Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I love the Vichy spf 60, It's a pretty big enough tube. It has a great little sheen to it but doesn't make you look pale, or oily. I use this one as it's the only one I've found that doesn't make my skin break out. Why not go around the nearest beauty counter and ask for samples, then you can try a couple without paying for stuff you may not like. Then base you decision on the ones you do like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why not look for a daily facial moisturiser with a SPF in it already? It is lighter and doesn't sit heavy on your face or clog pores. You don't need to go fro brand names, the store's on make is always cheaper and just as good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like Neutrogena's Age Shield FACE sunblock in 55 SPF, it provides superior anti-aging protection and contains helioplex. It contains advanced sunscreen technology that shields skin 6 layers deep from skin aging UVA rays. It's also oil free with a non-greasy feel. I really love it. Don't forget to apply whatever sunscreen you choose onto your neck, chest and backs of hands. No matter if the sun is shining or not!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've heard many people say this product or that product makes me break-out. One thing I have learned from trying to find a 'safe' but effective sunscreen is that most sunscreens & moisturizers made today contain Dimethicone. It's a form of silicone (and can appear with may different dirivatives of the name in labeling). Being a silicone it sits on top of the skin covering the poors. Which leads to sweating underneath, which brings up natural oils which then are trapped by the silicone covering where they stay. Hence unhappy (irritated) skin ~ the skin needs to breath.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have found a pretty good website that gives some good information about sunscreens. (I usually take the information I find and double check it on wikipedia & do other research.) It's called Environmental Working Group, or EWG. They are kind of like a Consumer Report, but specialize in personal care products. Their website adddress is: cosmeticsdatabase.com, but it has a category for sunscreens as well.

Here is an excerpt from their site on Sunscreen.

SUNSCREENS: HOW IT WORKS, WHAT IT MEANS
Which sunscreens are best and why?
The ideal sunscreen would be highly effective at blocking both UVA and UVB rays, contain active ingredients that do not break down in the sun (so that the product remains effective), and contain active and inactive ingredients that are proven to be safe for both adults and children. Unfortunately, there is no sunscreen that meets all of these criteria, and no simple way for consumers to know how well a given product stacks up on any of these fronts — which is why EWG created this guide to safer and more effective sunscreens. To see how we conducted our analysis and ranked products,read our methodology.
When picking a sunscreen look for zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, avoid oxybenzone and sunscreens with fragrance. Choose a product with an SPF of 30 or higher, avoid sprays and powders and bug repellant.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mexoryl SX is developed and patented by L'OrÃa9al as one of the most effective UVA-blocking ingredient currently available.

You may be interested to try-

Sunscreen with Mexoryl products include broad spectrum UVA/UVB Anthelios Sunscreen by La Roche Posay.

For more information-welcome to visit source- sunscreen ingredients

Hope you find this helpful...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Try body guard by derma doctor. It is priced right and feels great on face and body. I live in Az and use it every day! It feels great under foundation, and body lotion it is popular here amongst my girl friends. I buy it at a place called allure, I don't know if they have one in your state but maybe Sephora? Anyway, you cannot go wrong. It is an spf 30!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Australia and sunscreen is a daily essential. I also lived in extreme heat in the tropics there and my skin was like an OILY dripping tap hence sunscreen and my skin didn't mix well. Tried every brand and finally, finally found Cetaphil 30+. WOW! This sunscreen was so miraculous it actually seemed to ABSORB oil. Bizarre - some technology in the cream... Like my natural products and had tried all sorts such as Invisible Zinc but there has been no such cream that has actually FELT invisible as Cetaphil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey
have quoted below but say again - likewise - extremely blocked pores / oily skin... Tried about 30 brands say, and only 1 is non-greasy even though all others claim to be. CETAPHIL. It's feels so light I have even applied it at night as a moisturiser when I ran out of other.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Lauren, based on all the posts so far, it looks like you're looking for a chemical sunscreen. If so, check out this review from makeupalley.com. I don't know the cost of these, but you could google them.

http://makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreenPPDs/

If you're not specifically looking for a chemical sunscreen, and are open to a zinc oxide one then here are the two that are protective enough and the cheapest:

* Burn Out Eco Sensitive - $13 for 3.4 oz. Available at mothernature.com
* Coppertone Water Babies Pure & Simple - $9 for 8 oz. available at all drug stores in the US.

The first one is my favorite and I use it on my face. The second one can be used on the neck and face where the "feel" isn't as important and you can use the cheaper one.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Why not look for a daily facial moisturiser with a SPF in it already? It is lighter and doesn't sit heavy on your face or clog pores. You don't need to go fro brand names, the store's on make is always cheaper and just as good.
Almost all of these are completely inadequate because they don't have enough of or the right kind of UVA protection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts