Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this article where the lead guy form the IARC says the reults were limited and nothing like the media said........

Even Vincent Cogliano, head of the IARC Monographs program at the International Agency for Research on Cancer-- where the World Health Organization-sanction group's debate originated -- admits the results on which many of the conclusions are based are "limited."

"Most (of the 2009 position) is based on the 2006 working group report and we do not have the gold standard, double-blind type of research to work with," he said.

When asked why tanning beds were made such a focus of this WHO/IARC position, Cogliano said: "It was our 100th year and we wanted to pick something that looked at the past and into the future. UV radiation and the sun is (from the) past, tanning beds (are linked to) the future."

But the studies included only fair-skinned people, who have been long proven to be more susceptible to melanoma.

Cogliano said the use of fair-haired study subjects was natural since they are the ones who get the disease most often.

Data from 19 of the studies was then used to determine that the relative risk associated with use of indoor tanning facilities could be projected to be 14% higher compared to those who never use indoor tanning facilities, in the test subjects reviewed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nothing like a group of people getting together in a room and having a study session over old inaccurate literature.

Fools!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have always maintained "everything in moderation" and that this stupid story was stating the obvious about the same people who are susceptible to begin with in natural or artifical UV.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read an article not too long ago that said people who work indoors (i.e. less time in the sun) are more likely to have melanoma than people who work outside (are in the sun a lot). I will try to find the article and post it.

So many things are coming out on both sides of the token that you have to take it all with a grain of salt.

Moderation is the key to EVERYTHING! I can't think of one thing that can be done in excess and is good for you! Even the man upstairs warns against glutony!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts