Skin Care Talk banner

21 - 40 of 437 Posts

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Looks roughly about right. Check with them on the specific gravity, over 5.7 ....I won't vouch that it will work.

The price is the best on your side of the ocean. It would cost $0.94 US in ZnO for my recipe. = Cheap.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Beautiful DragoN ....Thank you!!!

DIY

·
Registered
753 Posts
Anyone tried Garden of Wisdom's zinc oxide yet?

http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalo...1/3906462.htm:
Zinc Oxide (micronized) / 4 oz

Price: \t$4.70
Availability: \tin stock
Prod. Code: \tPWD-90

This is zinc oxide that has been *miconized* to a size .12 micron.
Used in mineral make-up because this size micron apparently
spreads better with less visibility.
I have tried the regular zinc from GOW and I'm happy with it. It's not too white on my skin. My SS is simple with water + oils + lecithin. I put the zinc during the cool down phase and whip it with a steady mixer and that makes things easier. I use GSE and put it in an airless pump bottle.

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
GrannzD,

If zou wish to use a preservative zou can....its up to zou.
I prefer not. I keep mz bottles and mixing sterile. I dont stick mz fingers into anzthing. I have not needed one as a result. I have it, I dont use it unless I want something around past 3 months....I make it fresh and dont worrz.

Preservatives are designed to bugger up the cell membranes of living organisms, its whz thez are effective....however, the backlash of that, is that some people are also sensitive to the same effect of said preservative.

Preservatives extend the shelf life bz killing off micro organisms...if zou dont introduce the bugs into the mix in the first place...zou dont need it.

Preservatives have their place where thez are warranted, but otherwise ...I choose not to use them, EOs as preservative, I do use. Again, that will be based on a persons tolerance for the EOs ...everzbodz is different.

The SKB I use alreadz has phenoxzethanl....if someone is selling it and sazs otherwise.....I personallz would not believe it for a second.

Its zour call.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Many many thanks for that recipe DragoN..as a newbie can i ask you for a simple ss in powder form?Just to use it through the day for more protection..

·
Registered
753 Posts
Many many thanks for that recipe DragoN..as a newbie can i ask you for a simple ss in powder form?Just to use it through the day for more protection..
You should not use zinc in it's powder form cause it's bad to inhale it!

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Powder SS with good reviews. I have not used either of them.

Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral SPF 30

Ingredients
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (15%), Zinc Oxide (10%); Inactive Ingredients: Mica, Silica, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch (Corn), Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate) (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) (Vitamin C), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Salix Alba (Willow Bark) Extract (Willow), Iron Oxides

Bare Escentuals
SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen

- Titanium Dioxide 12%- Sunscreen
Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Lycium Chinensis (Lycii Berry) Extract, Ranunculus Ficaria Root Extract, Silica. (+/-): Mica, Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, 77492, 77499), Ultramarines (Ci 77007), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (Ci 77163).

• low (spf 2-5)\tmoderate (spf 6-11)\thigh (spf 12-19)\tultra high (spf >20)
    titanium dioxide\t<4%\t8%\t12% \t20%
    titanium dioxide, micronized\t2%\t4%\t6%\t10%
    zinc oxide\t5%\t10% \t15%\t25%
    zinc oxide, micronized\t3%\t7.5%\t12%\t20%

·
Registered
581 Posts

Ingredients
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (15%), Zinc Oxide (10%); Inactive Ingredients: Mica, Silica, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch (Corn), Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate) (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) (Vitamin C), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Salix Alba (Willow Bark) Extract (Willow), Iron Oxides

Bare Escentuals
SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen

Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Lycium Chinensis (Lycii Berry) Extract, Ranunculus Ficaria Root Extract, Silica. (+/-): Mica, Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, 77492, 77499), Ultramarines (Ci 77007), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (Ci 77163).

Thank you very much for the suggestions, I' ll check them both..

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Altho it has been determined that retinyl palmitate in sunscreen doesnt cause cancer, it does generate free radicals so I avoid it.

"One of the primary concerns about retinyl palmitate cited by the Environmental Working Group in its annual sunscreen report is that when the compound is exposed to ultraviolet A (UVA) radiation, it can result in the generation of oxygen radicals, or free radicals. Since 2002, there have been eight in vitro (test tube) studies using mouse lymphoma cell and human skin Jurkat T-cell cultures demonstrating that retinyl palmitate can produce free radicals, which can disrupt cell function. "

Analysis Finds Sunscreens Containing Retinyl Palmitate Do Not Cause Skin Cancer

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Quote: Originally Posted by

Altho it has been determined that retinyl palmitate in sunscreen doesnt cause cancer, it does generate free radicals so I avoid it.

Ditto Fawnie on that, however vitamin A is a essential component in the anti aging battle and is proven to reduce wrinkles and improve epidermal function in people over 80 years old [ pretty good]...and so it goes in my night serums etc.etc...but not day.

Also...I avoid Ti02...photocatalytic, etc,etc,,,

·
Registered
155 Posts
I saw on another website that making a zinc oxide sunscreen is as simple as adding cosmetic grade zinc oxide to an existing lotion or moisturizer.

Link: An Easier Recipe

Is it just me or does that seem too easy to be true?

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Quote: Originally Posted by

Is it just me or does that seem too easy to be true?

You'd have to use a blender/ beater for it to work and even then....doubtful. ZnO like to hang out with itself...so that is the pest of it. However...if you make from scratch, you can get around that.

Have since solved the dying blender problem with the most beautiful little creation known to DIY'ers. That SS is now smoother than silk.
Turbo charged mini blender with its own stand. May the Sun shine gently on the engineers that designed this little beauty.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

Ingredients

Bare Escentuals
SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen

Im worried about the inhalation of the zinc and titanium particles with these 2 powder ss tho. I know its not germaine to your recipe but just sayin.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
You'd have to use a blender/ beater for it to work and even then....doubtful. ZnO like to hang out with itself...so that is the pest of it. However...if you make from scratch, you can get around that.

Have since solved the dying blender problem with the most beautiful little creation known to DIY'ers. That SS is now smoother than silk.
Turbo charged mini blender with its own stand. May the Sun shine gently on the engineers that designed this little beauty.
and this "little beauty" will be available to us when and where???

·
Registered
121 Posts
I haven't tried this yet. I planned to last weekend but got caught up (what's new
) but i wanted to pass it along in percentages for anyone interested.

The total recipe as posted by Dragon is 112.5 grams. I did the math and the percentages are follows:

1. Hemp oil 27.0 grams (24%)
2. Sea Emollient 27.0 grams (24%)
3. H20 18.0 grams (16%)
4. Vit E 1.8 grams (1.6%)
5. Hyaluronic acid 1% serum 6.3 grams (5.6%)
6. Polysorbate 80 9.0 grams (8%)
7. Pomegranate extract ~ 0.9 but less is better to start.. (.8 %)
8. ZnO ~ 100nm particle 22.5 grams (20%)

Dragon,

What can I sub out for the sea emollient? I have hydrolyzed oats, tamarind extract, cetyl alcohol, stearic acid, various hydrosols, SKB, aloe gel, glycerin, HA, oh the list keeps going.

21 - 40 of 437 Posts