Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that summer is about to end, does anyone have tips on how to keep a tan when you live in the city? I know they are many options but really can't find which one is the best, any suggestions?
Jane Xx

·
Registered
37 Posts
hit the tanning salon. make sure they skin type you and work to create a maintenance plan to keep the color you want.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Now that summer is about to end, does anyone have tips on how to keep a tan when you live in the city? I know they are many options but really can't find which one is the best, any suggestions?
Jane Xx
Use a sunless tanner. Don't go tanning in a tanning booth PLEASE. It ages you! All the work we do to make our skins look better is totally wasted if we tan!!!!!

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
its not really a chemical, sunless tanner interacts with the dead skin cells located in the outer layer of the epidermis, a color change occurs which usually lasts about seven to ten days from the initial application

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, my friends told me that sunbeds may be risky for my skin, but then so many other people say the contrary... You don't know who to listen!

It's when I read in the news that the World Health Organisation declared in a report that sunbeds are as lethal as cigarettes that I realised... That the best solution is to stay away from sunbeds!!

I don't want to be toldin 5 years time that I got skin cancer because of my vanity.

Some of you talked about really good fake tan products, can you tell me which one is the best? And is it better to get a spray tan or to use fake tan at home?

Thanks

Jane Xx

·
Registered
15 Posts
BeautyJane- I would encourage you to read this. The IARC mis-interpreted the truth to none other than to benefit their organization. Now, they must eat their words and admit they were wrong.

Quote: Originally Posted by

Even Vincent Cogliano, head of the IARC Monographs program at the International Agency for Research on Cancer-- where the World Health Organization-sanction group's debate originated -- admits the results on which many of the conclusions are based are "limited."

"Most (of the 2009 position) is based on the 2006 working group report and we do not have the gold standard, double-blind type of research to work with," he said.

When asked why tanning beds were made such a focus of this WHO/IARC position, Cogliano said: "It was our 100th year and we wanted to pick something that looked at the past and into the future. UV radiation and the sun is (from the) past, tanning beds (are linked to) the future."

The IARC research working group of international experts on skin cancer and UV radiation conducted a "systemic review" of all literature and studies regarding UV radiation and skin cancer and sunbed use.

The working group's review looked at 23 previously published studies that investigated the association between indoor tanning and melanoma risk in fair-skinned populations.

But the studies included only fair-skinned people, who have been long proven to be more susceptible to melanoma.

Cogliano said the use of fair-haired study subjects was natural since they are the ones who get the disease most often.

Data from 19 of the studies was then used to determine that the relative risk associated with use of indoor tanning facilities could be projected to be 14% higher compared to those who never use indoor tanning facilities, in the test subjects reviewed.

None of these was double-blind, placebo-controlled studies, as they simply looked back over other studies and tried as best they could to amalgamate all the results.

Original source: The Kingston Whig Standard

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
BeautyJane- I would encourage you to read this. The IARC mis-interpreted the truth to none other than to benefit their organization. Now, they must eat their words and admit they were wrong.

Original source: The Kingston Whig Standard
Nothing learned here. Tanning booths, aging booths, cross-linking booths, cancer booths, wrinkle booths.......stay away if you love your skin.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Anyway....I like to use a bronzer like Guerlain Summer Stones to give a nice glow all over face and body. It comes in a jar and the "stones" are balls of various shades of bronze and gold and shimmer. You use a kabuki brush to dust the color on and buff so that it looks natural.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Kama,.......I thought we all had the same seasons???? Are you sure it's Spring? what I would give for Spring!!

Hot as HELL here, and going for a spray tan tomorrow. Rain or shine, spray tans work well for me-

·
Registered
529 Posts
how can we have the same seaons lol we are on the otherside of the world!
when its summer for me its winter for you.

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
how can we have the same seaons lol we are on the otherside of the world!
when its summer for me its winter for you.
Hmmmm guess that makes sense, I thought it was warm right now in Oz, warm as in summer warm. Guess, I was wrong-

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Yeah, my friends told me that sunbeds may be risky for my skin, but then so many other people say the contrary... You don't know who to listen!

It's when I read in the news that the World Health Organisation declared in a report that sunbeds are as lethal as cigarettes that I realised... That the best solution is to stay away from sunbeds!!

I don't want to be toldin 5 years time that I got skin cancer because of my vanity.

Some of you talked about really good fake tan products, can you tell me which one is the best? And is it better to get a spray tan or to use fake tan at home?

Thanks

Jane Xx
Please don't tell me you're actually serious...

Did it really take a study from WHO to tell you that tanning beds are bad?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Hmmm.. My skin is naturally tanned esp. in Summer! Looking for ways to get rid of my tan??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrats on providing the worst advice in SCT history.
Totally agree!!

Sunbeds age your skin so much AND cause SKIN CANCER!! There's no way, I'm going to use one! You guys should sign this petition to ban unmanned salons and ask for stricter regulations on sunbeds!! (sttropezskinsmart.org)

I haven't heard of any cream to get rid of your tan.... sorry pumi!

But which fake tan products are you guys using that looks natural?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will agree with you there- no one should ever go to an unmanned salon. The salon I go to has certified staff to guide you through the process.

Good sunless products are mystic and Amber Sun.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts