Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried a lot of stuff to get rid of my age spots. I am 47 and I have had them for at least 10 years. I have tried Glycolic acid peels at 50%, Retin A at 1% and CP and now the newest thing............TCA peel. I got the 12.5% and dabbed it on yesterday. Waited the required 5 min and then did it again and waited 5 more min. The area around the spot is slightly red ( on one of them ) and they both appear crinkly but I am thinking now I may have needed to start with 25%. If there is someone here who has had success ridding themselves of these things that SCREAM I am in my 40's and getting older ( age spots ) please help a girl out! Please don't suggest a derm doc I already inquired and the cost is WAY out of my budget

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If they are red it may be a good sign as your own immune system may well be working to get rid of them. I had a couple from excess sun exposure (I am 10 years younger than you) and I used retin-a on them and they went away after about 6 months. Do not despair!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well things are looking a little better. The spots are much darker now and is just starting to peel a little. The area is still very crinkly. I am so anxious now to see if the brown will just peel away.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Well things are looking a little better. The spots are much darker now and is just starting to peel a little. The area is still very crinkly. I am so anxious now to see if the brown will just peel away.
Yep! If you are at the crinkly stage, you are almost done!! I have done these before-the healing part sucks, but underneath will be beautiful! It will start to just flake away. Are you using anything for moisture? Around your mouth? Anywhere?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The peel is doing exactly what it should be doing. After it goes brown, the skin will start to peel. Do not rub the skin. it may appear red once the peeling starts but this is the new skin. The fact that you have previously used acid peels, may account for your skin being ok with the 12.5% peel. 25% is very strong, and I think should be used with caution. There is no harm in repeating the 12.5% different intervals. Sometimes less is more. Have fun.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I am keeping moisture on the area. I wanted to spot treat these two spots before I did my whole face so I would first know if it works and also how my skin would react. After doing 50% glycolic peels for 2 years and retin A my skin is easily taking the 12.5% TCA. I won't go any higher as I do know I can layer this. Well I won't until my skin needs more. I just am SO anxious to see that pink new skin and be rid of the ugly brown old lady spots.!! I know I have a few more days to go. Will update again in a few days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dear goatlady, I love TCA peels. The pink new skin will appear. I have been trialling the TCA on one hand and there is outstanding difference in my two hands. With the one I have been doing it to, the brown age spots have almost gone. I also use Lactic acid which I get from makeupartistschoice.com which has licorice extract to lighten the skin. I have done this experiment, as I like to know something is really working, and it is. Makeupartistschoice website has a wonderful array of antiageing products. With the TCA peel you don't have to do the whole face, but concentrate on areas with deep lines. I have some deep lines around my mouth and have been working on them, as I cannot alway have down time for the full face peeling. People frequently comment on how good my skin looks. With the lactic acid, there is no peeling. The skin feels so soft after doing it. Makeupartists choice come with wonderful instructions on how to do a peel, what happens during the peel and post peel. Have fun.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first try with this 12.5% TCA from MUAC did lighten my spots enough that I could easily hide them with makeup BUT they are not gone. After coming back from vacation last night I did the peel again but this time my whole face. I did 2 layers. OUCH that does sting but it wasn't unbearable with my fan. So I am in day 2. Time will tell, but I think I am needing a stronger solution. I have been doing glycolic at 50% and retin A for about 2 years and my skin is tough. I think I will look into to the lactic peel also. I may do it for a while then try the stronger TCA later.

·
Registered
958 Posts
This is very interesting. I have not dared to touch the TCA yet. I have tried glycoilc, but got best results with a 30% lactic / 20% salicylic peel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have tried a lot of stuff to get rid of my age spots. I am 47 and I have had them for at least 10 years. I have tried Glycolic acid peels at 50%, Retin A at 1% and CP and now the newest thing............TCA peel. I got the 12.5% and dabbed it on yesterday. Waited the required 5 min and then did it again and waited 5 more min. The area around the spot is slightly red ( on one of them ) and they both appear crinkly but I am thinking now I may have needed to start with 25%. If there is someone here who has had success ridding themselves of these things that SCREAM I am in my 40's and getting older ( age spots ) please help a girl out! Please don't suggest a derm doc I already inquired and the cost is WAY out of my budget
I have tried, with success the TCA peels. Once the skin gets wrinkly, the first step, then it turns darker. After a week or so, it will start to peel. Your "spots" should have lightened up or disappeared altogether! If not wait a couple of weeks and try again. The TCA peel does work! I used (I think) the 15%, because I didn't want to go to high. It does burn a little, but that means it's working. Nothing to be afraid of. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I would love to learn more about the TCA. Anyone with a lot of experience? I am looking for it for my body. I was going to get some on certain areas but now I am no longer in the sun and my body skin is healing from CP damage and I notice I have a "permatan" top layer of my skin which is rather dry and kind of darker than my skin should be. I would eventually (not now) like to do some peels to remove freckles and some of that topical tan which is more or less damaged skin.

How high have you all gone with TCA at home and what is the entire process like? How large are the areas you have treated? For my needs doing it in office will be both expensive and time consuming but I would rather be safe than sorry. That said if it is relatively easy to do I would prefer to do several over time in my home than deeper ones in an office setting.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This was my first time. I started with the 12.5%. I think 8 is the lowest. At first I just did the 2 spots about the size of a dime. But last night my whole face doing one layer waiting 5 min then did another layer and waited 5 more. It does sting especially that second layer. So far no adverse effects. I will no doubt do my arms one day in the near future. My arms look so awful from years of sun damage. I am so ashamed I have thought of going out in long sleeves. Of course it could get quite expensive to so so much of the body. I have tried glycolic creams and even 50% peels on my arms with not much help. I will post again my results from my all over face peel once I am through the peeling stage which will take about a week.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
This was my first time. I started with the 12.5%. I think 8 is the lowest. At first I just did the 2 spots about the size of a dime. But last night my whole face doing one layer waiting 5 min then did another layer and waited 5 more. It does sting especially that second layer. So far no adverse effects. I will no doubt do my arms one day in the near future. My arms look so awful from years of sun damage. I am so ashamed I have thought of going out in long sleeves. Of course it could get quite expensive to so so much of the body. I have tried glycolic creams and even 50% peels on my arms with not much help. I will post again my results from my all over face peel once I am through the peeling stage which will take about a week.
That is really interesting as I too have that damage you talk about. It is on my arms, hands and decolletage mostly and it is freckled/perma-tanned (as I call it). I actually have fought giving up the sun for years because my skin actually looks better tanned as it hides the damage. If I could genuinly get the mottled/freckled/perma-tanned skin off and resurfaced I would be thrilled to use bronzers, sray tans and high spf and have a smoother skin. As it is now I am just depressed over not being able to be tan anymore.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have never thought of freckles as really that bad? We have them from childhood and when we are 15 we can really have a lot of them. I refuse to call them sun damage. I have heard doctors, dermatologists, beauticians and others call them photo-damage. We need sun, it is healthy, it gives us energy and strengthens us for winter. We are made to tan. Age spots and rough skin are something different.

I am very interested in the stuff you talk about here. I want to do a TCA peel to get rid of remains of earlier acne problens and to get a more even color on my face. I have been afraid the TCA peel would make my skin permanently winter pale and not able to tan normally. I have also been thinking of laser-resurfacing my skin. This thread is really interesting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Again! I am 60 years old and started doing TCA peels a couple of years ago. I did them for "age spots" on my hands and the sides of my face. I play golf, tennis and garden, so I am out in the sun a lot! Other women are always commenting about my smooth and even toned face. It's because I do TCA peels at home! The website where I purchased the peels is "makeupartistschoice.com. It's inexpensive, but you MUST follow the instructions!!!!! I have fairly normal skin and I have been using 15%. Not too drastic. It does burn a bit, but hey it's an acid! And if it burns too much you just neutralize it as instructed! Go to the website and check it out. Good Luck

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello LuckyLiza
I am also an avid gardener and been in the sun all my life. Even as a child going on the boat with my uncle to fish in Florida. So I do have some terrible sun damage. I have 2 spots on each side of my face that just SCREAMS. I am right now in the process of my second TCA peel and waiting for the peeling. The first one did show some promise as the spots were light enough I could cover them. Right now with the new layers of TCA they are very brown and dark and I know it means it is working. I wanted to say if that is you in the pic for your grandkids you look FANTASTIC! I am so glad I found TCA and this forum

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just posted 2 photos of myself a kinda before and after so you can see the difference. Let me know what you think ( honestly
) I can take it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Goatlady, I just checked out your photos. It's hard to tell what a peel has done as far as wrinkles in a photo because the lighting is different as is your expression, but I see what you mean about the dark spot on your cheek/chin! I haven't had a TCA peel yet, but I will give myself one after I've been through a few glycolics successfully (have done 2 already)

The glycolic peels have lightened most of my freckles, but there are stubborn freckles-turned-age spots that just won't go. I'm hoping the TCA peel will lift them and get them gone for good. I'm afraid of the downtime though...and sort of putting it off.

Freckles look great on 15-year-olds, but they look like liverspots on 41-year-olds, imho. This is why I'm trying to get rid of them...it ages me greatly to have a face full of freckles now.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Clabbergirl, I did the glycolic peels for about 2 years. 50% solution. It did lighten and brighten my skin but the larger spots would not go away. I knew I needed something stronger. I don't know if over time TCA will help with the wrinkles, but I just invested in Retin-A for that. I sure hope it will do the trick! For me the TCA is for the ugly brown spots on my skin not the wrinkles. I am honestly surprised my skin isn't worse from all the years of the Florida sun and getting burned so badly.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there,

I'm sorry that you've had no success as yet. You really need to be careful with the products you mention in case you do more harm than good because they really need a professional application.

I'm sure you know that sun-screen with high SPF will help prevent further damage [age spots].

Have you considered RETIN A cream? It is supposed to improve fine lines, skin texture and vertical lines and help skin look younger.

It could help revitalize your complexion. Also, topical Vitamin C may help,

Best of luck,

redrose

1 - 20 of 126 Posts