Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, I am looking for recommendations for a sunscreen that doesnt break you out or clog pores, since im on Retin A and AHAs/BHAs exfoliants, my skin is rather sensitive, almost all the sunscreens that ive tried have caused a breakout, what do you guys advise?

·
Registered
395 Posts
hi koalaki x

i have the exact same problem. Try MAC spf5o face protect. There are some other oil free ranges - check out the basic skin care section - there are some good sunscreen veterans kicking about, i think fawnie is one of them..

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Neutrogena never causes skin problems for me but it isn't the best of the bunch. Nivea Light Feeling is something that I am using now that's good and has all the good stuff. Available in Europe or on Ebay.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
265 Posts
why do you feel as though neutrogena isnt the best of the bunch. They have an spf 100. I've always been happy w/ neutrogena. Is there a better alternative you all have found?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi Ladydanielle
The best ingredients are mexoryl and tinosorb which stabilize the chemical sunscreening ingredients from breaking down and forming free radicals on your skin - which cause breakdown of your skin! If the chemicals break down they are also no longer effective as screening agents. Neutrogena has an ingredient called Helioplex that they use in some of their SS reportedly to stabilize them, but it doesn't have the proven science that the other 2 ingredients do.

Here is a lot of info on SS and what to look for if you want to find the best serious protection:

Skincare Central-All About Sunscreens

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Neutrogena never causes skin problems for me but it isn't the best of the bunch. Nivea Light Feeling is something that I am using now that's good and has all the good stuff. Available in Europe or on Ebay.
Yes Fawnie, I agree Nivea is another good one that I use. Speaking of sunscreens, did you ever get yours that you were waiting for?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Yes Fawnie, I agree Nivea is another good one that I use. Speaking of sunscreens, did you ever get yours that you were waiting for?
Oh yu mean the Bioderma Photoderm 400ml spray from Frenchcosmeticsforless? No because that site emailed me that the shipment was "confiscated at customs" and they didn't know how long it would take to get another shipment....whatever...so I ordered Nivea Light Feeling and cancelled the Bioderma. Well didn't Frenchcosmetics just email me the next day saying they had my Bioderma and were shipping it right away! I told them I still didn't want it. I like the Nivea and it will last a long time, so maybe next year with French.

Did you get the Bioderma 400ml spray? Do you like it? The Nivea Light Feeling is still a little shiny (has Titanium dioxide) and moist for me - I wish it was lighter.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Oh yu mean the Bioderma Photoderm 400ml spray from Frenchcosmeticsforless? No because that site emailed me that the shipment was "confiscated at customs" and they didn't know how long it would take to get another shipment....whatever...so I ordered Nivea Light Feeling and cancelled the Bioderma. Well didn't Frenchcosmetics just email me the next day saying they had my Bioderma and were shipping it right away! I told them I still didn't want it. I like the Nivea and it will last a long time, so maybe next year with French.

Did you get the Bioderma 400ml spray? Do you like it? The Nivea Light Feeling is still a little shiny (has Titanium dioxide) and moist for me - I wish it was lighter.
Yes, I have the Bioderma spray. Took that puppy on vacation. It was a life saver. And easy to use. I actually shared it with the fam-
Normally I don't share my products, they don't appreciate the little things in life, like I do-

Yep its definately the TD that gives you the shiny look with the Nivea. I like it though. Touch up with a little powder, and your good to go.

I spend just as much on sunscreen as I do all the other products!! Guys are lucky. At least they don't have to spend on makeup and hair products like us girls do!!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Wow so you have like 4 sunscreens going now!! Use it up fast or it loses potency once opened and exposed to heat I heard! With 3 guys it shouldn't be tough!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Oh in the heat over here we go thru them, that is for sure. I must say though I have hid my spray bottle. I love the stuff, and I need it more than the rest of these yahoo's over here-

When I order the tube Bioderma I order 2 at a time. I have the Avene too. Have you ever tried that fawnie? It is another nice one if you haven't tried it.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Oh in the heat over here we go thru them, that is for sure. I must say though I have hid my spray bottle. I love the stuff, and I need it more than the rest of these yahoo's over here-

When I order the tube Bioderma I order 2 at a time. I have the Avene too. Have you ever tried that fawnie? It is another nice one if you haven't tried it.
Gym
Yeh I have both of the ones you posted. The Bioderma Photomax Cream is way too moist for summer humidity. Saving it for winter. Avene emulsion is *ok* but not HG status at all. I hate Titanium dioxide - it makes me look dry and shiny at the same time. But it has good protection against InfraRed rays, so I use it anyway and suck it up. I was looking at that Bioderma 400ml spray for the longest time then decided on Nivea at the last minute. Oh well, next year....

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Gym
Yeh I have both of the ones you posted. The Bioderma Photomax Cream is way too moist for summer humidity. Saving it for winter. Avene emulsion is *ok* but not HG status at all. I hate Titanium dioxide - it makes me look dry and shiny at the same time. But it has good protection against InfraRed rays, so I use it anyway and suck it up. I was looking at that Bioderma 400ml spray for the longest time then decided on Nivea at the last minute. Oh well, next year....
Yep always next year. Sun isn't going anywhere that is for sure!! Finding a good sunscreen is just as hard as finding a good foundation-

·
Registered
265 Posts
learned so much from this thread. I thought my neutrogena was good with the new helioplex. So you guys recommend getting one of these european brands?

so is the nivea just as good as the european brands?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ive also started using nivea light feeling, spf50. its actually really good, does leave a pearly sheen which is quite visible on my darker skin but it seems to working well so far. i cant describe the smell thou - is it...i dunno.. coconutty lemon?

Anyway not bothered about it, im just happy ive got a product that absorbs quickly and gives you quick protection, so i dont have to hang around and wait for it to absorb/apply it 15 mins before i go out etc..

My morning routine is packed enough as it is!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
THIS one is completely clear and has no titanium dioxide or zinc oxide to give that whitish pearly sheen. It has tinosorb to stabilize the chemical screening agents so it will (1) last and (2) not cause free radicals. Peri, the SS guru, likes it.

I ordered it from the website, but they cancelled my order and said the shipment had been seized by US Customs. Maybe yu will have better luck! I couldn't wait for another shipment to get hijacked so I ordered Nivea LIght Feeling SPF50 from UK.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
395 Posts
I will definitely give this a try - looks very good and no greasy finish...do you know if you can use it on the face? Most sprays I have looked at state that it shouldn't be used on the face, and only the body.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Ninasky
Peri says he uses it all over. He puts a different cap on it instead of the spray so that he can squirt it out into his hands and apply it that way - less wasteful than spraying it around everywhere. He lives in HOTlanta and swears it isn't greasy.

I hate that pearly white sheen too and am constantly looking for something like this....let me know if you get it so I can eat my heart out!!

Skin | care | talk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts