Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I am 27 and have been dealing with cycstic acne for over 10 years!!! Sometimes its bad, sometimes its OK, but it is always there!!

I have tried Accutane twice, and although it worked, it made any future outbreaks I had scar, and the result is now I have shallow scarring as well as a fair bit of cystic acne! Needless to say that I want it to be OVER!!

I was thinking of getting OBAGI BLUE peel but nowhere near me performs the treatment. Alot of surgeons will do TCA peels. Does anyone know the difference between the two?? Does the Obagi only seem so appealing because of all the celebrity testimonials out there????

Thanks so much for any help that you can give me!

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Hi and welcome-

I am sorry to hear that Accutane left you with scars. I had cystic acne as well, and took Accutane and had fantastic results. Very little scarring and after a few microderms and a couple peels, I was scar free. Accutane totally cured my acne.

As far as which peel is better, everyone is different. I myself would go for the TCA. I have great results with TCA peels. I do 15% on myself at home, but have done 18% in the Dr office. They really work well.

Have you tried Retin A for your acne? Or differin? I am sure you have if you have taken Accutane.

Best of luck to you-

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Hi I am a newbie here, and just shared my long story on my process with the obagi blue peel.

Okay the only different with obagi and a tca peel, is the obagi of course is the name of the doctor who invented the products and peel, but basically its a tca chemical mixed with a blue dye.

Dr. Obagi invented this because he felt with the blue color, it will help the doctor who applies it to the patients skin, that they can see exactly where the frosting is, and that it is evenly placed all over, without mixing any areas.

I have had both done. I just recently had the obagi blue peel, 15%, two layers.

I also had a tca peel, but can't remember what percentage they used. The first time it literally made ever hyper pigmentation mark and freckle gone! The only con was that, i was young at the time, so known was applied around the eyes, and they missed and area with near my jaw.

So this is what sparked my interest in the blue peel. I figured hey, there is no way they can mix a spot. Well they didn't miss any spots with the blue peel, but i feel like it was not strong enough. The blue dye they mix, actually weakens the chemical, therefore, if you do not get more then 2 layers, then you are wasting time and money.

I would only recommend this obagi blue peel if you get 4 layers applied, and actually a lot of doctors now are not using this blue dye, because they feel that it weakens the chemical, and patients get a better peel.

I spent $725 dollars, and also $300 on the obagi nu derm system. I also took acutane for my acne, twice. It cleared up my cystic acne, but over time, i started to break out again, not as bad, but had to use topical creams, and also tried birth control, which caused melasma to develop on my face, and actually made me break out more.

I now eat a strict healthy diet, plenty of water, and take supplements thats helping keep my skin clear. I also noticed in doing this obagi blue peel it is making my skin breakout. My skin is starting to peel, and the new skin looks as before, still freckles and hyper pigmentation, and little tiny pimples with the white head. I guess its because the peel cleaned out my clogged pores?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Ladolcevita-could you tell me what diet you follow and what supplements you take to aid in keeping your skin clear ? I took Accutane over 20 years ago and have my acne under control, but I am still interested in learning what others do.

I've been reading a bit on TCA peels and see this can be done as a spot treatment at home. Can anyone provide some guidance and reassuring words? My problem area is my cheeks-a few depressed scars, and some red marks. I am just so afraid to make things worse....I already have HUGE regrets about not seeing a Doc sooner, don't want to regret giving myself a TCA peel, too.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi Ladolcevita-could you tell me what diet you follow and what supplements you take to aid in keeping your skin clear ? I took Accutane over 20 years ago and have my acne under control, but I am still interested in learning what others do.

I've been reading a bit on TCA peels and see this can be done as a spot treatment at home. Can anyone provide some guidance and reassuring words? My problem area is my cheeks-a few depressed scars, and some red marks. I am just so afraid to make things worse....I already have HUGE regrets about not seeing a Doc sooner, don't want to regret giving myself a TCA peel, too.
Here ya go, it's a start but you should read the other threads about TCA Peels as well otherwise you might miss some very pertinent info.
http://www.skincaretalk.com/skin-lig...thing-new.html

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Hi Debbie, so sorry to respond now. I just noticed you asked me this question.

But in doing the tca peel, i had a bad experience. I had a good experience the first time, with the tca peel 30% done at my dermatologists office, but this second time in doing the obagi blue peel, i got an awful allergic reaction, and i am also allergic to the obagi products.

But however, before i did the peel, I was not breakout out for months, and the reason i chose to do the peel was to help with hyper pigmentation and some melasma spots from birth control.

But what helps clear up my skin is this, and i am a stronger believer in this.

As far as diet, i make sure i eat no processed foods at all. All my foods are clean, and in clean I mean, fresh home cooked meals, no hydrogenated oils in the foods i buy, and i like to buy organic, but i live in brazil, and organic is not really sold as it is the in the USA, but i try to buy from local markets, and make sure to really clean my veggies and fruits good before eating.

I also make sure to drink enough water. Water is more important then anything. I drink water based on my weight. I drink 2 liters a day, and up to 3 depending on how much exercise i do.

The supplements I take for my acne are

MSM 1,000 mg

Vitamin C 1,000 mg

Green Magma- A green foods drink with multi vitamins ( if you can grow your own wheat grass, or make your own fresh green drink, even better )

Glutathione-500 mg

Beta Carotene 25,000 iu

Udo' Oil- Great stuff!! Please do try this!

I just added to my supplement routine Grapefruit seed extract and Pycnogenol 50 mg.

I also take a probiotic.

Now this is a lot of stuff, but it cleared up my skin sooooo good! And the money i was spending before with creams and doctor appointments was killing my wallet! If you can't afford to buy all of this stuff, or don't want too, i do highly recommend the green magma and udos oil!!

I buy from vitacost, they also ship to me to brazil so its great!

I am back in america now visiting for 3 months, so this is when i thought, hey i have some down time, let me do this peel, but developed this awful rash, causing my skin to break out in tiny little pimples.

Usually my acne breakouts is caused from something internally, and this is why for months i was not breaking out taking my supplements, eating healthy, and exercising, but this time the breakouts is from a chemical allergy, allergy from the blue dye in the obagi blue peel, and allergy from the obagi products!

I think tca peels work great, but if your prone to breakouts, i would discuss first with your doctor, and even if your not breaking out now, ask if possibly they can get you on something to take orally, such as an antibiotic. I don't believe in taking antibiotics unless there is an infection, and too much antibiotic use can cause a resistance in our bodies, but i never ever go on antibiotics, so my doctor now prescribed it to me to help with this pimple rash, but i wish i would of already been on it.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you go ahead and do the tca peel!! And please do not spend the money on an obagi blue peel! Not worth it!

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I had my first few chemical peels done at the dermatologist and a medical spa. It gave me the confidence to do them on my own now, as I know what to expect in terms of pain and frosting.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thank you ladolcevita and theresa !!! I will look into those supplements, they sound wonderful. I had a glycolic acid peel many years ago, I do not remember the percentage. I have since moved to a different city and I will need to find a new professional for the TCA. What a brilliant idea-I will make sure and ask for a mirror whilst they apply the TCA. I'm sure it will be an odd request but hey, if I'm paying......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts