Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to be the trend these days to have a nice tan look. I know that if I don't have some color I look sick. But how healthy is tanning? You hear more and more about skin cancer and all sorts of related problems caused from over exposure to sun or UV rays. What is your take on tanning?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
It looks like you know the answer to this question.

And if you don't, it's very simple. Tanning have never been and never will be good for you. There is absoultely no benefit from it. If you want to be dark, fake it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK so you feel that it's bad. Some doctors recomend tanning to people with psoriasis. Also people with MS have had problems because they do not get enough vitamin D. Getting sun exposure is a good way to get vitamin D. I feel that if you tan in moderation and/or lay out to tan you should use a good sunscreen so you do not burn. I think that when the skin is burned repeatedly and over exposed is when the problems arise.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Sun exposure and tanning are two different things. I get sun exposure, but I don't tan. You just need a few minutes of sunlight to get all the vitamin D that you need. Tanning is way more than that.

I don't "feel" that its bad. I KNOW that it's bad, and the skin doesn't need to burn and flake for you to get the negative effects of sun exposure. Look at Lindsay Lohan's skin to see how bad the sun is for you with "moderate" sun exposure and tell me if you think that looks good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So how healthy is the spray tanning? It seems unhealthy to have a chemical sprayed on you. What do you know/say about that? Healthy or not?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have no idea. Probably healthier than tanning in the sun. It's not like you're spraying rat poison on yourself.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Some derms recommend tanning beds to dry out severe cases of acne and eczema when patients can not go out into the sun. This does not mean it is "good" for you. But it can serve a specific purpose. The cons definitely outway the pros on this one.
Light therapy has become exceedingly popular. Light therapy can help treat seasonal depression without harmful UV rays. I just started using the Baby Quasar red and blue light wands to help shrink my pores, improve my skin tone and texture, and treat acne.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'd prefer spray tanning over sun tanning, or tanning beds that does too much damage to your skin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts