Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen "that does not clog pores etc" BUT I really am in need of a complete block that does not sweat off, especially onto clothing and into eyes. I live in Miami Beach now and to say it is hot and humid is an understatement. The problem is that if I put ANY serious subblock (the only ones that work even a bit) then I end up getting the sweat of the sublock in my eyes, on my sunglasses and start sweating white! It makes the beach an impossible venture (which is why I never used to wear block at all) and it makes a walk with my dogs or down to the shops impossible. I know people will talk about all these absorbent screens and YES I have very good 15 and even 30 but I need at least a 45-50 with these rays. I even tried to get zinc cream to blend with a 15 to see if that may be better. Result---it all washed off and my arms are black again and my face is red (retin-a + sun) and it was only a short bike ride that did that to me!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I just bought Bioderma for oily skin sure hope I like it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi Lexi,

My dermatologist recommended Celazome Moisturizing Sunscreen SPF 30. I was on antibiotic tetracycline at the time and this was recommended. Did not clog my pores, sweat or rub off. My skin is combination in summer and dry in winter. I use different products for different seasons. This is a good one for the summer months where humidity is high. I don't live in Florida but Massachusetts can get very stick/humid. Right now humidity here is over 70%!! This works great for me and doesn't leave a white residue either.
HTH

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi Lexi,

My dermatologist recommended Celazome Moisturizing Sunscreen SPF 30. I was on antibiotic tetracycline at the time and this was recommended. Did not clog my pores, sweat or rub off. My skin is combination in summer and dry in winter. I use different products for different seasons. This is a good one for the summer months where humidity is high. I don't live in Florida but Massachusetts can get very stick/humid. Right now humidity here is over 70%!! This works great for me and doesn't leave a white residue either.
HTH
that looks like a good one, Toni, since it does contain Tinosorb (Octinoxate)

Active ingredients
Oxybenzone, known as benzophenone-3 (5.0%), Octinoxate, known as ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate (7.5%), Octisalate, known as ethylhexyl salicylate (5.0%), Homosalate (5.0%).

MEXORYL (ecamsule) = octocrylene + avobenzone together

TINOSORB is the trade name of a number of UV absorbers:
Bemotrizinol (Tinosorb S)
Bisoctrizole (Tinosorb M)
Octyl methoxycinnamate (Tinosorb OMC

It's a bit daunting, but if you look for either of these 2 you should be good and safe.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I am just so fed up getting sun-lotion in my eyes and yesterday I was out and some store security guard said "Gee you have a lot of sunscreen on" I looked and what had been clear was oozing outof my face and chest as a white cream.

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Thanks guys! I am just so fed up getting sun-lotion in my eyes and yesterday I was out and some store security guard said "Gee you have a lot of sunscreen on" I looked and what had been clear was oozing outof my face and chest as a white cream.
Try using less.

You could also try one of these.
Colorescience

Sunscreen is a tricky balance. What works for one, doesn't always work for the next.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Mineral makeup with an SPF of 30 works well for the face, neck, decolette + hands. Seems to work as a total block for me when I use it for walks on the beach.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
This is a quote from "sunscreens" notepad at MakeupAlley.com

"On the other hand, use of a foundation or mineral make-up with SPF as
the sole means of UV protection may be problematic because many people do not apply make-up at 2 mg/cm2, the application rate at which all sunscreens are tested, as required by the FDA. Furthermore, mineral make-up tends to be less dense than sunscreen lotions/creams (which tend to have a density around 1 g/mL), so you would likely need to apply more than 1/4 tsp of mineral make-up to your face to obtain the labeled SPF. Finally, many foundations are not UVA-protective or photostable."
Plus titanium dioxide (the screening agent in most MMU) is low on the PPD scale - it usually is only 4-6 PPD even with a high % of TiDO in a liquid SS. So mineral makeup is better than nothing but not good enough for prolonged or intense sun exposure. I know it's tempting because it's so easy and looks so good and you don't burn, but UVA=ageing and it doesn't protect you. The damage shows up later.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For me 30 is not sufficient. I am in Miami Beach in the dead of summer, I have had 50 on and still get colour. The problem I have is that while they absorb in the aircon as soon as you sweat the white thickness of the higher spf's tends to come pouring off of you. It is annoying enough for a day at the beach but impossible otherwise. It is one reason I tanned for so many years because I always hated the feel of any sunblock on me, including tanning oils. I was just into not wearing anything on my skin. Now I try and end up sweating white!

·
Registered
316 Posts
While I was at Sephora, looking for a good SPF for oily, acne prone skin I ran across this:

Amazon.com: Peter Thomas Roth Oily Problem Skin Instant Mineral Powder SPF 30: Beauty

I didn't buy it because I wanted to go read about it first (haven't gotten to that yet). But it looks like really good stuff. You just swipe on after makeup and go. You can also carry this around for touchups during the day because it is a retractable brush. Well, now I'm talking myself into wanting it more! If anyone has tried this, let me know!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Vananners, the PPD is just as important as the SPF!!!! Mineral sunscreen is only zinc and titanium dioxide and the ppd is too low, plus powder doesn't cover as well as a liquid SS. It can be used on top of SS to take the shine off but MMU and powder SS can't take the place of regular liquid or cream SS!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually mix zinc for babies bottoms in with anything I use. It really is TOTAL block but I only use it where I get colour no matter what unless I use zinc. It is not easy. And today there was an article in Daily Mail (UK) Suncream may be linked to Alzheimer's disease, say experts | Mail Online about how sunscreen may cause alzgheimers. Now this is no academic newspaper but the citations are very reputable.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi There,

try using Invisible Zinc (information here: zincsunblock.co.nz)

Maybe read the feedbacks of customers, it a real good product!!

Regards,
tgdesign

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I also have not been able to use the La Roche Posay could not use cause this irrated my skin, Bioderma just did not sink into my skin very well, I did look on makeup alley for sunscreen reviews though and at the mo i have just been trying a few out that I can buy in boots here in the uk! I also have some zinc that im using in my moistuizer for added sunscreen protection!

Im quite tempted next time to buy some of sunscreen on garden of wisdom and diy a sunscreen for myself, may be if we all chime intogether we could come up with a good one!

·
Registered
679 Posts
my friends husband is an engineer in road construction so he is out in the sun and heat almost every day. he uses neutrogena 75 cream. he also has fair skin. he liked it because it didn't come off with sweat. he reapplied it at his lunch. he has some tan but he hasn't burned all summer.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
the thing I've had with Neutrogena's SS is that they prevent burn (UVB rays) but they don't block UVA very well so the damage is invisible until later when....voila! wrinkles!!! I always get a tan when I've worn Neutrogena...no matter how high the spf.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts