Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has recently given birth. Even though she didn't scratch any part of her skin during her pregnancy and applied lots and lots of moisturizers, she still has stretch marks. Do stretch marks go away? How? Please help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
try strivectin, I've been using it on my red stretchmarks and its working pretty good so far and its only the third day, however I've been using it twice a day, once in the am after a shower and once at night and applying it liberally, but it actually works better than cocobutter. Ive also heard that you can go to a dermatologist and he/she can zap em away..depending if he/she has the right equipment and I think its for red scarring. hope that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just had a my son this past May and during my whole pregnancy I applied cocoa butter & did not have one stretch mark until 2 wks before I gave birth. And they were ridiculously bad. My ob/gyn suggested kelocote. I cannot believe how much they have lightened so far. It is a little pricey but price was no object for me, they are from my belly button down - so basically my whole lower abdomen.

I ordered the spray which when applied twice / day should last about 6 wks and it was $89.00 + shipping/handling.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I got no stretch marks on my stomach with my first child, and only a few light ones on the left side of my stomach with my second. (and last child) The only thing that got rid of them was...... a tummy tuck where the skin was cut off. :X

·
Registered
168 Posts
I got no stretch marks on my stomach with my first child, and only a few light ones on the left side of my stomach with my second. (and last child) The only thing that got rid of them was...... a tummy tuck where the skin was cut off. :X
I totally want to do this for that reason. What was your experience like getting the tummy tuck how long were you sore, or in bed for>? Was it very painful>?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I started with the strivectin sd last week I have old silvery stretchmarks (looks like claw marks!) I noticed it started to fill in those deep ridges, so far it's very encouraging, because I couldn't even wear shorts!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cocoa butter is great but I find raw shea butter is the best for strech marks and scars. When using a natural remedy persistence is key! I agree with Gia13ella, in severe cases of stretch marks the doctor can zap em!

·
Registered
4 Posts
i use this cream from Biobeautylabs"dot" com, it's called BioWhite skin bleaching therapy. it worked wonders for my skin marks and sretch marks. it starts working in about three days... love it and you will too. google it, "hollywood lite ning"

·
Registered
60 Posts
Revitol cream is supposed to be a GodSend...here's the product description...its worth a try

Stretch marks are caused when the inner layer of the skin, which is the dermis, breaks and tears. Tearing occurs when there is too much stretching of the skin in areas such as the abdomen, buttocks, thighs, and arms. The skin is elastic; but when it is being stretched beyond its elasticity, tearing may not be avoided unless necessary precautions will be considered. Pregnancy, extreme weight gain and loss, puberty, and bodybuilding can lead to stretch marks. But with the proper skin care, formation of scars may be prevented. And this is where Revitol's Stretch Mark Prevention Cream comes in the picture. With the help of the powerful ingredients of the cream, it works deep into the most affected layer of the skin and from there starts to work on strengthening the tissues that makes the skin more elastic and flexible, eliminating the occurrence of unwanted stretch marks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
cocoa butter should help minimise. use twice a day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also having stretch mark over my abdomen. But i am too worry to use any cream as this is my first baby and i worry about the side effect on baby.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been using a homemade mixture of unrefined raw shea butter and extra virgin olive oil. I had a lot of silvery stretch marks and so far they have been fading and it's only been about 1 1/2 months on this routine. I use an exfoliating brush in the shower and then apply the mixture after I have towel- dried my skin. I told my sister-in-law about this during her pregnancy, and so far she hasn't had any additional stretch marks(this is her 2nd child). Maybe you can give this a try. Good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great info! I just had my first child and sadly did get some stretch marks. I hear it's best if you start treating them right away, so I have been using vitamin E oil and natural coconut oil. I am going to give a few of these other things a try

·
Registered
65 Posts
Some nice natural options are Argan Oil, Cranberry Seed Oil, Borage (one of my favourites), blend with a vitamin e capsule.

Some people are pre-disposed to worse stretch marks than others, it really depends on your skin. But I am sure with patience and diligence they will improve!!

Skin rollers can really help - they have lots of tiny needles to stimulate collagen and elastin.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to give an update on my routine. Well, so far i have been doing the olive oil/shea butter thing for about 2 months now. I'm so excited! I won't say that the stretch marks are completely gone, but they are definitely fading. My mom even noticed a difference. I've been told by others who use a similar technique that it generally takes 6 months to see a drastic change. I'm REALLY trying to be patient, but I am glad to see progress. Good luck to all of you, too!

·
Registered
13 Posts
A friend has recently given birth. Even though she didn't scratch any part of her skin during her pregnancy and applied lots and lots of moisturizers, she still has stretch marks. Do stretch marks go away? How? Please help.
Oh stretch marks are actually cause by over stretching of tissues in case where putting on too much weight at once or due to lossing too much at once. I did heard Vitamin B does help alot for stretch mark and cod fish has that!

I recently got to know of this brand called Bruno Vassari, it has this product called the Straialia meant for anti-stretch mark. I personally haven't tried that but so far i'm very happy with all the products that i have come in contact with! ENOX WRINKLESS PENCIL specially!

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is not any product to reverse the stretch marks. Lasers can remove them very well. Velashape is excellent at reducing the appearance of them as well as tightening up that extra skin after you deliver.
The idea is to lighten them and wear sunscreen. Tanning will darken them.
Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
@anneyeoh: since its your first pregancy, its natural to be skeptic or nervous in using creams or any other product...to be sure, use milk (yes, milk! full cream if you may) and cocoa butter...rub the milk lavishly on your tummy or affected areas then let it dry for about 5 mins...then put on cocoa butter or shea butter before
rinse off in the morning.

while taking a bath, use milk soap...works great in firming your skin as not to leave much stretch marks...apply shea or cocoa butter after bath too then maybe a milk lotion to top it off...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Eventually the skin that is stretch will go back to its normal but not that normal...you need to hydrate yourself in order that the skin will go back to its natural ways...maybe some home remedies would help...just remember that persistence is the key to everything. Doing this diligently will help:
• Milk + almond oil = mix them together, use full cream milk or fresh milk for that matter then massage them on the areas...cover with warm towel for about 15 mins...rinse off with lukewarm water then put on milk lotion lavishly...do this as substitute to soap...
• Petroleum jelly = massage it around the areas lavishly...do this every morning after waking up and before sleeping...
• Lavender Oil – Lavender oil is a highly recommended home remedy for stretch marks. Rubbing a few drops of lavender oil on the affected area twice a day ensures the scars fade quickly. Applying olive oil is also very effective.
• Sandalwood – A great preventive measure for stretch marks is applying sandalwood on the skin daily. It keeps the skin moisturized and prevents it from stretching.

Diet for Stretch Marks
An important aspect in the treatment of stretch marks is eating right. Eat foods that are good for your skin. These include fresh fruits and vegetables, especially those rich in Vitamin A, C and D. These foods improve skin tone and minimize blemishes. Zinc rich foods like nuts and fish also help diminish scars on skin. It is also of great importance that you drink lots of water through the day.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Stretch marks are cutaneous lesions caused by the atrophy of the connective tissue due to a rupture of the superficial elastic fibres in the dermis underneath the basal layer of epidermis. When they appear, they are reddish in color but with time they become pearly white. Once they changed color, it is impossible to make them disappear.

The genetic, hereditary factor plays a great role in the production and maintenance of elastin. Besides, most creams on the market do NOT reach the dermal layer of the skin (they go down only to the basay layer).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts