Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone heard of this product? a glutathione spray directly under your tongue. They say sublingual is the fastest way of absorbing medications.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Fastest way of absorbing but no use with glutathione. Glutathione is used by, found in and depleted in the liver. It is an assistant to the functions of the liver. It is theorised a lot of liver damage by acetaminophen (paracetemol) and alcohol and other toxins are down to rapid and complete depletion of glutathione. N-acetyl-cysteine supplements are good for this, as are glutathione themselves and SAM-e which is s-adenosyl-methionine. SAM-e is actually most promising for liver disease at present, especially alcohol induced. N-acetyl cysteine is the gold standard to be used in paracetamol (acetaminophen/tylenol) overdose. This substance is the ONLY known substance barring a few mushrooms (poison) that cause severe and rapid liver death (necrosis). The only hope in these cases is fast (within 72 hours but preferably 12 hours) treatment with intravenous N-acetyl-cysteine. I advise anyone who takes any acetaminophen products at all to take 600mg of n-acetyl-cysteine with every dose (orally). They are cheap and just a safeguard. (Often we do not realise the number of products that we are taking which have this seemingly benign substance).

As for sublingual glutathione, again, people take meds sublingually to either have a rapid onset of action (recreational drugs that otherwise would be swallowed and slowly absorb) or to avoid first pass liver metabolism. Oestrogens are an example of this as they can cause clotting/stroke/emboli so one way of minimising this is to get it direct into the bloodstream. When patches are not an option sublingual tablets often are preferred. For something you want in the liver that there is no need to get it there quicker it makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
PS--if your goal is skin-lightening with glutathione (as it does inhibit melanin) I personally do not recommend this at all because of too many unknown variables and its method of action. It works (to make this less complicated) via l-dopa. I can explain more scientifically but long story short it does inhibit melanin but I come from a family with parkinsons and would not risk this interaction and would not recommend people do this. I know people will and there are arguments for it but if that is your goal is skin whitening I am wary of this though everyone totes it as safe. It is true that it is found throughout cells in the body and in theory there should be no toxicity but primarily I see it as beneficial for the liver and see no studies definitively saying it does not screw with l-dopa in excessive doses. (This is of personal concern to me with my family history).

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
What's the theory with this: you spray it under your tongue & what then? Are you suggesting this as some sort of skin lightening strategy? If so, I haven't seen any evidence to support it. Even all those glutathione supplements people are gobbling (& , scarier still, injecting!) to lighten their skin are not supported by solid studies. Typically, they are accompanied by trumped up claims & pseudo-science from the vendors themselves.

Thanks, Lexi, for the info re liver toxicity & acetomenophen. Since hearing about this a few months back, I've become hyper-cautious about taking these pain killers. I'd heard of iv n-acetyl-cysteine used as an antidote to an overdose of acetomenophen but I'd never heard of it being available as a supplement a person could take as a precaution. Your post was a great read.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
so you just mix it in your water like a lemonade mix drink? one teaspoon?
1/4 teaspoon is 700mg....once or twice a day on an empty stomach.
I just roll up my sleeves and throw it straight in my mouth and chase it with water.

I dont like messing with mixing powders with liquid. I take so many powders they go straight from the spoon to mouth.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Ondine, like many snake oils or quirky side-effects there were studies in the Phillipines that showed Glutathione did inhibit melanin...but I do not buy it either!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
PS Ondine--if you have GNC in Canada or most ask if they carry and likely they will. If not you can ask the pharmacist for "mucomyst" it is powder n-acetyl-cysteine. They are orally available but the efficacy is not that great but better than nothing. ANY overdose or suspected overdose should be handled in the local emergency room with IV NAC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i use the gutatione skin lightener calles Hollywood Lite Ning, it works great if you perfer the buttock injectable, i started out with that and it's very fast acting, what was good for getting me to where i wanted to get to,and just maintain with capsules... i get my hollywood lite ning from Biobeautylabs.com

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I don't want to bleach the underside of my tongue

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
lol... Yeah I saw a site selling the spray. I thought it was silly, because either way it will be absorbed and dissolved by the GI Tract. So it will be waisted money. I read that if the l-glutathione is sent directly to the veins, in time your skin will become lighter. Because it is the side effect of having large amounts of glutathione in the body. I also read there is possibly another way to lighten as it "can be raised by increased intake of the precursor cysteine".

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
lol... Yeah I saw a site selling the spray. I thought it was silly, because either way it will be absorbed and dissolved by the GI Tract. So it will be waisted money. I read that if the l-glutathione is sent directly to the veins, in time your skin will become lighter. Because it is the side effect of having large amounts of glutathione in the body. I also read there is possibly another way to lighten as it "can be raised by increased intake of the precursor cysteine".
If that is the theory it is accurate in terms of doing it under the tongue. The tongue is more or less a way to give yourself an injection without injecting a substance. As I said in an earlier post, to avoid the GI Tract and liver things often are taken sublingually. Look under your tongue, it has huge veins and also is thin skin so a substance does go into the blood stream...but this does not prove this theory of glutathione usage!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
No derm prescribes glutathione for skin lightening. I haven't come across a single perr reviewed article supporting its use for this reason. Some even say that glutathione can support melanin production!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
No derm prescribes glutathione for skin lightening. I haven't come across a single perr reviewed article supporting its use for this reason. Some even say that glutathione can support melanin production!
There are anectdotal studies of suppression of melanin by glutathione via l-dopa mediated responses. They are NON-conclusive and further anything that screws with l-dopa is far too risky. Ondine your instincts on this one are 10000% right. Stay away from this as an approach.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I'd NEVER pop lightening pills, inject myself with anything or use any dodgy product. No scientific backing= no usage for me. These products promie fast & easy results & many desperate people want almost instant results. Speed is not a priority for me or I'd've simply stuck with the HQ/RA that works like a charm on my skin & NOT tried anything else or experimented with compounding.

Something is just not kosher about sprays, injections or pills.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh thanks guys for the information and comments about this product..i think people should learn to know more about the new product before using it...to be safe!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
but still i heard that there are lot of people using glutatione. intravenous or pills or the new spray one...and haven't heard any complains about it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts