Skin Care Talk banner

401 - 420 of 437 Posts

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
Yes, using the Invisible ZnO at 20%.
Minus the grape seed extract. As that I know is not going to make a rats butt of difference and you can add whatever you prefer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm a newbie and try to make this SS, and I just order all the ingredients from SEA but they gave me the Micronized-Uncoated Zinc Oxide>99.5%, 300x300x20nm, Can I use this one to make this SS??

·
Registered
44 Posts
i made this ss (original recipe - don't have lecithin) twice now once using hemp oil, the other using rice bran oil. i blended it as instructed - very, very well in all phases.

i was really looking forward to boosting the ZnO content of my ss and using something that was non irritating to my eyes (very sensitive - prone to redness, irritability, etc....).

i used SEA ingredients as well - hemp oil, 1% HA serum, zinc, sea emollient, vit e, etc. unfortunately, both times i found the ss to be very sticky/tacky and difficult to spread - my result did not feel nice on my skin
. i should note that i added niacinamide (5%) in lieu of the gse, but don't think that should have effected the feel of the sunscreen, right? i use it over the DragoN Vitamin C serum (which i love - thank you!) nothing more. is this the result of others, or is mine coming out wrong?

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #405
Nani, I no longer use the original recipe that I started this thread with. Some like the texture, others don't. Everyone is different.

I am personally for the lecithin over poly 80 for myself. Affects the feel of the sunscreen a great deal. Also, Vitamin E water soluble over the oil will affect the spread of the SS.

The "feel" is a subjective thing....not everyone is going to like something.
Quote: Originally Posted by

Micronized-Uncoated Zinc Oxide>99.5%, 300x300x20nm, Can I use this one to make this SS??

yes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
this may sound stupid, but how does this sunscreen manage to stay together when it has oil and water? (2 repelling ingredients)

·
Registered
412 Posts
this may sound stupid, but how does this sunscreen manage to stay together when it has oil and water? (2 repelling ingredients)
Look at the recipe...it has oil and water AND an emulsifier : Polysorbate80. The Poly80 is there to "marry" the oil and water contents.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dahatre

The anhydrous formula with Shea Butter, Cocoa butter, oils, lecithin and beeswax does the same, is quite runny [ made with liquid lecithin, but I prefer the powder, I like a stiff lotion], but the trade off is, it feels greasy, but doesn't look greasy. I like it when my skin is feeling dry. Makes a good body SS as well and doesn't break my skin out.
Could you clarify the sequence for mixing the anhydrous shea butter sunscreen please?!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I made a zinc SS with just Cupuacu butter and a little orange peel butter. I melted it until soft then beat in the zinc powder at 25% concentration. Its wonderful! You *could* use coconut oil Im sure, but rmmbr that it will get liquid when its warm. The zinc powder might stiffen it up a bit tho.
This sounds wonderful! Could I use cocoa butter and shea butter for that? What proportions did you use?

Would it make a difference what kind of Zinc I'm using?

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #413
I believe the Nth degree in frustration and cost. They have concluded, they cannot test it. The analyzer cannot test a mineral sunscreen! I called the manufacturer. Same deal. They sell a machine that can "test" chemical SS but not mineral. Mineral SS is 5.6 X more dense than organic. The tech places the sample and it gets mangled. The data it spews out...useless. The lab manager agreed with me on that one. Nano boys called over to see what the heck they were doing too. So....back to square one.

SPF of 16 and a stellar UVA rating out of the cosmos. But that means Jack sh*t as it should be well over 30+ based on the mineral content and spread. I squawked and bellowed for the raw data, went over it with the lab manager and he agreed with me....bogus. The analyzer has proved to be incapable as based on the requirements to test mineral SS.

So far have not found a lab with the capacity to test it locally
They all use the same piece of crap $17500.00 machine FDA approved unit for in vitro testing.

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #415
Not really...still pretty good based on the research out of Australia regarding mineral SS and the error....generally another + 10 SPF can be added to that.

The UVA was a 4 star...damn fine.

But I can't pick and choose the data, even though the machines cannot adequately test it.

I will still use my DIY SS, knowing full well the research behind it. The analyzer cannot be recalibrated to handle mineral SS. That is the fault of machine design, not the SS.

And parking me butt at the equator for 6-8 hours a day in the sun, by the sea without burning.

·
Registered
223 Posts
DragoN,

Don't get me wrong! I trust your recipe.

By the way, correct me if I am wrong; you have a new recipe of SS; right? If so, may you share it with us?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I believe the Nth degree in frustration and cost. They have concluded, they cannot test it. The analyzer cannot test a mineral sunscreen! I called the manufacturer. Same deal. They sell a machine that can "test" chemical SS but not mineral. Mineral SS is 5.6 X more dense than organic. The tech places the sample and it gets mangled. The data it spews out...useless. The lab manager agreed with me on that one. Nano boys called over to see what the heck they were doing too. So....back to square one.

SPF of 16 and a stellar UVA rating out of the cosmos. But that means Jack sh*t as it should be well over 30+ based on the mineral content and spread. I squawked and bellowed for the raw data, went over it with the lab manager and he agreed with me....bogus. The analyzer has proved to be incapable as based on the requirements to test mineral SS.

So far have not found a lab with the capacity to test it locally
They all use the same piece of crap $17500.00 machine FDA approved unit for in vitro testing.
Hi dragoN,

perhaps you can contact Heike at .: Naturkosmetik selber machen | Cremes, Lotionen, Fluids, Seren, Shampoos, Duschgele auf Basis pflanzlicher Öle und Kräuter | olionatura.de :. . Maybe she knows of an address where you can have it tested.

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #418
Hello Toothpaste,
Thank you for the vote of confidence. Umhambi...I will do that, and I need to know the cost. Germany is generally brutally expensive.

25% ZnO updated version and the current mix I am using, which I by far prefer over the others. It's light, spreads nicely and stays put without feeling greasy. Very moisturizing on my skin.

Oils\t21%
Sea emollient\t22%
Vitamin E acetate\t1%
H20\t17%
Lecithin\t8%
Dexpanthenol 3%
ZnO\t25%
Poly 80\t2%
CoQ10\t1%

Go here to calculate the exact amounts based on the total you want to make.

I make 100mls at a shot.

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #419
Before you shoot me...that lecithin is the soy lecithin powder the cheap stuff. You can get it at most health food stores or online. Try to make sure it is the powder and not the granules.

·
Administrator
33,737 Posts
Hello Toothpaste,
Thank you for the vote of confidence. Umhambi...I will do that, and I need to know the cost. Germany is generally brutally expensive.

25% ZnO updated version and the current mix I am using, which I by far prefer over the others. It's light, spreads nicely and stays put without feeling greasy. Very moisturizing on my skin.

Oils\t21%
Sea emollient\t22%
Vitamin E acetate\t1%
H20\t17%
Lecithin\t8%
Dexpanthenol 3%
ZnO\t25%
Poly 80\t2%
CoQ10\t1%

Go here to calculate the exact amounts based on the total you want to make.

I make 100mls at a shot.
Oils?? Are you using several or just one? If I were going to take a guess of which oil........I would say you are using Borage??

And CoQ10......interesting.

Thanks for sharing this!!

401 - 420 of 437 Posts