Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...I am new to this site.
I have an allergic reaction to the sun. I first get a bumpy rash that turns into very itchy tiny blisters. They bleed easily, forming scabs and then mild scars. After I become tanned and my skin becomes tougher, the problem is less severe. I use very strong sunscreen (50-70 spf full spectrum)...applied often, but I still get the bumps.
I have been to several dermatologists over the years with no remedies which work. One prescribed a maleria medication to take for several months before summer and another one prescribed clobetasol propionate ointment...neither helped, the last suggested pretanning to help my skin adjust to the sun.

Anyone have similar skin problems that you have found a solution for?
Itchy in Oregon!!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi karen
Welcome!
I can certainly empathize with you. Here is some info you might find interesting.
Ask an Expert: Treatment For Sun Poison

It suggests anti-histamines before exposure to sun. Such as, Claritin, Zyrtec.

In addition, you could be sensitive to the ingredients in the sunscreen.
This is not meant as medical advice, and I would still seek medical attention.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Karen I sympatize with you, Have you tried without sunscreen? if yes do you have the same reactions?

I thought I had sun allergy, although it wasn't as severe as what you have, until I switch sunscreen for another brand, all my itchy & redness were gone. try sunscreen without chemical in it. I hope for you that's the only problem and not the sun!

Mexitan.com
Burt's Bees Chemical-Free Sunscreen SPF 30, 100% Natural - 3.5 fl oz

Fawnie as some that she can suggest you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your responses. I take a Claritin daily for Angio Edema. It is frightening to think how itchy I would be without that!

I have not put on sunscreen at times on cloudy days and still gotten the bumps. They are worse around my ankles and behind my knees. I will try the non-chemical sunscreens.

The Solar Urticaria is a possibility. I will research it further.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts