Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this been posted? This is a pill that can help whiten the skin, also. There are so many articles if you google 'superoxide dismutase'. I have begun to start lightening, seriously, again. So, I'm going to do my inside out method, again.

Just whatever cream is working for YOUR skin and the pills should get you where you want to be in no time. Patience, sunblock (broken record), and STAYING OUT OF THE MIRROR (lol) is key and easier said/typed than done.

I'm, also, taking N-A-C 600mg (better than glutathione and I take 2-3 per day) by Jarrow, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, and Vitamin C.

Remember, if you can find any pills you may find for your bleaching needs in ENTERIC COATED, that's always best for bypassing the stomach acid/s. Mine are regular. I think enteric coated are a bit more in price. Hey, these do the job for me but, that's a tip for those who don't know.

GoddessOfEarth

·
Registered
78 Posts
just finished reading an article about this but cant post it on the forum. Its actually the only effective oral way to go if you want to increase gluthathione levels in your body.

Also explains tests with gluthathione injections at a neurology university in italy where patients came out several shades lighter.

The article source is very respectable as well. I will post it up when i've done 15 posts or more.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Actually, I've been reading about this one too & it sounds interesting. From the many articles out there, I've managed to get my eyes on some that represent actual scientfiic studies (not advertisers 'quoting' scientific references & putting them into misleading terms). The research on superoxide dismutase is still in its nascent stages. There are a few claiming that it 'may play a role in' & 'could potentially' lighten skin a little, but the jury is still out. As an antioxidant, though, it seems impressive. I will do a google scholar search on this to see if there have been any double blind type studies done on this enzyme specifically to gauge the skin lightening effect.

Could you please be more specific about your experience? What brand are you using? What strength & amt do you take? How long did you use it before seeing measurable (as in having to change makeup shades) results? What happens when you discontinue or reduce intake?

I know this is a lot of questions but many people here besides me are probably wondering the same things. I think that in the near future, topical AND internal methods will be the way to go for successful, safe & permanent lightening.

·
Registered
32 Posts
could you guys please most any links to studies you have found on this subject w..cant seem to locate any on a google search..thanks.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Go to Google Scholar & type superoxide dismutase and skin whitening into the search bar. You'll get a heap of research indicating it as a potential skin lightener, however, nothing confirming that taking it in supplement form is effective & safe. I think it is still too early to tell for certain. some of the very best studies on skin lighteners is coming out of Asia. Perhaps social/cultural taboos in the west precudes much financing for research of this nature except in treating severe vitiligo. Cosmetic whitening has a long history in Asia linked more to esthetics & class ; not the African slave trade & racial politics. Asian experts are aggressivlely researching new & preexisting alternatives as there is an enormous potential market for a safe effective whitener that not only lightens a little but truly depigments. Just as safe tanning options are huge in the west, the reverse is true in the east.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's Some:

Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) is an enzyme that repairs cells and reduces the damage done to them by superoxide, the most common free radical in the body. SOD is found in both the dermis and the epidermis, and is key to the production of healthy fibroblasts (skin-building cells).

Studies have shown that SOD acts as both an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory in the body, neutralizing the free radicals that can lead to wrinkles and precancerous cell changes. Researchers are currently studying the potential of superoxide dismutase as an anti-aging treatment, since it is now known that SOD levels drop while free radical levels increase as we age.

Superoxide Dismutase helps the body use zinc, copper, and manganese. There are two types of SOD: copper/zinc (Cu/Zn) SOD and manganese (Mn) SOD. Each type of SOD plays a different role in keeping cells healthy. Cu/Zn SOD protects the cells’ cytoplasm, and Mn SOD protects their mitochondria from free radical damage.

Abnormalities in the copper- and zinc-dependent superoxide dismutase gene may contribute to the development of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), or Lou Gehrig’s disease, in some people. ALS is a fatal disease that causes deterioration of motor nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. It has been theorized that low levels of superoxide dismutase in those with ALS leaves nerve cells unprotected from the free radicals that can kill them, so researchers have been studying the effect of vitamin E and other antioxidant supplements on the progression of this disease. It was hoped that regular doses of antioxidants could make up for the lack of SOD and help neutralize free radicals. Initial studies were promising, and indicated that vitamin E supplementation could potentially slow the progression of ALS, with some researchers claiming that the risk of death from ALS was as much as 62 percent lower in regular vitamin E users compared to nonusers.

Superoxide Dismutase has also been used to treat arthritis, prostate problems, corneal ulcers, burn injuries, inflammatory diseases, inflammatory bowel disease, and long-term damage from exposure to smoke and radiation, and to prevent side effects of cancer drugs. In its topical form, it may help to reduce facial wrinkles, scar tissue, heal wounds and burns, lighten dark or hyperpigmentation, and protect against harmful UV rays.

SOD is found in barley grass, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, wheatgrass, and most green plants. The body needs plenty of vitamin C and copper to make this natural antioxidant, so be sure to get enough of these substances in your diet as well. SOD is also available by injection, sublingual oral supplements, enteric-coated pills, and topical creams. However, keep in mind that this substance must be absorbed in the small intestines, so it is important to choose oral supplements that are either enteric coated or sublingual in order to bypass the stomach acid that destroys SOD before it can be absorbed by the body.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Thanks for posting all that info, GoddessofEarth. Which supplement do you take & how much lightening have you achieved (& in how long?).

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I take Source Naturals:GliSODin POWER 250mg. It says take 1 tablet up tp 4 times per day. I take 2 before I go to sleep. I kinda do my own thing with them. I'd recommend following the directions.

I'm coming along, but with the Ambi and Nadinola, I can't say what's done what. I think I'm, roughly, 3 weeks into my re-lightening(because I lightened before a few years ago.). I'd say 1 1/2 shade on my front side and 1 shade on my backside. The back of me takes longer.

When I lightened before I was taking these: Glutathione, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, and Vitamin C.

This time I added: S.O.D. + N-A-C 600mg (better than glutathione and I take 2-3 per day) by Jarrow and took out the Glutathione. Well, the guy at The Vitamin Shoppe told me NAC's better. He seemed knowledgeable. I like to test some sales people without giving them too much and hear what they say.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
That's really interesting! Please keep updating on your progress & any adverse effects (hopefully none!) you experience. I've never communicated with anyone who has lightened going the pill route before so I am ultra curious.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts