Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have very pale skin and want to get some color. Should I buy a product at the store, use a tanning bed, or get a spray tan?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Latest news is that tanning beds cause skin cancer. Don't go there. Store products tend to leave lines on pale skin unless you exfoliate really well prior, like with a body brush. Never had a spray tan, so wonder if it smells like the store brands do. I really love using Arbonne's No Sun Intended Self-Tanner. It's accumulative--the more you use it, the darker it gets so avoids streaks, and has SPF 15 and no funky stench. Or you could use a bronzer which you brush on, and wash off.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Yes the spray tans do stink! - My friend had it done for her wedding, and worse it looked really fake! (streaky!) get your tan from a tube, or go for a powder bronzer, you can apply it where you need it, and it's so much safer! (NO TANNING BEDS!) Not only can tehy cause cancer, they make your skin seem older than it realy is. It's better to be pale and healthy with a little bit of bronzer, than sickly-old looking, with weather beaten skin.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Those old UVA (AGING) rays--that's what tanning salons provide plus the added benefit of skin cancer...and for so many years they said they were safe...makes you wonder what else isn't sooo safe after all, doesn't it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can you Johnson's Holiday Skin either in a store or online. Face one's great and body one's good too. Is a moisturiser with added self tan but can be built up subtly without going orange!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
My opinion, and I am a former tanorexic is as follows: if you are able to go to a tanning salon for a couple of times a week and keep it to a few minutes a time and get enough colour to not feel ugly pale yet not enough to burn you EVER and just enough to not make you look fake, just sun-exposed or "healthy" then I say that you should F*KC the advice and go for it. It is the most natural look and YES-did we not know that something emulating and causing the same effect as something that causes cancer was going to, in excess and in certain groups only, also cause cancer?????

I have tried as I can to embrace spray tans, (uneven despite having the best on the market, they wear off differently depending on how well exfoliated you were, how much you wash different areas etc) they smell, they are awkward, they require almost going 100% white to redo to get desired colour (you cannot maintain in any real normal way) and the same if not worse can be said for those tanning creams and lotions.

I wish they would spend HALF the time they do whining about the hazards of the sun to developing a product like ********* (it is a shot only now but a promising mechanism to stimulate the melanin inducing hormone in your body and turn you tan WITHOUT the sun exposure, it consequently protects against cancer and gives benefits of natural sunlight such as vitamin D production).

Until then, everything in moderation. If you just want "some colour" go for a bronzer, otherwise if you are looking for colour not just cosmetic colour for a night out, then I suggest the good old fashioned way, just be smart and safe--we are human and we were not born to be in the shade, in fact being white was a defense against TOO little sun-exposure.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
The problem is we live too long...eventually a little sun here and a little sun there accumulates to a lotta sun damage. Looking like a old alligator bag when I'm 70 isn't so bad but I don't want my nose and ears and lips cut away d/t skin cancers!! EEEP!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have very fair skin too. This past summer I used "Bain de Soleil Mega Tan" self tanner. I have to say I was very happy with it. It gave a natural non-orange color. It started out pretty light, then you could darken it over time. And it was the only self-tanner that I didn't despise the smell of. It smelled kind of coconut-y, like suntan lotion. It has an SPF4, which is really minimal, so I used a sunscreen as well. I got it from drugstore.com.

Please don't use a tanning bed. I know self tanners can be a pain in the b***, but real tanning is SO bad for you!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I do not disagree with any of you, and in fact I may well try the bain de soleil (wow that was the first tanning oil I used as my mother used to use it too---that was when OIL was still in). I just am of the mindset that we are all going to get old and if it is a question of someone NOT doing as I did and doing daily tanning salons, then a couple of days here and there will not kill you. I think it is about taking calculated risks, not self-deprivation, we do or should live a long time, but how many times do we hear of people that just dropped dead long before their time?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I LOVE the Mystic Tan brand spray tan booth. If you cover your toes, palms of your hands, etc. I've NEVER streaked with Mystic Tan. Last time I went they had 3 levels of "darkness". If you are very pale like myself, go for the lightest and build up from there. I've tried 2 other types of spray tan booths and streaked every time. Ugh. Mystic Tan is THE best.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I LOVE the Mystic Tan brand spray tan booth. If you cover your toes, palms of your hands, etc. I've NEVER streaked with Mystic Tan. Last time I went they had 3 levels of "darkness". If you are very pale like myself, go for the lightest and build up from there. I've tried 2 other types of spray tan booths and streaked every time. Ugh. Mystic Tan is THE best.
I also tried it, it was great for me for two days then on the third day it looked funny around my hands/wrists. I never seem to have luck with these. I am looking for a good self-tanner now, one that does not have the "uneven wear-off" effect like most do. Naturally I wash hands and face more and use retin-a on face so these areas turn over more but I would hope that some company would find a way to deal with that issue. I am very white at present from doing all my TCA and I look yellow (I have Asian type skin that looks better brown or it gets that yellow tinge to it). Anyone who can recommend a great self-tanner feel free. I did hear one by Biotherm but forgot which it was. I need to have some colour by next weekend anyway, at present I look like Morticia!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I also tried it, it was great for me for two days then on the third day it looked funny around my hands/wrists. I never seem to have luck with these. I am looking for a good self-tanner now, one that does not have the "uneven wear-off" effect like most do. Naturally I wash hands and face more and use retin-a on face so these areas turn over more but I would hope that some company would find a way to deal with that issue. I am very white at present from doing all my TCA and I look yellow (I have Asian type skin that looks better brown or it gets that yellow tinge to it). Anyone who can recommend a great self-tanner feel free. I did hear one by Biotherm but forgot which it was. I need to have some colour by next weekend anyway, at present I look like Morticia!
I forgot what store brand self-tanner I had that I used to touch up areas that faded before other areas. Some spray on stuff, but it was good! I wish I still had it so I could give you a name, but I cleaned out my drawers and boxes of old lotions and stuff a few weeks ago. This was a very fine spray that I used even on the backs of my hands. Also on places where it might have been darker than I like, I used a pumice stone to rub away the excess "tan". HTH. Sucks for us white gals and the self-tanners sometimes.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
So true Sandia! It is what annoys me with the self-tanners. I mean I read these threads and AT LEAST there is HQ and other "whiteners" but in reality whiteness is actually a negative evolutionary, recessive trait. It developed as an answer to aid in those of us that would othewise NOT get enough Vitamin D from sun exposure, now we are stuck with it and frankly it just ages us faster, leaves us more vulnerable to sun-damage and aging and cancer and loads of other stuff. I am tired of hearing about "embracing" the whiteness I really am disappointed that a perfectly good development of an antidote to whiteness is there to be tested, refined and marketed and nobody wants to go near it bar an Australian company (*********).

·
Registered
139 Posts
So true Sandia! It is what annoys me with the self-tanners. I mean I read these threads and AT LEAST there is HQ and other "whiteners" but in reality whiteness is actually a negative evolutionary, recessive trait. It developed as an answer to aid in those of us that would othewise NOT get enough Vitamin D from sun exposure, now we are stuck with it and frankly it just ages us faster, leaves us more vulnerable to sun-damage and aging and cancer and loads of other stuff. I am tired of hearing about "embracing" the whiteness I really am disappointed that a perfectly good development of an antidote to whiteness is there to be tested, refined and marketed and nobody wants to go near it bar an Australian company (*********).
can you give me some more info about this Australian company? Is it possible to buy this in Australia?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
can you give me some more info about this Australian company? Is it possible to buy this in Australia?
As I recall you can get in clinical trials and if you google on the web there are places to buy it. IT IS INJECTION though and side-effects are not well studied.

********* does have a website but there are so many various fake websites. This is a photo of a guy who used it before and after, it is quite impressive.

http://*********.org/yabbfiles/Attachments/mt2post2.JPG

I personally would love to have this and in USA I do believe Merck and Co is going for a patent, but all that means is they will spend a decade researching it and maybe when I am too old to care it will become available legally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been using jergens natural glow on my body religiously and i am pretty pale. Since i have been using the product daily i have noticed a drastic but gradual change in my skin color i look TAN dare i say it lol. And for a boost on the face i have been using a product called LOREAL sublime bronze its a tanning gel and it is perfect for the face. You see results in an hour. And now my skin on my body is just as dark as my face. I have heard paula begouns self tanner is also great for the face if you break out easily as her products contain no fragrance. So take it from me a former paley (lol) its not worth the sun damage with all the amazing products on the market. I don't need anything else making me look older!! thats for sure!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
********* does have a website but there are so many various fake websites.
Yes, also be careful when individuals come into public forums touting usage of one of the two ********* peptides. Unfortunately there are shills with a financial interest in selling these drugs that like to run around speaking glowingly about their usage while limiting discussion about their current unlicensed and unregulated status (outside of government sanction human trials).

·
Registered
2 Posts
We all look better with a bit of color...except for Nicole Kidman. I'm naturally skepticle about most national brand "off the shelf" products since I've been burned (pardon the pun) by so many and just reading the threads tell me I'm not alone. Cheap products are for cheap people--and I value my skin, it's the only one I've got. That said, was thrilled with the natural tan delivered by Arbonne Made in the Shade and I used it at the pool instead of sunscreen (but it has sunscreen in it) and the tan was fabulous and it lasted a long time without wearing off in patches. I order it from supernaturalskin.arbonne,com and get it within 4 days right to my doorstep. Love that it's natural. Smells great. Works like a charm. Will be using it this weekend before the ball.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts