Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All righty.

So I am a 17 year old male who has been trying desperately to get rid of his acne for the past two weeks, to little avail.

To start, I bought a Neutrogena Oil Wash Acne Cream and have been applying it at least twice a week for the past 10 days now. I bought a Vichy moisturizer to go along with it. I've slept on my back on fresh pillowcases, I haven't touched my face, I even got my hair cut incredibly short so it doesn't touch the sides of my face, where the majority of my acne appears. I don't eat chocolate nor chips and I've been staying away from greasy food. HOWEVER I do sweat a lot from dancing and running. Could this be it?

My acne is not severe; just red marks in certain areas of my face -- my left and right cheeks, my lower chin, etc. My shaving cream does not have Benzyl Peroxide nor does my shampoo/conditioner.

I need it gone, it's horrid. Please, can anyone help?

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Madfan- Welcome!

I am sorry to hear about your acne problem. When it comes to acne, I know first hand how frustrating it can be. I had it most of my life-until just recently.

First off, let me just tell you, with you being 17, it is probably just a phase that will hopefully pass in due time. I have a 17 year old son, who has acne from time to time. I will tell you what works for him. Washing with a salicylic acid wash is best for your acne. But don't over due it on washing. If you have to apply a lotion, make sure it is a oil free one. Do not exfoliate, and if you feel you need to, only do it every couple of days.

I know you said you sweat alot, from activities, body shop makes a great cleansing cloth with tea tree oil in it. I put those in my son's gym bag, as he plays basketball. During basketball season, is when his acne flares up the most. It is good to just wipe your face after you are done doing what ever it is that causes you to sweat.

Try not to touch your face too much and do not pick it. If you don't see any improvement, try getting into a dermatologist. There are a lot of topicals you can get from a derm to help you. BenzaClin, Differin, Clindamycin, etc work wonders on acne.

Best of luck to you-

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Manuka honey is effective against staph and strep on the skin without overdrying your skin. It's an anti-inflammatory as well as antibacterial so it relieves redness and swelling.

[quote from manukahoneyusa.com:]
"ACNE
Take a little Manuka Honey and place it on the skin affected with acne. Apply Manuka Honey twice daily. The honey helps drawing out impurities from the acne pimples. Manuka Honey draws moisture out of a wound (pimple), destroys bacteria at the wound site and enhances the growth of new cells closing the wound. Within 2-4 days the acne should be relieved and you should see a significant difference"

Once the honey dries it isn't sticky. You only need a little.

Agree with gymrat above that keeping the skin clean is very important.
Also, is it possible that your shampoo/conditioner is contributing to the problem? Maybe just a shampoo without any added conditioner would be better for you. Something without SLS - sodium laurel/laureth sulfate.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dont worry, if your acne is not severe it should lessen with age, please please dont pick (I know that is really hard when you see a white head appear), but it will only spread the infection under the skin and more spots will appear, picking will also give you large pores and scaring, which wont dissapear with age ( I know ive got them). Manuka honey is brill as a face mask and very gentle on the skin. Be careful when buying chemist face washes and creams for acne as alot of these creams have chemicals which will worsen your already sore areas, you are better off with a gentle ph balanced soap. Your doctor will be able to help, a short course of antibiotics will clear any infection, and presciption creams are often much better the over the counter remedys. Do you have alot of dairy in your diet ? go easy on the dairy products especially milk as that can worsen the problem, also drink loads of water, hope this helps.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Do you have alot of dairy in your diet ? go easy on the dairy products especially milk as that can worsen the problem, also drink loads of water, hope this helps.
Yes, bingley, I agree! Also meat that is full of hormones and antibiotics. Look for organic, grass-fed if you must.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
412 Posts
Have you tried an anti-acne astringent? I have Mario badescu skin care special cleansing Lotion c. I use it after i wash to disinfect. Its a little strong but it works. I'm a bad picker too so anything I can do to clean my skin and prevent more pimples is a plus. A little dry, flaky skin I can deal with. I also live on their Drying cream on areas I've squeezed and picked. Covers the zits pretty well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am going through a lot of what the OP described now, and seemed to have tried everything as well. I am contemplating trying Pro Activ, although not sure if this will help either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts