Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Okay so I have this skin. Best way I can describe it as "weak". It gets irritated easily. If I graze my leg on the table I'm left with a redmark or splotchyness. Not for weeks or months, I'm talking about for permanent.

I have acne as well. Same deal. Zits that stay for weeks and months at a time. I have red marks all over my face.

I've been to a doctor close to a year ago when I realized I had to do something. He said I was fine and said the marks would fade in a couple of months. I really felt that they wouldn't and here I am a year later, crap.

It's made me depressed and sheltered, I'm embarresed to talk to anyone and live my life on the internet and phone. I have no freaking clue what to do, the only thing that has made me feel better (I've recently discovered) is alcohol and this is the second week strait I've been drunk which has given me the courage to post this.

My life sucks, I used to love myself and love life. Now I don't and would have killed myself a long time ago if I was brave enough. Sorry to bring you into the dark side, but want to share how this is effecting me mentally too.

What should I do?

·
Registered
17 Posts
yes what products do you use? perhaps its something youre doing with your lifestyle like too much caffeine or Mcdonald (just kidding) but seriously maybe the products you are using arnt right for your skin.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys great, it makes me feel good that you care, though I think fawnie is a robot.

I'm 22 and been trying to live as healthy as possible. I eat healthy, avoid greasy foods shower (even tho might not look like it), work out. I've done everything in my mind that would think could help, it's puzzling!!

I have a stash of supplements I've stopped taking because I don't think it helps anymore. I try to focus on natural foods now that don't come in the bottle and avoid processed ones.

Crap man.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
What about products for your skin what do you use? What kind of soap, toner etc?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've used retinoids, mederma, moisturizers, scrubs, home remedies, acne medication.

Have had general soap, anti bacterial, and acne wash.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Just curious have you had your sugar level checked? You may want to consider it if your skin isn't healing quickly. Do you bruise easily?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Hi People Are Bs. Your post saddened me. It is a shame that, but for your skin issues, you would be living a happy life. Please do not drink. This forum is a friendly open supportive place. All you need is a computer & the internet to tap into support here.

I concur with those who suggest beginning from the inside. Before suggesting anything, I'd like to know a little more. Do you smoke? What kind of eating habits & sleep habits do you have? I too have sensitive skin (despite being brown) & I have to be careful. Are you extremely fair skinned? Are there others in your family in the same boat?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions but I'd hate to give you bad advice (I'd bet you've gotten plenty of that!). Do keep coming back.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I'm really sorry that you think I am a robot. I was just trying to get you to think about any causative factors in your problem. No need to be unkind here. We all try to help each other. You seem to be a very unhappy person, aside from your skin issues. Maybe a counselor could help or someone you trust.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would abosultely for 100% see a different dermatologist or doctor and possibly a therapist to deal with your issues stemming from low self esteem. What you described doesn't at all sound right. Come and vent here! We are here for you and to offer some help.

·
Registered
698 Posts
hi there, i just read you post...that is very sad you feel like that. have you spoken to your doctor for acne medication?

im not sure if it would work for you but ive had pretty bad acne in the past myself, and couldnt really get rid of it, I started using a product range called MD formulations and it really worked for me. Can't guarantee it would do the same for you but i guess it would be worth a shot.

i think many people feel insecure about their skin so please dont feel alone...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Your doctor told you it would go away in time. That was a YEAR ago. It is well past time for you to go back to the doctor or see another one. Seriously.

There is no way someone on the internet can diagnose what you may have and what treatment might help. I strongly urge you to make an appointment with a dermatologist this week for your skin problems. Putting it off has led to depression. It's time to get proactive in your own care.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do think I need to see a doctor. My problem is I don't think they care.

I have a crap health care plan - hmo. Most doctors want to be quick with you (get you in and out) and the process of switching isn't easy and maybe a limit. The last time I switched I had a wait a month.

But I'm inspired to try once more.

@goatlady Haven't gotten blood sugar checked but would want to. I do bruise easy and get brownish marks that stay sometimes.

@ondine No smoking (for now lol), I have regular eating and sleeping habbits and don't do anything out of the ordinary besides being alone a lot.

@fawnie Sorry for calling you a robot. I am unhappy. A counselor sounds like a great idea but wouldn't know who to call.

@SkinCareDiva I've been itching to vent about this for awhile now, thanks.

@justlooking I have gotten retin-a (retinoid) from my doctor. I told my derm it wasn't working and recommended a different brand haha.

@LLucy I agree. But it feels good to know someone is listening unlike doctors I've had in the past.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Try to get to a doc and have blood work done. It sounds like you may need it and it can't hurt. Find a supplement for Hair, Skin and nails it has everything you need and drink tons of water if you can. Also make sure your supplement has Biotin.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi People,

I do understand about Dr's not seeming to listen well. Maybe a nurse practitioner would be a better idea. He or she could take charge and steer you to the right ppl for your skin issues, overall health AND the moral support too.

It sounds like cystic acne, doesn't it. Some general Dr's don't realize how important skin clarity is to us. A good dermatologist does realize it goes more than "skin deep" and can totally empathize with someone who is suffering from any skin problem. They want to help! That's why they chose dermatology! Many of them were acne sufferers themselves.

I hope things start to fall into place for you. It is important when you don't feel good about yourself - it affects everything you do. Taking that first brave first step will help get things right for you. Keep trying and fight for it!

Skin | care | talk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts