Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In research the best sunscreen to use with Retin A I came across this disturbing article.

Sunscreens Can Damage Skin, Researchers Find

Filters in sunscreens that keep out ultraviolet radiation can generate compounds that attack skin cells, say UCR chemists*

*University of California

http: (//)newsroom (dot)ucr(dot)edu/news_item.html?action=page&id=1399

Perhaps someone "authorized" to enter links can insert this for me. I believe it is extremely pertinent to skin care awareness.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My former Health professor told me that sunscreen may not be as good as once thought. He said that some studies have shown a link with skin cancer. He said that in places like Africa, where the people are always out under the sun w/o sun protection, they rarely get skin cancer. Even in countries where the people are not Black or dark skinned. But he said in America, we use sunscreen and have the highest incident of skin cancer. So, he said there may be a possible link btw sunscreen and skin cancer.

I also heard-not from him-that after 2 hours of applying suncscreen, it produces free radicals.

But these days, everything is dangerous so I don't get stressed when I hear stuff like this.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
The article failed to mention the STABILIZING power of Mexoryl XS, Mexoryl XL, and Helioplex that are used in the sunscreens most of us use which helps the sunscreen from breaking down and creating free radicals on the skin, also we use the Vitamin C, E Ferulic under the Mexoryls and we reverse whatever damage that that might have sneaked through all of that with Retin-A used nightly, so that article is irrelevant for us.

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Did you note the date on that article was 2006??? Sunscreen agents have advanced so much since that came out. We now have better stabilizers as LnL and Peri state: Mexoryl, Tinosorb and to a lesser degree Helioplex. No cause for alarm.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I realize the article was dated 2006, but I found an even more 'indepth' article on sunscreens which I posted in its entirety in the anti-aging forum (thread titled: All you ever wanted/needed to know about sunscreens).

EbonyBeauty you mentioned free-radicals caused by sunscreen. In the other article it says that after a few hours sunscreen protection breaks down because it sinks deeper into the dermis of the skin. That's why the label says to continually RE-apply while outside. So it seems to me, that you are propetuating the circle of causing 'more' free radicals by the reapplication?

Also, for those of us who wear sunscreen under our make-up it sounds to me like the protection is only there for a short time and then we're still at the suns mercy (at say llunchtime) when we go out?

LightNLift, NONE of the articles I've been reading mention Mexoryl XS, Mexoryl XL, and Helioplex. Can you tell me where I can read up on these chemicals? This is the first time in my life I wish I was a chemist instead of an artist!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
It is true. I read this a lot and it is bad, but you need to decide for yourself, like immunisations. That said, it is FOR ME the same with sun exposure. I DO believe some is ok and probably better than sunscreen for the skin (you can argue damage all you want but the initial pigment of melanin with NO burn or red undertones is 95% protective, more effective than sunscreen on lilly white skin).

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't think it's super important to wear sun screen every second of every day because some sun exposure is good for you and ok in moderation, but i also don't think there is any concrete evidence that sunscreen is bad for you. If there was evidence it wouldn't be sold in stores or sunscreen companies would see it as a great opportunity to get ahead of their competitors by coming out with some organic sunscreen that didn't contain damaging ingredients that they could heavily advertise and make money on. I'm not a sunscreen nut so i'm not too worried about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This part of the article came across as strange. If aging signs are due to sunlight and most of it has been caused by the time a person is 18 then shouldn't 18 year olds and younger have the oldest looking skin?
Quote: Originally Posted by

About 95 percent of the visible signs of aging are associated with UV exposure. About 90 percent of a person’s total life-time UV exposure is obtained before the person is 18 years of age. Only a few UV filters are available that block “UV-A,” the wavelengths that penetrate more deeply into the skin, all the way into the dermis where collagen exists.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
The damage is cumulative and takes a while to show up. You can get away with it when you're 18 but things start to go downhill quickly from there if you've neglected your skin. It isn't just the sun either, it's bad food choices, smoking, dehydration, and genetics.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
This part of the article came across as strange. If aging signs are due to sunlight and most of it has been caused by the time a person is 18 then shouldn't 18 year olds and younger have the oldest looking skin?
The damage is hidden by youth and won't show up for many years. Sooner for some than others.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i've also heard that most damage is done by age 18, so where is the incentive to protect your skin if you're well past 18 y/o?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
i've also heard that most damage is done by age 18, so where is the incentive to protect your skin if you're well past 18 y/o?
What kind of question is that?

Do you actually expect someone to say No there is no incentive, you can go on another 60 years without expecting any further damage.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thinking about this subject logically, (and working in the genetics department of the Medical College of VA), what my boss (Dr. Wolf) tells me is this. All humans have 'internal switches', like the switch for 'puberty.' Your body says, "it's TIME to grow hair" [where there never was any]. The same is true for cancers & such. You have a "BETTER than average" chance of a skin cancer 'switch' being thrown IF you had a lot of sun exposure as a child. That doesn't necessarily mean you will get cancer however. They don't yet know what happens to trigger the switch. That is why you should protect your skin as soon as you can. However, he did tell me that most of the chemicals in sunscreens (in addition to almost ALL cosmetics, shampoo's & conditioners, moisturizers, cleansers [including dish detergents & laundry detergents]) contain chemical carcinagins (?sp) and depending on how they are used do absorb into your body and can cause a miriad of problems. He recommended wearing gloves when doing dishes or using household cleaners, and not shampooing every day.

I have been doing extensive research and have found one company, KEYS-SOAP.com which is manufacturing sunscreen & sunblock without ANY chemicals or chemical compounds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts