Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just happened to be watching CNN when they announced the following:Tanning bed users have the highest cancer risk (75% increase with use). They put these beds at the same risk level as SMOKING
. Many people mistakenly think that this is a safer option than frying themselves in the sun. Apparently not. Just thought I'd post this for those of you who use one of these contraptions or know someone who does.

http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/10138

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh man.... well I think we all saw that coming eventually. The WHO is taking away indoor tanning, the USFDA is taking away hotdogs.... what is this world coming too? ;p

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...wait a sec...HOTDOGS! ALL of them or just those 'mechanically deboned road-kill ones? I buy the butterball turkey ones (...yes...sodium....nitrates...
I know this). Now & then, they're like LOVE in a bun
. They even look at my popcorn & heads will roll!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Oh man... I did tanning beds some in my 20's and 30's on my body (meaning not on my face), using a sun block on my face, sometimes letting it get *some* rays. I didn't tan in my teens or early 20's except for a few times and that was only 2 or 3 times. I did the 12.5% TCA on my forearms last night cos the skin is thick and freckled from sun. MAN it burned! No more sun booths/beds for me. White it is, or fake tan. Mystic tans are AWESOME!!!! When we lived in the UK we rented a tanning bed because I had a lot of depression (I battle it anyway) from lack of sun. NOT when we move back in January!!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I tanned alot in my first year of college. I fear what the long term effects on my skin are going to be. I never let myself in the sun without sunscreen anymore.

·
Registered
41 Posts
...wait a sec...HOTDOGS! ALL of them or just those 'mechanically deboned road-kill ones? I buy the butterball turkey ones (...yes...sodium....nitrates...
I know this). Now & then, they're like LOVE in a bun
. They even look at my popcorn & heads will roll!
I knoooow right?!!

From what I remember reading, they're basically saying most hotdogs will have to stop being made [I think your veggie dogs will be in the clear periwinkle
] and the ones that continue production will have to include warning labels until the FDA's manufacturing standards can be met.

I saw a lady in the grocery store just yesterday that was obviously overdoing it at the tanning beds and I wanted to tell her so bad. haha How awkward would that have been?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My sister-in-law has used the tanning beds for years. She had cancer in both of her breasts and had surgery, but is having reconstructive surgery. So sad!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I use to tan and it scares me to think of the effects it will have on me later in life. Age spots, wrinkles, cancer. I'm hoping to combat it by overdoing it now with anti-oxidants, SPF and eating healthy!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I use to tan and it scares me to think of the effects it will have on me later in life. Age spots, wrinkles, cancer. I'm hoping to combat it by overdoing it now with anti-oxidants, SPF and eating healthy!
Jump on the retin-a bandwagon to help reverse the damage in a big way.
Your at a great age to start.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Jump on the retin-a bandwagon to help reverse the damage in a big way.
Your at a great age to start.
Great suggestion! I've been thinking about Differin since I have more oily, acne prone skin. Any opinions on it? It is a retinol - does it also 'reverse' sun damage?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Great suggestion! I've been thinking about Differin since I have more oily, acne prone skin. Any opinions on it? It is a retinol - does it also 'reverse' sun damage?
I'm not up to full speed on Diferin but from what I've read, it's not available in generic form. It's pretty expensive. Similar in strength to Retin-A 0.025%
I'd just get retin-a (tretinoin) from alldaychemist.
Yes Diferin would help reverse damage.

·
Registered
316 Posts
They do also have Differin on all day chemist. I will probably get that...once the careprost comes in I will have a big order for them!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just happened to be watching CNN when they announced the following:Tanning bed users have the highest cancer risk (75% increase with use). They put these beds at the same risk level as SMOKING
. Many people mistakenly think that this is a safer option than frying themselves in the sun. Apparently not. Just thought I'd post this for those of you who use one of these contraptions or know someone who does.

Do you think lobbying groups can help tighten regulations on sunbeds?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I knoooow right?!!

From what I remember reading, they're basically saying most hotdogs will have to stop being made [I think your veggie dogs will be in the clear periwinkle
] and the ones that continue production will have to include warning labels until the FDA's manufacturing standards can be met.

I saw a lady in the grocery store just yesterday that was obviously overdoing it at the tanning beds and I wanted to tell her so bad. haha How awkward would that have been?
wait wait wait... what's so harmful about hot dogs!!? I'll be so sad if they stop making hot dogs! What will I eat when I go to see baseball games?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts