Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum, I have been considering a ont stitch or complete mid face lift, are there any products out there that can really make a difference with sagging skin and nasal labial folds. Also I am try ing to sort through the maze of products for quality skin care, has ayone got comments on Cindy Crawfords beauty line

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
To quote from a book I'm reading by a dermatologist she says "... sagging around the jawline is a surgical problem. While deep nasolabial folds or marionette lines at the corner of the mouth can be greatly improved byinjecting fillers, the jawline cannot..." A sagging jawline happens because of a combination of thinning skin, loss of subcutaneous fat, loss of muscle bulk and the loss of bone in the cheeks and jaw..." I used a product by Alloette called "line freeze" which gave very good temporary results -- but it is temporary. If you are considering a face lift of any kind investigate if the practioner is a licensed surgeon. There are all sorts of clinics out there and some don't have a qualified surgeon on staff.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Before you do anything drastic.....have you tried facial exercises?? Building up the cheek muscles will lift the jowl folds and smooth out the nasolabial (marionette) lines. I have been doing it since Aug and really am seeing great results. It targets eyes, cheeks, lips, neck, forehead. It works the whole face and only takes around 30 min/day. Facial massage will rev up the circulation too.

Google " Ageless If You Dare" for the websites.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm new here, but skin care and anti aging are my best friends.
Sagging skin cause by many reasons. One of them is lack of Elastin fibers in your skin tissue. I know how you feel, I felt the same...
please, before you consider a face lift surgery, take a moment to explore the non surgical facelift alternative treatments.
Ask me if you need any help.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I am a dissenting opinion in that I am all for surgical intervention. I luckily do not have saggy skin on my face, my face is actually more or less wrinkle free but that is down to good skincare and sunblock which I have used on my face for years (only wish I was smart enough to have treated the rest of my body with the same respect). I myself am and have been considering Laser Resurfacing on my face in the Autumn more for some scars under my jaw and fine lines that have appeared around my eyes (yes I am that vain). I also want to do it because I am considering a TCA on my throat and decolletage which are a bit weather beaten.

That all said if you have sagging you will not get quick results from anything but surgery and even if you do get results they will not be as dramatic as surgery. I have a theory that you tend to take better care of yourself when you lose your looks and then get them back via surgery. I have yet to find out but I assume there is a major appreciation factor. I know that I have been dreaming of a magical procedure that would restore my body skin to how it looked when I was a child (body resurfacing which as of yet is not very realistic due to the area) and I know if I could go back I would be like Madonna avoiding sunlight like a vampire. So my opinion is that if you have the money and down time go for a face lift. Today's face-lifts are no longer the wind tunnel look but rather readjust the underlying musculature and facial structures to closer resemble the youthful look lost. It also does not preclude you from redoing it in the future. I also would look into a thread lift if I were you. It is less invasive and can give the same result. Not to be graphic but the way it is done is by burring tunnels on either side of your neck behind the ears and snaking a "hooked" string down these. These hooks catch the underlying tissue, including muscles, and pull them up and reset them higher just as with a facelift. Over the next few months the strings dissolve and the tissue is tightened and adheres to the new position. There is no excess skin (which I do not get this part) and it is as effective as a facelift for early wrinkling such as sagging and nasolabials.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to this forum, I have been considering a ont stitch or complete mid face lift, are there any products out there that can really make a difference with sagging skin and nasal labial folds. Also I am try ing to sort through the maze of products for quality skin care, has ayone got comments on Cindy Crawfords beauty line
Hi Sunwater,

I am a newbie here too, but I would definitely steer you away from any type of surgery which will only need repeating in 5 years. You don't say how old you are, but I can attest to the fact that facial exercises can and will help you regardless of your age. The nasal labial smoother exercise can reduce or eliminate that problem area of your face. In fact, it is one of the exercises that shows almost immediate improvement. I have been using Carole Maggio's Facercise program for over 10 years now, and it has literally kept my face looking ten years younger. I am 53 and have an 11-year old son. All of his classmates have guessed my age to be 10-12 years younger than my real age, and they think my son is lying when he tells them the truth! Carole is a fabulous person and even offers personal one-on-one training over the internet via SKYPE. Her program is easy to use and more importantly -- it works! I can't say enough good things about her, her facial exercise program or her skincare line & products. She sells a product called the facial beauty mitt (for "dry brushing") which works to exfoliate the skin of the face and in the process it firms and lifts the skin. She also sells one for the body, which works great! In combination with a healthy lifestyle, good eating habits, daily Facercise, and using her skincare line, you too can stave off the knife or worse yet - Botox!! You can find her on line and email her via her site. (Since I'm new, I can't post her URL here.) I believe other programs may also work, but I believe in her program because when I was in a deep depression over my aging face, I found her program and found hope! Once I began facercising, I never looked back or tried to find anything else. Carole is the real deal too .... she 63 years old and looks late 40's...early 50's at the most. As for Cindy Crawford's line -- I haven't tried it, but I gather its just another super models line that falls short of the mark. Carole Maggio is a professional aesthetician and formulates her products with the purest and most technologically advanced ingredients available. Best wishes, Aprile

·
Administrator
33,768 Posts
Go for the surgery!! Lol, when my time comes I would do it. Who knows hopefully by then it won't be so bad. Hopefully, less down time.

And for the person who posted they are 53 and have an 11 year old........bless you!!! That is great!! I am 40 and have a 21 year old and 17 year old. I can't imagine having a 11 year old. So my hat is off to you!!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Gymrat you stand with me on this one! I am very pro-surgery! At my rate I will be a 53 year old mother of an 11 year old too someday and I can tell you now I have every intention of looking as young as I can and being as fit as I can be! My hats off to the 53year old mother too--way to go!

·
Administrator
33,768 Posts
I have always said at 60 I would have a face lift. I look at my mother now, at 61 or 62, and think I better get one at 55, LOL. My mother only uses Oil of Olay, and doesn't really take the time to care for her skin like I do. So, maybe I will still be ok at 60-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go for the surgery!! Lol, when my time comes I would do it. Who knows hopefully by then it won't be so bad. Hopefully, less down time.

And for the person who posted they are 53 and have an 11 year old........bless you!!! That is great!! I am 40 and have a 21 year old and 17 year old. I can't imagine having a 11 year old. So my hat is off to you!!
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Yes, I met my husband at 36 and believe it or not, he had to have a vasectomy reversal in order for us to have our son. You are a very young mom, having had your first child at just 19. These days, more & more women ARE waiting longer, or else it's just circumstances beyond their control (as in my case). Anyway, I keep myself young looking by exercise, eating right, using Carole's great skincare line, and facial exercises. I have a thin face, with not much underlying fat. The transformation I made in my own face was amazing and was accomplished in a relatively short period of time. While I understand that some people don't want to wait to see results, Facercise is something you can use your entire life without spending big bucks. I used the book to learn the exercises on my own, but eventually had a one-on-one with Carole Maggio in New York to perfect my routine. It was money well spent! In my opinion, unless you are an actress or singer with a career on the line, why go through the pain and suffering, not to mention the risk involved with surgery?
The money spent for a full face lift or even a partial that needs to be repeated in 5 years time just doesn't make sense to me. Your face will continue to sag and age even though you've spent thousands. If you are even contemplating surgery down the line, check out her program to prevent the need for intervention. Everyone owes it to themselves to look the very best they can! It just makes all of us feel better to look as good as we feel!
Aprile

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Can i just point out that yes surgery can be great, personally i dont belevie in changing ones looks, i just want to grow old the best way i can and be happy!

Their are also many side effects to having a surgery as i myself have been a witness too!!

Yes if you really want it then by all means this is nothing to do with me but however i do urge you to check things out properly, there are some doctors out there that will just take your money and run and also just cause something works for someone it does not mean it will necessary work for you!

Anyway i could go on about surgerys etc forever but il leave it at that, just dont rush into anything people, if things do go wrong then they cant be reversed!

This is nothing to do with facial surgery but however i just want the warning out there i nearly lost the use of my legs due to one of the top doctors in the Uk wanting to operate mainly due to the several thousand of pounds he would of got from this operation several years back without looking into the problems i was having with my joints etc about 10 years ago! Even the best of doctors make mistakes!

Best of luck with it thou

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Gymrat my mother had her eyes done she just turned 60 and they look awful and she had a very good surgeon and has a lot of money so that is one surgery I would be very careful about. That said any surgeon worth the title can do a decent face-lift these days. It does not change looks really ILUVNY more like restoring looks. I am 37 and this autumn am considering the first step which is a laser skin rejuvenation which is more for some scarring as I have very little wrinkles on my face (just super fine ones under my eyes). Then in aboout 15 years I will consider a face-lift or thread lift depending on what else is available then and what my face looks like at that point.

I have learned from my mother that I will be a sagger as I take after her and I believed she would be a sinker because we are short, thin and muscular but she turned into a sagger with pouches of fat accumulating in her jaw area (I do not know why she does not see this or do anything about it and I dare not say anything!). So I do think by my mid 50's I will need a lift.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Surgery can't be undone. It can be done over, but you will never get the same effect. I would go for surgery if I needed it, but first I would try exercise/massage to see how much work actually needed to be done. You may find that you don't need as extensive a procedure once the muscles and skin are firmed up!

If it's excess skin you are fighting, like folds of skin over the eyes, or a really droopy neck, then you might need surgery after all, but give exercise/massage a try.

Here is a very long link but it has some helpful exercises in it that you can try on your own:
http://www.skincaretalk.com/anti-agi...ng-volume.html

Also here is my favorite chin exercise:
Lea Eigard - Chin Up Facial Exercises

Does it work? [email protected]*!! to the yes! You will FEEL it working! And the mirror will show you that it is.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
394 Posts
I see surgeries performed everyday and I'm the first to say there is nothing such as "it's just a facelift", things can and do go wrong. My take is that try alternative methods 1st and give it time to take it's toll, however if that dosen't work and you can afford it, then why not. Before you go for the face lift though, do a thorough research, consultations and go choose the best available option out there. Good luck

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I see surgeries performed everyday and I'm the first to say there is nothing such as "it's just a facelift", things can and do go wrong. My take is that try alternative methods 1st and give it time to take it's toll, however if that dosen't work and you can afford it, then why not. Before you go for the face lift though, do a thorough research, consultations and go choose the best available option out there. Good luck
Preach it, Sister.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,768 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Yes, I met my husband at 36 and believe it or not, he had to have a vasectomy reversal in order for us to have our son. You are a very young mom, having had your first child at just 19. These days, more & more women ARE waiting longer, or else it's just circumstances beyond their control (as in my case). Anyway, I keep myself young looking by exercise, eating right, using Carole's great skincare line, and facial exercises. I have a thin face, with not much underlying fat. The transformation I made in my own face was amazing and was accomplished in a relatively short period of time. While I understand that some people don't want to wait to see results, Facercise is something you can use your entire life without spending big bucks. I used the book to learn the exercises on my own, but eventually had a one-on-one with Carole Maggio in New York to perfect my routine. It was money well spent! In my opinion, unless you are an actress or singer with a career on the line, why go through the pain and suffering, not to mention the risk involved with surgery?
The money spent for a full face lift or even a partial that needs to be repeated in 5 years time just doesn't make sense to me. Your face will continue to sag and age even though you've spent thousands. If you are even contemplating surgery down the line, check out her program to prevent the need for intervention. Everyone owes it to themselves to look the very best they can! It just makes all of us feel better to look as good as we feel!
Aprile
Great post!

Yes, although we had our boys young, we are still fairly young ourselves, with one in college and one going to be a senior in high school. My husband is 4 years older than I, and we have been married for almost 22 years- We grew up together and are now growing old together. I would not have had it any other way!!

I think that is pretty special to have a 11 year old son at 53-but even better to have a husband who was willing to reverse the vasectomy to make it happen-

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Im just wondering what does facial sagging actually come from, my mother has none and no one really does in my family so i hope i wont either?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Im just wondering what does facial sagging actually come from, my mother has none and no one really does in my family so i hope i wont either?
IluvNY--aging is generally considered to take two forms in the face--sinking or sagging. Sagging is when everything heads south or some parts. It can be partial, such as just getting jowls or so or like my mother you can have the fat remain but come down to the lower face making for a very aged look as that is the fat that formerly was under the cheeks and formed the contours of a more youthful face. The other type of aging is sinking and is marked by a loss of the underlying fat so it essentially is gone and does not sag but rather the face becomes thin and only the bones and skin really remain. Either way with age one of the two catch up to MOST people if they live long enough.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Sinking and sagging. Wow isn't that something to look forward to. And what can you do about it?
This:
FlexEffect Facial Exercise and Massage! Or any facial exercise/massage program. It fights the sink and the sag.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Thanks fawnie and lexi for the info, as far as my mother is concerned for a women in her 50s i think she has a really good face shape!

You know what though id rather just take care of myself best way if my face does sink or sag you know what il deal with it when it comes to it!

As long as im healthy and happy those are the most important things in life for me personally!

Fawnie i do some facial excersies but however cause im not old enough i dont feel to see any really bad changes in my face it does worry about over streching the face, and generally over doing facial excerises!

Have you got any tips on what the best way is to deal with this?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts