Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that sulfur helps with acne. Does anyone know where to buy it? I've looked on some of the sites I use to buy ingredients for my vitamin c serum, but either I'm looking for the wrong thing, or they don't carry it.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Sulfur has been around a long long time and sure it works, but it can discolor the skin and there are lots of better products now.
(quote from aafp.org 1/15/2000)

"Sulfur Preparations

Sulfur preparations have been used to treat acne since the time of Hippocrates. Sulfur is combined with various other acne medications in many over-the-counter washes and cleansing bars. This agent has been shown to be effective in the treatment of inflammatory acne lesions, most likely as a result of keratolysis. However, efficacy may also be related to an irritative effect.12

Preparations containing sulfur can cause some skin discoloration and can have a displeasing odor. Consequently, sulfur medications are now used less often in patients with acne.

The combination of sulfacetamide and sulfur (Novacet, Sulfacet-R) can be effective in the treatment of inflammatory skin lesions without the unpleasant side effects that occur with sulfur preparations alone. One study of sulfacetamide-sulfur lotion showed an 83 percent reduction in inflammatory lesions after 12 weeks of therapy.13"

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fawnie!

Any idea where to buy the stuff? I want to make a sulfur mask - or a mask with a little sulfur in it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Smelly mask from Mario Badescu- Drying Mask. LOVE IT. Good for my zit filled chest in the summer too. (I know.. I love everything from every brand!!!)

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
I've heard that sulfur helps with acne. Does anyone know where to buy it? I've looked on some of the sites I use to buy ingredients for my vitamin c serum, but either I'm looking for the wrong thing, or they don't carry it.
To be honest, my derm told me to stay away from sulfur products. I used a product of Eminence that contained sulfur. It made my acne flare up big time. I had to eventually take Accutane to clear my acne.

If you suffer from acne, I would really do your research on sulfur before using it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
sulfur didnt work for me and i spent a fortune on it ne who, i think benzone peroxide is alot better for getting rid of acne!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sulfur is not recommended for acne because it is very irritating to the skin. It can inflame it, making acne worse. It also smells really, really bad. However, if you insist on a mask containing sulfur, Queen Helene's Mint Julep masque contains sulfur.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts