Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...

Does anyone here have steroid induced rosacea?

If so what have you found gives you the most relief??
Now when using the topical steroid lotion i had no reaction to lotion. I had perfectly clear skin. I was put on this cream because 1st bad Derm thought I had rosacea and I told him I tried a glycolic acid serum, had reaction, and he told me I had always had rosacea-I never had rosacea just hypersensitive, pale skin that flushed when I was over-heated.
What is yours like?? One of the newest Derms i have seen thinks i have this, the other Derm has me just not use much of anything and let my skin just rest. Either way, I am still having issues after ceasing topical steroid lotion almost 5 months ago now. I do have improvement but no acne prone (not bad, more small pimples but never had acne before)...just still cannot find a moisturizer nor cleanser. i have to take a benadryl daily for itching and burning and also cold (ice) compresses 2-4 times daily, and use only a bit of vaseline on dry areas. My skin is tight, dry, flaky, sometimes bumpy, sometimes pimples, sometimes clear and normal yet still dry.

I have tried and failed with the following:

Moisturizers--
Avene cream for intolerant skin
Vichy-all "for sensitive skin"
Cetaphil-all " "
CeraVe-all " "
Vanicream-all " "
Clinique-all " "
Estee Lauder-all " "
Shiseido-all " "
Neutrogena-all " "
(Arden and Lancome have always been allergic to)

Cleanser- havent been able to use one for almost 10yrs (before steroid use), only use a baby washcloth and cold water. I do not wear any makeup. No sunscreens-very allergic, even those for babies. I think I am hopeless, lol.
:)

Any advice, or recommendations would so helpful and appreciated. thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Welcome!
How do you know you didn't have rosacea before and why do you think it is steroid induced? What you describe sounds like it could have been the early stages to me. Who recommended the cold compresses, are they wet?

Do you consistently meet or exceed ALL your government's recommendations for healthy eating and lifestyle? Have you tried a low glycaemic index, anti-inflammatory diet OR a rosacea elimination diet? Most of those moisturisers are crammed with ingredients and many have known irritants or allergens, have you had allergy tests so you know which specific ingredients, chemicals or foods you are allergic to? What are you using to cleanse your hair and body? Do you shower in filtered water?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never had any symptoms before the glycolic acid reaction. I had many reactions to cheaper makeup and cheaper skin care products. i found many things to avoid over the years: sunscreen, parabens, fragrance, natural additives from plant extracts to oils, many vitamins esp C, lanolin, zinc, and most lately squalane, hyaluronic acid, and both new dermatologists think i am allergic to propylene glycol.

And the steroid induced rosacea was diagnosed by a new Dermatologist. The other new Derm i saw said he didn't think it was steroid induced rosacea he thought more of just steroid induced red-face/reactive skin that is hypersensitive.

As for diet, I am insulin diabetic, so I follow that strictly, neither type 1 or 2 because mine is caused by a medication that shut down my pancreas, so even though diagnosed in early 20s considered more type 1 than 2. Apparently my system is as sensitive as my skin, lol. Filtered water no, typical city water, lukewarm to cool showers only. Ice compresses (is filtered water for drinking used to make my ice), wet, were recommended by both dermatologists and 4 other physicians I have seen in last 4 months, can be the only thing that gets me through some times, also no use of cleansers and no use of any creams or ointments other than vaseline for 6 wks. i am at my 8th week after those last instructions. Hair care, I am a hairdresser, so I switch between a couple tried and true professional products I have used for many many years (19+yrs), even styling products. Body wash, I use my shampoo, no reactions and I am allergic to many if not all fragranced body washes (can only use baby wash cloths since all skin is sensitive)....shampoo I use is Matrix Biolage Hydrating Shampoo (used for 19yrs now)- best for my psoriasis on my scalp and body and also for my long, heavily colored hair. Yes I have psoriasis all over in patches, even scalp, never diagnosed with eczema. Also before using the topical steroid was never this sensitive. I could tolerate much more before, but i was told by dermatologist that my skin has "thinned" making is so sensitive, to wait until it heals.

No allergy testing-not covered by my insurance at this point since only a skin reaction, no hives or throat closing so not a need at this point I am told. I do have allergies to pollen and many other hay fever type things, never bad enough to take anything for though. I do know my skin/body is allergic to a vast array of things from Tide detergent to Cetaphil lotion.

My issue is i need to use something other than vaseline to moisturize, even the smallest amount for the driest spots clogs my pores and causes acne when I never had acne before.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
When you have multiple skin issues it is impossible to separate one issue from another, one product from another. If you only focus on finding a moisturiser you are highly unlikely to find a solution. With irritation and, to a lesser extent, topical allergies what seems to be the culprit is not always the culprit. Are you allergic to medical grade lanolin or just lesser grades? Am I correct in thinking your shampoo is based on sodium laureth sulphate? Have you been tested for seborrhoeic dermatits coexisting with the psoriasis?

What do you mean by following your diabetes, avoiding sugar or more? As I asked have you tried a low glycaemic index, anti-inflammatory diet OR a rosacea elimination diet? Do you consistently meet or exceed ALL your government's recommendations for healthy eating and lifestyle? Your diabetes would not preclude this. If you are allergic to zinc and vitamin C presumably this restricts your diet?

Someone with some similar issues to you
http://www.skincaretalk.com/t/33305/using-5-salicylic-acid-cream-nightly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My diet is very restricted. Very low carb, no sugars, very little dairy...essentially mostly protein. Fruits n veggies are limited due to natural sugars and digestion problem (side effect of diabetes). Beverages are water, water and water. My diet is customized to me by a nutritionist and doctors. Also the gov't has since changed it's "pyramid" of nutrition and I cannot follow this simply because it wants you to eat foods i am not allowed to have. No food allergies but I have foods I have to avoid completely (due to digestion).

The shampoo is not the issue, lol. Nor is anything else i use. Detergents, soaps, etc all have been changed and improved nothing, only made things worse. So I am back to my tried and true of everything. i have been through this for over 4 months now, so trust me i have tried everything at this point i can find or is recommended.

Only thing is we have defined some contact allergies, but not from products I use now. Lanolin I have been allergic to since a baby, whenever it is applied to my skin I break out in a rash. i do not have SD. The last dermatologist said i probably have nothing but steroid thinned skin that is hyper sensitive and trial and error is really my only option. Find something that works to moisturize. it will take years for my skin to stop flaring because all the derms have said if i DID have rosacea BEFORE using topical steroid lotion, the lotion would have made it much worse and not had my skin perfect again. See i never had a reaction to the lotion, just found out what it was, stopped use (after 8+yrs of daily use) and this is what I am left with.

I have no choice but to find an appropriate moisturizer, cleansers have not been an option for over 10yrs, and toners are a big no, serums and masks are a big no. The derms only want a simple moisturizer for me that is all. All the physicians have told me just to find the right cream or lotion, stick to it, and do not add anything else. There is nothing to be "fixed". It has to heal it's self. My skin doesnt respond to antibiotics, rosacea meds/topicals (finacea, metrogel, and a couple more I have since forgotten) or any treatments so far.

I have tried many many more moisturizers also, simply cannot remember what ones at the moment. Also tried many at-home remedies to no avail. Tea tree oil is bad, oatmeal does nothing, natural oils cause instant reactions, vitamins topically are bad, natural extracts usually cause issues, I have yet to find anything.

I am working with 3 doctors, primary and two separate dermatologists- every suggestion from them has been met with an awful reaction by my skin. That is why we are at just vaseline. I was told I may never find anything I can use. my skin is so sensitive I am allergic to jewelry (nickel), even bandaids and tape, adhesive tears my skin off. I have had sensitive skin my entire life, just now after the steroid lotion it is in hyper drive.

They do not any hopes of finding anything I can use. I have not stopped trying.

I am just here to see if anyone has had any luck with anything.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
A nutritionist or registered dietician? What are your sources of essential fatty acids, especially the long chain omega-3s DHA and EPA, and other healthy fats? You don't even consume low glycaemic index carbohydrates? Are you IBS or leaky gut syndrome? Lack of carbs in your diet means your body will be chronically dehydrated, every 1g of glycogen is stores alongside 3g of water. Presumably you are taking a freeze-dried probiotic supplement such as acidophilus?

Most shampoos, shower gels, hand washes, toothpastes etc. contain sulphate surfactants, as do many 'gentle' foaming cleansers!! In recent years research has implicated these in psoriasis, dermatitis, rosacea and many other skin conditions and has proven they are powerful irritants down to 1% even on healthy skin (study published in 2010). For reference commercial shampoos are ~20% sulphates. I react to just shampoo bubbles even when rinsed immediately yet this reaction is not visible all over so it took me YEARS to recognise. I only realised how subtle some of the effects were upon quitting, and have only appreciated how much of irritation and inflammation is invisible since then. For some reason much of this knowledge is taking time to filter through to pharmacists, family doctors and even dermatologists.

IMO a lot of your problems are likely about nutrient deficiencies combined with long term use of a powerful irritant. That is not a criticism it is a statement of fact, I can totally see why you have ended up where you are today and really feel for you. It's up to you whether you look into the research yourself or continue to search for that elusive moisturiser.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A nutritionist or registered dietician? What are your sources of essential fatty acids, especially the long chain omega-3s DHA and EPA, and other healthy fats? You don't even consume low glycaemic index carbohydrates? Are you IBS or leaky gut syndrome? Lack of carbs in your diet means your body will be chronically dehydrated, every 1g of glycogen is stores alongside 3g of water. Presumably you are taking a freeze-dried probiotic supplement such as acidophilus?

Most shampoos, shower gels, hand washes, toothpastes etc. contain sulphate surfactants, as do many 'gentle' foaming cleansers!! In recent years research has implicated these in psoriasis, dermatitis, rosacea and many other skin conditions and has proven they are powerful irritants down to 1% even on healthy skin (study published in 2010). For reference commercial shampoos are ~20% sulphates. I react to just shampoo bubbles even when rinsed immediately yet this reaction is not visible all over so it took me YEARS to recognise. I only realised how subtle some of the effects were upon quitting, and have only appreciated how much of irritation and inflammation is invisible since then. For some reason much of this knowledge is taking time to filter through to pharmacists, family doctors and even dermatologists.

IMO a lot of your problems are likely about nutrient deficiencies combined with long term use of a powerful irritant. That is not a criticism it is a statement of fact, I can totally see why you have ended up where you are today and really feel for you. It's up to you whether you look into the research yourself or continue to search for that elusive moisturiser.
Well....the only carbs I get are the ones that are unavoidable. See I am neither a type 1 or 2, i am a diabetic that HAS to take medication that causes my sugars to be elevated, erratic, and often much higher than my food and beverage intake would ever make. This means many things need cut that others can tolerate. Neither IBS nor the other, I have gastro-paresis. Although many diets, for gastro paresis, are liquid, no fiber and low to no fats and avoid meats-the only thing I can digest properly/normally is lean meats. Some days I simply can take nothing but a liquid diet and some days i can eat. This makes everything difficult. Because of the severity of my stomach I have seen every type of nutritionist in my area, along with all applicable physicians.

I have done a vast amount of research, keep a journal on everything I have used, with what, reactions etc. I get what you are saying because I do not believe doctors are always right, not even often correct in reality, and I also know what does what to me. See I have had many of my allergies my entire life (thank you Grandmother). My face now though, is a direct cause of trusting two separate dermatologists for over 8 yrs. I am just trying to get through until I am back where I was before this-which from my research and latest derms- I can get back to there.

I am just asking if anyone has/had a situation of steroid induced Anything (rosacea, red face, sd, etc) What gave you relief?? What do you use on your face??

·
Registered
2 Posts
In addition, concerning the moisturisers, the steroid rosacea causes the skin to become hypersensitive and intolerant. Many people in our support group have found that after a few months, a moisturiser that they have previously had a reaction with is better tolerated, as the skin becomes calmer, the longer it has been off steroids. the same is true of cosmetics too. just because you can't tolerate them now does not mean that this is a permanent change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts