Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think tanning beds are bad for you? I have pretty fair skin, im 25, male and I am looking to get alittle darker.

I dont think I have the patience or know how for a self tanner spray or something like that

What should I do guys?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
54 Posts
the way i see it everything in life is bad for us in some way or other..the air we breath....the food we eat and all its preservatives....the booze we drink...the cigarettes we smoke...or inhale from others cigs....so everything in moderation....including tanning....i tan and use a great lotion as well as lots of moisturizing before and after....moisturized skin tans better and dont forget to drink lots of water

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Do you guys think tanning beds are bad for you? I have pretty fair skin, im 25, male and I am looking to get alittle darker.

I dont think I have the patience or know how for a self tanner spray or something like that

What should I do guys?

Thanks in advance
What should you do? You should find a place that offers spray tanning, or buy a self tanning cream. They make some really good ones that are easy to use.

If the above doesn't sound good then.......
Wear a good broad spectrum sunscreen with UVA/UVB protection, with a high SPF! Of course you aren't going to be able to avoid the sun completely. You are 25 and have life to live, right. But a sun damaged wrinkled face won't be attractive 5 years from now- So at least protect your face from it. You will thank me later-

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think tanning beds are bad because they came out at a time where were still learning the long term effects. It tans a different layer of skin than the sun does. If you are insistent on a tan I think the natural sun in moderation would be better. The spray tan is the best way to go.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I can attest to how bad tanning beds are. I am a recovering tanorexic and admittedly am not perfect with it as I do still indulge in the natural sun when I feel really pale which I know I should not but it is a far cry from my daily sunbed use since I was 16 until this year. Why do I say they are bad--well for many many years I tanned at salons and outdoors but being of half Mediterranean and half Scandinavian origin with more "Mediterranean" skin I never thought it would harm me. I also went to tanning beds in Northern Europe and only tanned outdoors on rare occassions and on holidays until I lived in Thailand and then here in Miami in USA. This was the last few years and I also supplemented this by going daily to a tanning salon in Miami. This coupled with aggressive exfoliation has seriously damaged my skin all over my body. My face, which I always use sunblock on, is virtually wrinkle free whereas my body skin very suddenly aged. I do not attribute it solely to the tanning salon but also to my exfoliation but that said I was going to a high pressure tanning salon with strong UVA beds and used this daily for a a year and suddenly saw this breakdown.

I am repairing my skin now but I would NOT go back to a tanning salon because the UVA, which salons rely heavy on to give a nicer, deeper tan and no burn, are also the rays that degrade collagen and elastin more and cause DNA changes. UVB actually has always been blamed but it burns you thereby giving SOME warning you did something wrong whereas UVA does not. If you want a tan take it from someone who knows--do not get addicted to tanning beds!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Lexi

I too have spent many years in the tanning salon. I love the natural sun as well. Since joining this forum I have, so far avoided lying out in the sun (which has not been easy for me) and I also started wearing sunblock which I had never ever done before. I never realized that this was an actual addiction for me. But I just love the look of a tanned body... Anyway I was wondering how did you tan in the salon without tanning your face????? you said you have always worn sunscreen.....how did you blend your facial color to match the rest of your tanned body??? I was just wondering as a past tanorexic myself LOL......I know its a silly question..... I have actually been trying to find a good self tanner. I purchased one the other day in Sephora, its OK but dont think it was worth the money. If anyone can recommend a good self tanner I would love to hear about it...thanks

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Hi Lexi

I too have spent many years in the tanning salon. I love the natural sun as well. Since joining this forum I have, so far avoided lying out in the sun (which has not been easy for me) and I also started wearing sunblock which I had never ever done before. I never realized that this was an actual addiction for me. But I just love the look of a tanned body... Anyway I was wondering how did you tan in the salon without tanning your face????? you said you have always worn sunscreen.....how did you blend your facial color to match the rest of your tanned body??? I was just wondering as a past tanorexic myself LOL......I know its a silly question..... I have actually been trying to find a good self tanner. I purchased one the other day in Sephora, its OK but dont think it was worth the money. If anyone can recommend a good self tanner I would love to hear about it...thanks
Hi Mom-

These are two that I use and like very much.

TanTowel, Inc. | Sunless Tanning, Best Self Tanner, Tanning Lotion | Manufacturer of the Original Sunless Tanning Towelette | Sunless Tanning | Self Tan | Tanning Spray
Clarins: Sun - Self Tanners | Natural Beauty Products

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
In addition to these good ideas, jm, you might do better with a gradual self-tanner, since it goes on like a moisturizer and you don't have to be as "careful" with it streaking and spotting as with other self-tanners. You just apply it every day after showering and then it gradually builds up a color, not the jolt of color that some give.

There are many brands. Just look for "gradual" on the label. Jergen's, L'Oreal, all make them.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
In addition to these good ideas, jm, you might do better with a gradual self-tanner, since it goes on like a moisturizer and you don't have to be as "careful" with it streaking and spotting as with other self-tanners. You just apply it every day after showering and then it gradually builds up a color, not the jolt of color that some give.

There are many brands. Just look for "gradual" on the label. Jergen's, L'Oreal, all make them.
I used the L'Oreal gradual bronzer last summer and it worked well for me, so I plan to use it again this year.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts

Yes, it works good to mix in a moisturizer with the Clarins. I do this around my ankles, knees, elbows, etc

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Guys,

The self-tanner I purchased at Sephora is Sevin Nyne...The sales girl insisted it was a good self tanner. It actually has caramel in it...It is a spray, its not bad, but you have to be really careful, everytime I use it my whole bathroom gets a caramel glaze. It wipes up easily but it is still a pain in the neck. The color is not bad, does not make you orange. I think I may try the tan towels, or like Fawnie suggested the gradual tanners. I will let you know how I make out. I am so tempted to sit out in the sun like I have ALWAYS done, but like I said before you guys have really helped to convince me to avoid the sun. I am also still using the Green Cream and Vit C serum, so I realize the importance of using sunscreen and avoiding the sun, especially since I am using these products. I am really trying........Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Momof2girlz--I always wore a sunblock 50 under my make-up or would go to the tanning salon before i showered or put on make-up and wore a sunblock. I actually use Guerlain Bronzing Powder and can almost flawlessly match my skin on my body. In the last few years I started to use a 30 on my decollatage as well and now I have quit the tanning salon completely (despite having paid up for a full year of unlimited!) and now sit only on the rare day in the natural sun. For me sitting at the beach is very relaxing and having some colour is important to me like you but more than that I NEED to have some color because even with a 50 sunblock EVERYWHERE I live in Miami now and cannot stay out of the sun and do get a burn if I have NO base at all. I am actually considering moving back to UK for many reasons but one is my skin! I hated myself white and I also have to say looking at my bottom in the mirror when I have NO tan and tan lines now I hate the white look!

I too am really looking for a self-tanner that goes on even, stays on a long enough time, does not wash off as your skin exfoliates but rather naturally fades etc. This is what has kept me addicted to the sun as I never found that and every time I have tried I only got these splotchy tans, orange hands (palms) faded hands, neck or decollatage, uneven ugly white spots, orange sheets and clothes etc. I just have yet to find a decent one NO MATTER how much people say they are good.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I am in love with Mark Costa Rica self tanner. It does not have that awful smell. It actually smells like melon. It's a little tinted and shimmery so it gives an instant pretty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe that sunbeds are really bad for you, specially if you have fair skin!

A recent report from the World Health Organization said that the use of sunbed before the age of 30 can higher the risks of skin cancer by 75%... How much are you ready to pay for your tan?

Have any of you heard of unmanned tanning salons? What do you think about it?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I believe that sunbeds are really bad for you, specially if you have fair skin!

A recent report from the World Health Organization said that the use of sunbed before the age of 30 can higher the risks of skin cancer by 75%... How much are you ready to pay for your tan?

Have any of you heard of unmanned tanning salons? What do you think about it?
In Denmark they have 24/7 unmanned salons I used to go to after a night out when I knew I would be hungover the next day. You put the money in then just get tokens and tan. I am not a huge opponent of tanning salons. I think everything is ok in moderation and in reality as another poster said, everything is bad to a degree. I think the WHO stated the bloody obvious--since when did we NOT know in the last 20 years that UV caused cancer and aging? This all said, years ago whole milk and eggs were the evil of the world, every day it will change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree, the problem is with people who use sunbeds to the extreme! I believe that under 18 arenâ€2122t responsible enough and could make mistakes they will regret in the future…
There is this petition on the internet campaigning for stricter regulations on sunbeds and promote responsible tanning in the UK. It's St Tropez Skin Smart petition (sttropezskinsmart.org) and really easy to join!

As you said, the WHO stated the obvious, sunbeds can cause cancer, so… Wouldnâ€2122t it be better to put an under 18 restriction or ban unmanned salons??

1 - 20 of 102 Posts