Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's always recommended we wear sunscreen but most make-ups & daytime moisturizers only come with 15 spf. Not only does that not provide allot of coverage but it'll wear off over a couple o f hrs., especially during the summer months. Is there such a thing of a sunscreen that is not sticky that one can wear make-up over or even better a sunscreen you can apply over make-up so that you can re-apply? If would make sense if they made a light mist to spray on over make-up. Curious...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Two sunscreens that were recommended (I asked a similar question) were Academie moisturizing lightening fluid SPF12 and Devita 30. I don't like products that are greasy or feel heavy on my skin therefore I went for many, many years without using any sunscreen which resulted in areas of my face being sun-damaged.

Find a sunscreen that you like, put it on at least 10 minutes before you put your moisturizer on; if your skin feels "sticky or greasy" try using skin blotters to absorb the excess oil. I don't know of any sunscreen you can put over your make-up. However I would try for a sunscreen of at least SPF30. Layering sunscreen with a moisturizer containing sunscreen is not culmative -- sunscreen 30 + moisturizer 15 -- does not give you SPF 45. I have seen sunscreens with SPF as high as 80.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Two sunscreens that were recommended (I asked a similar question) were Academie moisturizing lightening fluid SPF12 and Devita 30. I don't like products that are greasy or feel heavy on my skin therefore I went for many, many years without using any sunscreen which resulted in areas of my face being sun-damaged.

Find a sunscreen that you like, put it on at least 10 minutes before you put your moisturizer on; if your skin feels "sticky or greasy" try using skin blotters to absorb the excess oil. I don't know of any sunscreen you can put over your make-up. However I would try for a sunscreen of at least SPF30. Layering sunscreen with a moisturizer containing sunscreen is not culmative -- sunscreen 30 + moisturizer 15 -- does not give you SPF 45. I have seen sunscreens with SPF as high as 80.
I agree with Mari - Devita's sunscreen is a good all mineral base for makeup that isn't greasy. It's aloe and shea based so is actually good for your skin. Available at www.purebodysolutions.com for $24 for a 2 oz jar.

I like Avene Emulsion SPF 50+ in the summer for its higher SPF and excellent proven UVA/UVB protection. The orange tube Euro version has Tinosorb, a stabilizing ingredient for the chemical ingredients. It's actually a chemical/physical sunscreen hybrid (it contains both). Elegant under makeup too - gives a nice finish and not greasy or irritating.

Peter Thomas Roth makes a powder sunscreen that you can apply over your makeup throughout the day. It comes in a tube with a brush at one end. I believe it is SPF 30. It leaves a shiny, cakey finish in my opinion though and I didn't like it.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Clarins UV Plus!! I use it evey single day. It's SPF 40 (I think) and it has a very fluid, light consistency. I generally apply it right before my makeup, but sometimes when I forget I put it over makeup and it still works fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use the Neutrogena sheer dry sunblock in SPF 70 (8.99 at Target) and mix it with my foundation. It turns it into a tinted moisturizer. I still get the coverage and the high SPF means I don't have to sacrifice on sun protection.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
It IS nice, but the PPD is only like 8, so you would still tan and get UVA damage with it. I used to swear by it too until I found that out.

Sunscreens for sun sensitive people: Understanding UVA, UVB, visible light, and how sunscreens are rated with SPF and PPD.

[quote from above source]Table 1: PPDs of sunscreens

Sunscreen Ingredients\tMaximum PPD that can be achieved
(PPD measures UVA, larger number is better protection)
Titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide \t8 or 9 (estimated)
U.S. sunscreens\t8 or 9 (estimated)*
Canadian sunscreens\t15
European sunscreens\t20 to 40
based on http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/nora80/ and other sources
* Unfortunately, PPD is not used in the U.S..

·
Administrator
33,937 Posts
I say- use what works best of you!! We are all different and what works for you may not work for me. You may dislike chemicals, I find they work wonders.

Its what makes the world go round!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts