Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! In fishing around the forum, I came across some interesting info re TCA peels in the anti-aging dept. After reading every single post, I decided to give it a try from the source users there recommended.

First, you cleanse gently with a green tea soap included in the kit.

Then, I used the 12.5% tca peel on my forearms & the backs of my hands, I used 2 applications, 5 mins apart as per the instructions. For a first try on my face & neck, I used only one application. On the face, you put Vaseline around your eyes, lips & nostril openings.

After the time elapsed, I used a sponge (incl in the kit) dipped in neutralizing solution (you make this at home following the kit's instructions: 1 /12 c tepid water, 2 tbsp Baking soda) to neutralize & clear the acid off . then, you use the green tea soap to re-cleanse & gently pat dry.

After that, you apply an anti-biotic ointment (like polysporin).

So far, my skin is glass smooth & has an odd shine. Pundits at the anti-aging dept. say this is normal & peeling will begin in a few days. Since I am lightening, I thought getting rid of dead skin this way might be a good idea. TCA peels also, apparently, tighten loose skin & remove fine lines & smooth medium to heavy ones & treat acne well.

Until the peeling finished & the new skin is ready (10 days or so) I will NOT be applying anything besides what is indicated in the kit's directions to the treated areas. I will periodically update you on the changes. Anyone who has also tried this, please share your experiences here for everyone to learn from. Thanks, guys!

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Hooray ondine, i am excited for you!! But if you get too tight around your mouth area, which I always do, make sure and apply something. Vaseline will work, I use a product from Sesderma. And I do apply it often, and it has never bothered the results of my peels.

I wish you luck-
your a brave soul to do this on a holiday weekend.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys! Freddy! It is nice seeing you here. Hoe's the scar treatment coming along?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again! It is TCA peel day 2. My neck began feeling funny last night: oddly tight & a little sore. More polysporin zapped that. My face is the same as always but with a little shine (due in no small part to the polysporin). The forearms & hands are just strangely smooth. I imagine that peeling should begin soon....but so far, not a heck of a lot is happening. Perhaps this is the calm before the storm....

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
It is really hard to explain, but you will know when you are going to start with the skin peel process of it all. Your skin will start to get a brownish tint and get very very dry. It will look similar to a burn from the iron or curling iron. The less you moisturize, the better and faster it will peel. I just kept my mouth moisturized, and used just a little in order to have movement, eat, drink, smile, etc.

There have been a few occasions where I just had flaky skin and not an actual peel. If this happens, you didn't apply enough or it was not strong enough for you.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
gymrat is right, that was my experience, it will be day 4 or 5 before you start to notice any peeling or flaking and I also had the areas that hardly flaked due to not having enough on and it not being strong enough. Trust me however 18% it appears is! I didn't use a whole lot of moisture either but this one spot from the 18% I put ointment on the night I did it and today due to it still feeling a bit sore but after tonight I won't use it unless it really turns red.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Day 3 & were you guys ever right! My neck looks like the hide of an ancient elephant! Holy crap! It feels like cement! I slathered on ointment & it helped make it feel less tight. It does look like I tried to curl it in a curling iron! So far, there are just a couple of 'curling iron burn' marks on my face: I look like the world's most incompetent coiffeuse
I've fried everything except my hair! So far, my arms & hands have not done anything besides shine a little
. I used 2 coats on this area & my skin just laughed it off....onless i'm speaking too soon...My face is greasy with polysporin & I look like I have a hygiene issue
. I wonder if my face will look like my neck tomorrow morning
I'l try to get a clear photo just for laughs because this neck is really gross-looking. Interesting that you guys were able to forego moisture for the most part. You 2 are really hard-core! My neck was so tight I was afraid to asphyxiate! It really felt like it would crack open revealing my trachea (NOT the effect I'm going for).

Special thanks to Goatlady & Gymrat for holding my hand through this adventure

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Day 3 & were you guys ever right! My neck looks like the hide of an ancient elephant! Holy crap! It feels like cement! I slathered on ointment & it helped make it feel less tight. It does look like I tried to curl it in a curling iron! So far, there are just a couple of 'curling iron burn' marks on my face: I look like the world's most incompetent coiffeuse
I've fried everything except my hair! So far, my arms & hands have not done anything besides shine a little
. I used 2 coats on this area & my skin just laughed it off....onless i'm speaking too soon...My face is greasy with polysporin & I look like I have a hygiene issue
. I wonder if my face will look like my neck tomorrow morning
I'l try to get a clear photo just for laughs because this neck is really gross-looking. Interesting that you guys were able to forego moisture for the most part. You 2 are really hard-core! My neck was so tight I was afraid to asphyxiate! It really felt like it would crack open revealing my trachea (NOT the effect I'm going for).

Special thanks to Goatlady & Gymrat for holding my hand through this adventure
Oh ondine, you made me laugh!! I totally can understand what point you are at right now. It can be pretty scary when you look at yourself in the mirror. That is why I said you are a brave soul to do this on a holiday weekend.

I tend to do my peels in the fall, beginning of winter up until spring. For me being in CA it just isn't a good idea to do a peel in the summer months and be out and about the hot sun. I am not sure where you live, but just make sure once your peel is complete, lather up with the sunscreen. You don't want to damage the new skin you worked so hard at getting thru the peel process.

Hang in there-you will get worse before you get better. Really, if you can, try to not moisturize-you will get better results. You can do ondine!!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Ondine sounds to me like you should stick with the 12.5% for a while and gradually SLOWLY work your way up in %. Trust me, the 12.5% was nothing on my old hide but the 18% WHEW glad I only spot tested it! If I ever do the 18% it will be ONE layer, in the winter and no doubt I will have to hide for at least 10 days so I don't scare the little children. Hang in there it really does get much better.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Been curious about the TCA peel. Would like to try it, so thanks Gymrat and Goatlady for your input. All the best to you Ondine!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it is morning on day 4. My face hasn't changed; just a couple of minor curling iron burns. Nothing else. Perhaps I should've applied 2 coats on my face? Hands & arms have a little shine but not much to write home about & I painted on 2 coats on this area! My neck, however, is gross. It looks like it needs (BADLY) a good scrubbing: uneven dark blotches, flaky dry parts...looks like a freaky disease
Perhaps they'll name it after me & I'll go down into medical history: ONDINITIS has a nice 'ring' to it!

How soon can I re-apply the TCA to the areas that did not react to it? Can I re-do my face, hands & arms? Will those areas peel within the next few days or is this IT for them?

Goatlady, that 18% sounds like snake venom! YIKES! I'll take your word for it & abstain until winter. I am in QC so we get crappy weather, for the most part. Today, however, is gorgeous & sunny BUT I'll be enjoying it from indoors
. Just seeing it is energizing. We just had 6 consecutive days of cold, wind & rain.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Little Erin just go slow and easy, especially if your skin is not use to any kind of treatment. If it isn't please start with something milder like lactic acid or low percent glycolic. That is how I started. Glycolic peels first for about 2 years.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Ondine the moisture/ointment will slow down the peeling process. Do give yourself more time at least a few more days. I would do the peel again for at least 2 weeks to give your skin some rest time. I was quite impatient the first time, but it took some time to see the peeling start. It could for you be at day 7 everyone's skin is so different.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THank goodnes you responded, goat-lady! I was eyeing that bottle of TCA & itching to reapply it. I'll take your word for it & wait a good 2 weeks. Don't want to make any foolish mistakes (& peel like an onion!)

Goatlady: I was astonished to notice that you only had a Rep Power of 1. The 'system' only let me add 1 point to your rep. You deserve much more for your ready assistance & support of others in this thread & in many others. I, for one, will be sending more your way as soon as I can do so.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Cannot wait to hear how it turns out for you. Just be patient it will peel you really do need a few more days. Right now I am on day 3 of my 18% spot peel and it is just crinkly and REALLY brown. I doubt I will see any peeling for another 4 days. Just keep it somewhat moist. If I feel too dry I just put something light on it I have on hand no heavy stuff like the ointment UNLESS you are feeling pain, stinging or it is scary red. Thanks I don't mind helping out since I have already experienced it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Give it more time and you'll see improvement. I did the same thing when using the TCA peel - wishing I'd applied it more in certain areas. But now that it's all sloughed off (7 days later), I am beginning to see a difference even in those areas that didn't frost upon application. My hand, for some reason, has taken much longer to peel than my face did. It is just now flaking, and the old skin is coming off far different than it did on my face.

You will love the new, fresh skin underneath though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Little Erin just go slow and easy, especially if your skin is not use to any kind of treatment. If it isn't please start with something milder like lactic acid or low percent glycolic. That is how I started. Glycolic peels first for about 2 years.
Goatlady thanks for the advice. Tell me more about lactic acid and glycolic acid. Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ondine, my oh my, your skin is being really worked on. Mono, HQ + Retin A, TCA peel... All the best! By the way do you apply the HQ + Retin A all over your body at midday, do you shower before?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Little Erin, my skin IS getting worked on. But, as you can see by my avatar photo (completely un-made-up) my skin is smooth & clear & doing quite nicely. I pamper it from the inside & I am mercenary about sunblock.

1 - 20 of 203 Posts