Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm going to do a TCA peel on my knees and elbows and I have read the instructions and I'm ready to do it! But because I think the members here are smarter than dermatologists... I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips, suggestions, thoughts on some things I may need to keep in mind during this process...? I've never done a TCA peel before. I've put retinA and HQ on there before, but I stopped applying it about a week ago for the peel...

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Well I have done some peeling now and have spoken to surgeons (plastics) who do this regularly. They say that strength is less important than is frosting, a necessity for a good peel. Clean the area thoroughly, degrease, even use rubbing alcohol if you can first. Try and exfoliate as much as possible before hand. The TCA is self-limiting, even if it hurts and is white and frosting, that does not mean time is up. If you have areas that are NOT frosting, add a layer, that is thicker skin. It will sting and burn and my first times I have panicked thinking I was getting acid burns/scars. but in reality until it reaches the papillary dermis it is not really a deep peel. You take it off too soon and all you have done is a painful, scarier glycolic peel.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Well I have done some peeling now and have spoken to surgeons (plastics) who do this regularly. They say that strength is less important than is frosting, a necessity for a good peel. Clean the area thoroughly, degrease, even use rubbing alcohol if you can first. Try and exfoliate as much as possible before hand. The TCA is self-limiting, even if it hurts and is white and frosting, that does not mean time is up. If you have areas that are NOT frosting, add a layer, that is thicker skin. It will sting and burn and my first times I have panicked thinking I was getting acid burns/scars. but in reality until it reaches the papillary dermis it is not really a deep peel. You take it off too soon and all you have done is a painful, scarier glycolic peel.
Hi Lexi, so it is best to use rubbing alcohol first before applying the TCA peel? Should I also do this with AHA peels too?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Hi Lexi, so it is best to use rubbing alcohol first before applying the TCA peel? Should I also do this with AHA peels too?
No! AHA unglues the epidermis, it is ok if it is a bit greasy, the alcohol is to degrease, grease slows the absorption of the tca.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have done glycolic and TCA peels (25%) on my elbows several times. I saw slight improvements with glycolic acid, but the TCA has worked wonderfully for me in that area. I tend to get darkening here and the TCA strips that off with one application. Very little stinging either for me here.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have done glycolic and TCA peels (25%) on my elbows several times. I saw slight improvements with glycolic acid, but the TCA has worked wonderfully for me in that area. I tend to get darkening here and the TCA strips that off with one application. Very little stinging either for me here.
Elbows do not sting for some reason, isn't that strange!Glycolic is really too superficial to see a difference.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info guys! I actually did my elbows and knees on Saturday and I had already done some retin-A and HQ on those areas previously, so there was already some peeling on my elbows to start with... so I'm not sure if the peeling is from the retin-A or the TCA, but my elbows are peeling pretty nicely... There is a small area that looks like a burn :-/ So I'm just hoping that peels off....

As far as my knees go.. I don't have rough knees or anyting, just want to lighten up some old scarring, but that TCA did nothing to them! I don't know, maybe I need to do it again with 2 layers of the TCA 18% next time because my knees were like..."WHAT?? Is that all you got??!" lol

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
BTW just did a double layer full body TCA of 24%---no stinging, slight warmth NO frosting and just a bit of redness. I think I need to wait until my next 30% and do a Jessner layer followed by a 30% layer on the body.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
The jessner's is a great peel, I used it to get rid of some year old scars on my legs from a football injury, its a classic and works well by breaking intracellular bridges between keratinocytes and producing a more even toned color.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The jessner's is a great peel, I used it to get rid of some year old scars on my legs from a football injury, its a classic and works well by breaking intracellular bridges between keratinocytes and producing a more even toned color.
I have a scar on my leg from where I sutured myself that I want faded (jetski accident). I sutured it with thread which was no help and a standard large sewing needle IN salt water. I want to see if this will fade. I also have one on my foot and one above my eye from a motorcycle accident (yes I am a daredevil too--though I was on the back of my ex). This is the same cause of the oral surgery btw.

That all said, Jessner underneath a tca is allegedly far more effective. So I am going to start doing these.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a scar on my leg from where I sutured myself that I want faded (jetski accident). I sutured it with thread which was no help and a standard large sewing needle IN salt water. I want to see if this will fade. I also have one on my foot and one above my eye from a motorcycle accident (yes I am a daredevil too--though I was on the back of my ex). This is the same cause of the oral surgery btw.

That all said, Jessner underneath a tca is allegedly far more effective. So I am going to start doing these.
Oh my Lexi you are hard core!! You stitched yourself up?!?!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
yes, first you have to lighten the acne scar with a RA/HQ, then a couple of TCA peels, then once the scars are lightened and all you are left with are holes/pockmarks, you can get collagen or silicone filler injections from your local plastic surgeon or dermatologist (if they do that), otherwise you can get the q switched ruby procedure but for dark skin it bleaches it and your color doesnt come back.

The plastic surgeons also has another option to cut a piece of skin from somewhere on your body and sew it into the scar to even it out and get rid of the holes.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
is there any treatment for Acne scarring - (aside from Fraxel Lazering)...?
Depending on how deep the scars are, yes, there is a variety of treatments you can try.

Microdermabrasions
Peels, TCA works the best for acne scarring
Laser

I say get a few professional microderms and this might be all you will need. Then if you need more, take it one step further and go for a few TCA peels. Then laser if all else fails.

Getting rid of acne scars just takes time and patience. You can have great results if you TAKE the time and HAVE the patience-

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Acne scarring---ok for pitting, this is actually good. You take 50% TCA solution and a toothpick. You dip the toothpick in the 50% solution, then place it carefully into the pit. It will sting a bit not much and eventually bleed/scab. The following days the scar will fill in with new skin. Good dermatologists now use this pretty regularly. For diffuse scarring laser remains the best solution and barring that repeated peels aimed at breaking down scar tissue, remodelling skin, and building collagen.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
lexi, can u use the same method for huge oversized pores?
I am not a dermatologist but here would be my answer: YES. I will say why I say yes and explain the "mechanism of action" of the TCA ice-pick scar cure. It is my assumption that in introducing 50% TCA into an open hole on a toothpick you end up singing the skin around the circumference of the toothpick where it touches the skin, not just the bottom of the actual scar. The bottom and sides are now open wounds and because they are small they heal relatively scarless and in healing the natural pattern of collagen and tissue is to reach out toward each other thus the original reason for the ice-pick (or pore actually) is a comodone of some degree that blocked it off and stretched it is reversed with this process.

I would try one in an inconspicuous place and see what happens, I think it will work.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts