Skin Care Talk banner

THE Best Sunscreen/Sunblock Debate

323K views 1K replies 162 participants last post by  gymrat 
#1 ·
I have come across 2 of the strongest sunscreens avaliable. . I would like to know which one of these is better? and if there is a better one that can prevent darkening of the skin. Ussually these are rated in PPD (Pigment Darkening UVA blocker) than SPF.

1. ANTHELIOS XL SPF 60 MEXORYL

2. SHISEDO SPF 55 PA+++

what do you guys think? also anthelios is a chemical sunscreen and Shisedo is physical. . or does it not matter?

Thanks

#2 ·
Hey

I'm not familiar with either of the two, but I always recommend physical sun protection (ie. sunblock as opposed to sunscreen). Despite being used interchangeably, sunscreens often have toxic chemicals and wash off leaving one unprotected.

So, I vote for the sunblock.

#7 ·
ok question! which of the Anthelios( or chemical) sunscreen would help prevent tanning the most? all of this jargon is sooo confusing. i have the Anthelios sx spf 15 with mexoryl (avobenzone 2%, Ecamule 2%, Octocrylene 10%) i also have the Anthelios 60( avobenzone 3%, homosalate 15%, octicalate 5%, Octocrylene 5%, Oxybenzone 6%) i also have the Neutrogena healthy defense liquid moisterizer spf 50 with helioplex( 3% avobenzone, homosalate 4% octisalate 4% octocrylene 5%, oxbenzone 4%) thos ingredients all seem very similary, except la roche-posay charged me 3x as much

#8 ·
Loe purple praire botanicals doesnt leave a white cast and it has lots of zinc for uva and uvb protection. Its a great price per ounce to in my opinion. Im just so happy I found something that doesnt leave a white cast on my skin while Im lightening.

oh and Im a medium (dark in some areas) brown complexion so this is very impressive to find something non whitening.

#14 ·
#11 ·
Many of us put on sunscreen to avoid the harmful effects of the sun, with the biggest concern being skin cancer. Skin cancer has become more prevalent in the last decade or so and more cases are being caught early enough so that the cancer can be removed without further problems. You may ask what is the difference between "sun block" and "sunscreen". Sun block is more of a marketing term given to sunscreen, although no sunscreen is able to completely protect your skin from those harmful rays of the sun. Even the highest levels of SPF sun protection factor) will still let some of the harmful rays through. As for SPF, many consumers are confused as to how much better SPF 30 is than say SPF 15. Is it double the protection No, an SPF 15 will block 93% of UVB rays, while SPF 30 blocks just 4% more Anything higher than a SPF 30 rating does not give you any better protection from UV rays. Ultimately, you need a sunscreen or sun block that blocks out the vast majority of UVB as well as UVA rays. Thanks for sharing with us.

#12 ·
new sunscreen

Hi has anyone tried a zinc sunscreen by aubrey iorganics it comes in a Orange tube an it is like an oatmeal color an smells great. This screen is the only i have tried that doesn't leave a whie caste on my skin. I will post more info on it.

I found it on sale at a local health food store near me.

I was wondering if a sunsceen contains zinc how much zinc is needed for uva an uvb protection?

#16 ·
Well now, under new FDA regulations, all former sunscreens and "sunblocks" must be label as sunscreens because the term "sunblock" can mislead to mean ALL ways are block when that's not the case. I'm not sure why Neutrogena had its sunscreen as sunblock when it doesn't have physical particles, though.

#18 ·
I started out using Banana Boat mostly because I'm a broke college guy but then I noticed I'd still get darker and my body products wouldn't really work as effectively, then I switched to Neutrogena SPF 100 but the white residue always made people ask questions (Not that I gave a F) but it got pretty annoying. I'm switching over to Ombrelle they have a whole line of Sunscreen and Sunblock's for your face, body and lips. There products are for people who can't really tolerate the sun, and are outside for long periods of time. from my experience Neutrogena seems to be good at sunblock and sunscreen, but If you know of anything else that works better please let me know.

Some facts for those of you lightening or really not trying to get dark.Common Myths:

You don't need sunscreen or sunblock if its cold or cloudy.
That's a lie up to 40% of the sun's ultraviolet radiation reaches the earth on a cloudy day.

Wearing Sunscreen can cause Vitamin D deficiency.
That's a lie there is no actual scientific test that proves that, not to mention you can get vitamin from food such as salmon and Milk.

Other Facts: UVB is the cause of sun burn, UVA penetrates deeper causing wrinkling, sagging, aging
SPF 15 keeps out 93% of all incoming UVB, SPF30 97%, SPF 50 keeps out 98%
Should put on and keep it on for 30min before being exposed to the sun ( I don't have time like that) should reapply it every 2 hours.

#35 ·
You sure we are talking about the same product?? This is the Nivea Sun invisible protection SPF 50 ingredient list- Alcohol Denat., C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Homosalate, Octocrylene, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Butylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Dibutyl Adipate, Glycerin, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Polysilicone-15, Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Aqua, Limonene, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Acetate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Eugenol, Citronellol, Coumarin, Geraniol, Benzyl Alcohol, Parfum. Kordaine, don't trust this SS to protect you from nothing!! Especially, that Sac sun :sunshine: I was in Roseville over the weekend ;)

#38 ·
Ok good!! ......yep, you and me both on the Burnout :five: Although if you want a decent OTC sunscreen with a great amount of zinc, CeraVe has one, that works well. Can be on the greasy side, but apply less and it helps. Definitely worth having since it is over the counter. You can find it at CVS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.