Skin Care Talk banner

381 - 400 of 437 Posts

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
Quote: Originally Posted by

Is there a magic spell I have to chant while stirring?

Drat...I forgot!!! The SPELL!!!!~*~*~*~

Goes like this:

~*What a dratted mess this is, *~
~*This lecithin don't blend worth shiz *~
~*But that tis not the fault of want *~
~*Merely folly, cuz I think I can't. *~

Little bit at a time....sprinkle it on...then stir...then a bit more...and stir. Could be the lecithin is a bit water logged, it is sticky and melty at room temp so it did what it will. Not to worry though...warm, it blend, add some more....it will go...and mush the clots...and blend...mixers are useful for that sort of thing, or a strong arm with a mini whip.

However for SS...really really really should be using a blender umhambi.

I am fired from the poetry department

·
Registered
753 Posts
I must be doing something wrong. I ground the lecithin granules in a mortar and pestle. The lecithin turned into a paste (normal?
). I then put it into a cheap cooking oil, heated it and stirred. Some of it dissolved, then rest stuck to the spoon in a lump. I let it sit for around 20 minutes, stirred again and I can't get it to dissolve completely. Is there a magic spell I have to chant while stirring?

Just found this: Buy Lecithin Organic / Natural benefits uses UK

Could I use it the same way and with the same amount you would any other lecithin?
I have bought this lecithin. It's nice, non-GMO, I use it to make my SS recipe, but it's smelly. GOW's does not smell at all and it's non-GMO too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I must be doing something wrong. I ground the lecithin granules in a mortar and pestle. The lecithin turned into a paste (normal?
).
Yes, this is normal. A portion of the lecithin dissolves,the rest clumps.

When dissolved in warm water, the granules gradually getting smaller and dissolve, the water swells up like a pudding. With the granules you need patience. This method requires that you usually pour the fat phase in the water phase, ie the opposite of usual. Room temperature or warm water works best. A stick blender is one of the best investments you can make for DIY creams, lotions etc.
Gerti

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have found that granules just melt in the oil phase of the recipe just like waxy emulsifiers. It just need some more time comparing to other emulsifiers.
There is also lecithin powder which is easier to melt.
I'm still stuck with liquid lecithin cause of the simplicity, no heat required. You can just add 2% poly 80 to the water phase and 6-8% liquid lecithin, combine and stir. To make something creamier, add 2% cetyl alcohol, it also serves as co-emulsifier. Cetyl melts easy and fast at around 50 Celsius.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yes, this is normal. A portion of the lecithin dissolves,the rest clumps.

When dissolved in warm water, the granules gradually getting smaller and dissolve, the water swells up like a pudding. With the granules you need patience. This method requires that you usually pour the fat phase in the water phase, ie the opposite of usual. Room temperature or warm water works best. A stick blender is one of the best investments you can make for DIY creams, lotions etc.
Gerti
So, is it okay to dissolve them in water without grinding first? Is the SS very thick, as I'm debating which mixer to use. I have a Braun hand blender with a whisk attachment or a mini mixer. The mini mixer has a flat bottom, so if I only make a small batch, I don't know if there will be enough in the bowl for the knives to whisk.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have found that granules just melt in the oil phase of the recipe just like waxy emulsifiers. It just need some more time comparing to other emulsifiers.
There is also lecithin powder which is easier to melt.
I'm still stuck with liquid lecithin cause of the simplicity, no heat required. You can just add 2% poly 80 to the water phase and 6-8% liquid lecithin, combine and stir. To make something creamier, add 2% cetyl alcohol, it also serves as co-emulsifier. Cetyl melts easy and fast at around 50 Celsius.
I tried long and hard to dissolve the ground granules in the oil, and it just didn't work. I will do a test in the next few days, and try to dissolve them without grinding first, as this left me with a lump before I even started. This whole DIY stuff is really interesting, I am just not very adventurous and creative, and don't try out enough. I prefer to rely on the expertise of others.

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
Quote: Originally Posted by

Is the SS very thick

It's thick...really must disperse the ZnO particles EVENLY through out the mess of goo. That is the primary aspect that separates the DIY version from the commercial version. It will also affect the SPF and UVA rating. It IS very important. The SS at present has Not been tested. It is based on countless ingredients lists and tons of research....which boiled down to ingredients and blending the heck out of it.

I have fired the SS off to the lab for testing...should know in about 2 weeks exactly what it is.

·
Registered
299 Posts
So, is it okay to dissolve them in water without grinding first? .
Yes, I don`t have a grinder. You can also leave the lecithin soak in water in the fridge over night. Then stir, stir, blend, blend. You`ll see it`ll work. Don`t give up. Easier it is to use liquid lecithin - but this is way more economical plus you`ll master a challenge

Gerti

·
Registered
299 Posts
I tried long and hard to dissolve the ground granules in the oil, and it just didn't work.
If you go this route you`ll have to add the oils drop by drop. Use pistil grind away, add drop of oil use pistil, grind away, add drop of oil and on and on. Might get soar muscles....haha. Time consuming procedure. Easier add lecithin to water, set aside, let soak. - do something else in the mean time

Gerti

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you go this route you`ll have to add the oils drop by drop. Use pistil grind away, add drop of oil use pistil, grind away, add drop of oil and on and on. Might get soar muscles....haha. Time consuming procedure. Easier add lecithin to water, set aside, let soak. - do something else in the mean time

Gerti
Works like a charm!!
I tested it today, and didn't even use warm water. Put it in a little bottle, shook it a few times and bingo.

@dragoN: now that I have my lecithin problem sorted out, would you say that one of the 2 SS recipes is easier for a newbie, or which one would you recommend?

·
Registered
214 Posts
It's thick...really must disperse the ZnO particles EVENLY through out the mess of goo. That is the primary aspect that separates the DIY version from the commercial version. It will also affect the SPF and UVA rating. It IS very important. The SS at present has Not been tested. It is based on countless ingredients lists and tons of research....which boiled down to ingredients and blending the heck out of it.

I have fired the SS off to the lab for testing...should know in about 2 weeks exactly what it is.
Now that I have my lecithin problem sorted out, would you say that one of the 2 SS recipes is easier for a newbie, or which one would you recommend?

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
The formula in Dempeaux's tutorial. It's a nice one. And Dempeaux did an awesome job putting the tutorial together. Way the heck better than I ever could.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

What are you testing it for Dragon? UVA or spf?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

381 - 400 of 437 Posts