapply during the day, it reduces again??
You need to wait for a few minutes after applying your sun-cream before you put on your foundation.

The amount of concentration of the anti UV ingredients is definitely diluted when you mix SPF15 and SPF 8. You do, indeed, get an average of SPF 12.

The best thing to do is to try to match up the SPF factors in your sun cream with that of your foundation.

However, I often use a factor 25-30 on my face and neck and a foundation with an SPF of 15.

I find this protection to be excellent,

Best wishes,

redrose

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much everyone- really helpful stuff- they don't make it easy for us as consumers to do the best for our skin really do they? you'd think a pre-warning or something would be a start, or even a "safe to use together" campaign or brand would be helpful. One day maybe...one day!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
That would be a good idea, jen. Sort of like a black box warning for cosmetics.

It would be a good marketing idea, you know? "THIS sunscreen goes with THIS foundation! Buy them together here:
.com"

But until then it's just going to be up to us as informed consumers to read up and find the right stuff.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts