Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out of school for a bit now, and I haven't done much exercise since then. It's been about...2 months? Well anyway, I don't have a home gym nor am I a member of a gym, but I want to stay in shape. What would you reccomend I do to get back in shape? My body's gotten used to not doing anything and my endurance has gone down a bit... so basically I'm asking if guys (and girls!) could give me tips on getting fit as if I was new to exercise.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
You could get some DVDs from the library on routines that look good to you.
Aerobics, Tae Bo, yoga, Tai Chi, pilates.....change it up and find something that you like! I think that's really the key: finding something that you really enjoy and look forward to doing, rather than drrrrraaaaaaaaaginnnnnnngggggg yourself to do it because you know you have to!

Good luck with it and let us know what works for you!!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to buy a Wii Fit! Looks like fun, and a friend of mine lost 10 solid pounds of fat with it. These are of course results that he's seen in a few months, but at least I know that it's a safe way to lose weight.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Davina McCall, 30 minute exerice DVD, is fantastic. I lost nearly a whole stone! Try that out if you ever get the chance.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I got a wii ACTIVE for my birthday. I'm doing the 30 day challenge and it is FANTASTIC. I'm at the easy level and it's about 20 min workout 2 days, 1 day rest. I sweat everytime I do it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You could get some DVDs from the library on routines that look good to you.
Aerobics, Tae Bo, yoga, Tai Chi, pilates.....change it up and find something that you like! I think that's really the key: finding something that you really enjoy and look forward to doing, rather than drrrrraaaaaaaaaginnnnnnngggggg yourself to do it because you know you have to!

Good luck with it and let us know what works for you!!!
I totally agree with Fawnie
DVDs are great and the key is to do exercises that are fun...like Zumba, Tae Bo, Tai Chi, Core Rhythms etc...
Good luck!!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Oh yeh ZUMBA is fun! Especially if you do it with others so you can laugh at each other and play the music really loud!!

I will have to look into this Wii Fit.....

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there,

You have to start slowly. Too much exercise to soon will cause aches and pains in places you didn't think you had.
You need to begin to establish an aerobic base. Buy a mini-rebounder/trampoline and do 30 minutes every day while listening to your favourite music.

My husband explained to me - [he is a top track and field athletics coach ]that too much exercise will result in DOMS [delayed onset of muscle soreness] and this lasts for a few days and can put you off exercise for ever!!

Using a rebounder will raise your heart rate and in a short time will increase your aerobic base. Once this is established then you can move on to other forms of aerobic exercises like swimming, aqua-jogging and running on grass in parklands and over golf coures [that's if you actaully enjoy running] - I do and love the freedom of mind it gives me.

Best wishes in your pursuit of fitness and a more health lifestyle,

redrose

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm assuming because you don't have a gym membership you're not going to spend a ton on other exercise realated stuff. So if yu can only buy 1 thing..buy a set of hand held weights. 8 to 10 pounds, at Wal-Mart they're relatively cheap. Do lunges while holding them,tricep kickbacks,bicep curls etc etc..building muscle is the ONLY thing that increases metabolism! Also,walk after supper,the metabolism starts to slow down in the later part of the day,walking gives it a boost.and remember,to avoid fat storing of food ...practice proper digestion practices...never mix meats with starches,always eat fruit alone, and always wait at least 45 mins before you drink a liquid after eating. Improper digestion practices can have food sitting for up to 10 hours in the process causing fermentation and fat loading into cells.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I took a lot of dancing when I was in high school and college and now-- I have tap shoes. Tap dancing is great fun for aerobic activity. It goes by fast. Remember the show that Valerie Bertinelli and Bonnie Franklin used to be on? Bonnie Franklin has a fun tap dance video out. It's old but you can still find it, maybe at Collage Video. It's easy but still a good workout.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts