Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went out and bought some St Ives Scrub after lots of rave reviews on here, despite the fact that I've always been afraid to use scrubs thinking they may be too rough. I've always preferred to use a chemical exfoliator with salicylic in it (I love Clearasil Deep Pore Gel Wash). Anyway, today I used both and my skin feels sooooo smooth and clean! Hopefully my creams will absorb even better now
. I've also ordered the Likas Papaya soap so plan to use that too.

Thanks for the recommendation everyone!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yay! Be sure not to 'overuse' the scrub. I use it once a week(if that). Sometimes, once every two weeks.

I know I need to use it when I wash my face and it has(if it has) that unsmooth/gritty feel in certain areas.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I always enjoyed using their apricot scrub. But, someone had mentioned that the skin can tear from using it. I did research on scrubs and it was stated to use one with very fine particles and not larger ones or the skin will eventually begin to tear. I'm unsure f this includes apricot seeds, but it did make me really nervous now to use. I don't want my skin to tear.

·
Registered
410 Posts
id definitely recommend it, ive used it with and it works well

·
Registered
670 Posts
In 'my' opinion, I do not recommend microdermabrasion crystals. I used the Neutrogena At Home Microdermabrasion Kit before I switched to the St.Ives Apricot Scrub. Those tiny crystals would, sometimes, get under my skin and cause very irritating raised bumps.

As for tearing the skin, I've been using this scrub for a while. I have sensitive skin and it works for me.

People need to understand scrubs are meant to be used firmly but gently, not hard and rough. Pots and pans are meant to be dealt with firm and hard, not skin and DEFINATELY 'not' the FACE!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Well I went out and bought some St Ives Scrub after lots of rave reviews on here
WAH??? What rave reviews? That stuff is terrible unless you are using it on your FEET!! The sharp large particles are horrendous and tear the skin like no tomorrow, especially if your skin is sensitized with Retin-A!!

For exfoliating, nothing beats a microfiber cloth:

Microfiber Cleansing Cloth*-*NCN Professional Skincare - Anti Aging Skin Care Products That Makes Your Skin Look and Act Younger

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Yes micro tears are not something your necessarily gonna see or feel. Too many better and gentler options like the microcloth.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well I went out and bought some St Ives Scrub after lots of rave reviews on here

Anyway, today I used both and my skin feels sooooo smooth and clean! Hopefully my creams will absorb even better now

Thanks for the recommendation everyone!
I'm glad you like it. I hope you don't let 'ANYONE' DISCOURAGE you from something that WORKS WONDERS.

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Well I have two of them. One for my sink and one for my shower. I wash it ever 2 days or so. Air it dry. I replace mine about every 3 months. I just bought a cheap one to see how it compared to NCN. NO comparison what so ever. The cheap one I will use on my body. It was too soft for a good exfoliation for me on my face. The one from NCN is a waffle like material and works amazing. Truly worth the $12 bucks! Get 2 and have one for back up-

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
The St. Ives works well for me too. I decided to try it based on GoddessOfEarth's results & I wasn't disapointed. Perhaps some people hust scrub too aggressively with it & create those micro-tears? All it did for me (used gently 2x/week) is turm my skin to silk. I will try it on my feet. Funny I never thought to do that!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I have the same cloth as the rat and LOVE it. Time for me to replace mine! It is truly wonderful. I just VERY gently rub my face with it in circular motions and can feel the dead skin ( from RA ) rolling off when I rinse. You gotta try this one! I wasn't convinced when I first heard about it and almost didn't buy it. But as Rat said, it has that waffle texture and it is just great. Can't say enough about that one.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I intend to get that cloth too.. Too many pundits here are using it & love it for it to be not good. I'd bet that those who scrub too aggressively would get micro tears from the cloth too.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
NO doubt about it Ondine. When I say gently rub, NO KIDDING you must be gentle with it. You will know when it's too much
especially if your skin is sensitive to the RA and other products. I only use mine about every other day how about you Ratster?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The St. Ives works well for me too. I decided to try it based on GoddessOfEarth's results & I wasn't disapointed. Perhaps some people hust scrub too aggressively with it & create those micro-tears? All it did for me (used gently 2x/week) is turm my skin to silk. I will try it on my feet. Funny I never thought to do that!
Ondine, that's how my skin felt too! Just like silk! I will make sure I use it VERY gently, like you do.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts