Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had experience of teeth whitening? I've been thinking about making this investement, but I've understood that there are different systems for doing it at the dentist.. Have you had good/bad experience from any particular system? I've also heard that it can cause teeth aching in long term, because it makes the enamel thinner? Just worried cause I've sufford this problem before.. Would be nice to hear your opinion/experience, and how much did it cost? Anyone done it in the UK?

·
Registered
41 Posts
A couple months back I got a kit because I'm a heavy coffee drinker. I still have over half of it left and it only cost me $30. It was a 35% carbamide peroxide gel with moldable trays (the trays were kind of a *&$# to make, not gonna lie). But I got results instantly with the surface stains.

It's true that some sensitivity can occur, but I've only heard about it during use of the product. If you have bad gums, gum recession, etc... you may have increased sensitivity for a day or two, but should go away if you discontinue use.

I don't think anyone is legally allowed to sell anything that's damaging to your enamel like that. haha At least I hope not! We'd have a bunch of teeth whitening junkies out there with semi-transparent teeth and that's just creepy. ;p

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
I bleach my teeth when I need too. I buy my bleach from my dentist. The bleach isn't what is expensive, it is the trays/molds they have to make for your teeth. But worth it in my opinion.

I don't think the bleach would affect your enamel. If this were the case, I don't think dentists would be encouraging patients to use it. Yes, my teeth will sometimes be a little sensitive, but nothing that lasts more than a day or two. I have been bleaching for about 5 or more years. Results are AMAZING-

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I use the pretty strong stuff and it's amazing. BOY does it make your teeth sensitive! I have to drink thru a straw for days and take ibuprofen! WOWZAAAAAA! The discomfort lasts for a few days for me. I can't use it for more than 3 days in a row. I'm a smoker and heavy coffee drinker.

·
Registered
529 Posts
i use white glo toothpaste.. and chew whitening gum.. works ok i guess..
i smoke alot and drink coffee also

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
i use white glo toothpaste.. and chew whitening gum.. works ok i guess..
i smoke alot and drink coffee also
You smoke alot and drink coffee, Kama you may as well tan in a tanning bed to seal the deal!!

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
2 wrongs don't make a right, Kama!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I had the lazer teeth whitening in 2003 it cost $350 it made my teeth white but so sensitive, I had to tell her to stop, I couldn't take it anymore! I will take a skin peel before doing this again! and few months before I had my teeth whitening, I did have amalgams done and after I went for the lazer, the dentist said, I have to do your amalgams they have lost their shine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Has anyone had experience of teeth whitening? I've been thinking about making this investement, but I've understood that there are different systems for doing it at the dentist.. Have you had good/bad experience from any particular system? I've also heard that it can cause teeth aching in long term, because it makes the enamel thinner? Just worried cause I've sufford this problem before.. Would be nice to hear your opinion/experience, and how much did it cost? Anyone done it in the UK?
I know a simple remedy for this. But yea.. takes longer for ur teeth to get white. But it actually works!!

Just after you brush your teeth.. slather over some toothpaste all over your teeth and let it stay for a while.. for about 5 mins. Then rinse off. Regular practice would make teeth brighter and whiter.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I had my teeth whitened in Thailand at my dentists then I also have since started using the cheapest and most effective tooth whitener around...Hydrogen Peroxide. I rinse briefly once a day with a 3% solution and it keeps stains at bay. I also will brush with lemon juice and salt once a month to polish them but it is abrasive and I minimise this as much as I can.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there,

I had a terrible experience from tooth whitening. I was put in a chair and told not to move for about 1 hour while a blue light shone on my mouth. All the while my mouth was held vice-like in a mouth shield and it was hard to breathe.

The dentist left the room and I was alone and afraid because I felt claustrophobic. I had an unfortunate experience because the dentist had an emergency and, unbelievably, left me on my own for 45 minutes.

You are supposed to be supervised. The teeth do ache because the extremely thin layer on their outside has been interfered with. It was more than an ache - more like pain and very bad.

Nevertheless, after two LONG days of this discomfort I was pleased that my teeth were indeed white.

I also complained to the manager and had £450 refunded. Would I have it again? Definitely NO.

redrose

·
Registered
394 Posts
I use inexpensive baking soda and a good whitening toothpaste twice a day. Rinse my mouth out after eating or drinking anything besides water. I'm not a believer in any spec. teeth whitening device

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A couple months back I got a kit because I'm a heavy coffee drinker. I still have over half of it left and it only cost me $30. It was a 35% carbamide peroxide gel with moldable trays (the trays were kind of a *&$# to make, not gonna lie). But I got results instantly with the surface stains.

It's true that some sensitivity can occur, but I've only heard about it during use of the product. If you have bad gums, gum recession, etc... you may have increased sensitivity for a day or two, but should go away if you discontinue use.

I don't think anyone is legally allowed to sell anything that's damaging to your enamel like that. haha At least I hope not! We'd have a bunch of teeth whitening junkies out there with semi-transparent teeth and that's just creepy. ;p
Hi,

Thanks for your answer THP Nate,

Where did you but this kit? Sounds good for that price

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can find the same deal if you go to eBay and type in "maximum teeth whitening". It should show you a kit for $30 which is the same thing I got.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I have a friend whom had the lazer thing done... And it really hurt her for almost 2 solid weeks.... She lost weight, and her house was really quiet.... apparently the air when she opened her mouth hurt her..ok her kids did get a break , but owch! I think I will stick to peroxide and baking soda. I do it twice a day and my teeth aren't so bad looking... till I open my mouth....then all you see is silver fillings! (petrified of thunder and lightning storms)

·
Registered
550 Posts
I know a simple remedy for this. But yea.. takes longer for ur teeth to get white. But it actually works!!

Just after you brush your teeth.. slather over some toothpaste all over your teeth and let it stay for a while.. for about 5 mins. Then rinse off. Regular practice would make teeth brighter and whiter.
I do that and leave it on while I'm in the shower. That way you do it everyday without forgetting and it works.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I do what Lexi suggested in a previous thread and found it works. After brushing my teeth I gargle hydrogen peroxide, in fact I even dip my toothbrush in some and give my teeth a quick brush...I don't know if thats a good idea though?? Then I gargle with Floride rinse. I've been doing this for about two weeks, twice daily and I can honestly say my teeth appear whiter. Cheap and cheerful
Thanks Lexi!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for everybody for your tips
I'll try all of them and see what works the best.. The laser whitening sounds a bit scary, really don't fancy anything painful!

Chears!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I heard that Baking Soda is good for teeth whitening. I have used the toothpaste and love it but I don't know about it directly. Can't hurt to try.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts