Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes---ladies and gentleman, those who have listened to me whine for the last 6 months or so, you know I believe Loren Pickart is a snake-oil salesman and that his copper peptides severely aged my skin (and I do believe this and Dr. Todorov has even given credence to the theory!). WELL nonetheless, the small fortune I spent ruining and aging my once nice skin did not go to total waste, I found a use for his super cop serum.

I have been on a skin-rejuvenation trip for some months since realising that SkinBio was more or less a fraud of hit and miss science that was great for some but left many of us with worse skin than we started with. So I tried everything and am finally getting back to where I want to be, so much so I have just fallen in love with this site, skincare in general and the various aspects of skincare.

Now--for the actually studied and scientifically proven use of copper peptides let me introduce you to skin remodelling.

I have had a GIANT keloid scar on my upper right shoulder (you know where people usually have the smallpox vaccination). It is large, keloid and ugly. Nothing ever could be done about it. I have now decided to use TCA to deal with it. I used about 6 layers (yes excessive) of 30% TCA on this scar. The keloid was VERY dense and I did not peel it. When it finally peeled it did not look smaller (I was sad
So I started to apply, while it was raw still, Super Cop on it and leave it on there covered in gauze and a bandage. This I have been doing daily.

WELL--first the actual lesion is weeping. Daily it is weeping wet and serum filled fluid which is certainly a sign of some deeper penetration and immune reaction. My body has seemingly recognised this keloid as a foreign body and it is now more or less being squeezed out. You can see a border around it and daily it gets smaller and the area is red but normal around it as it fills in. I would say I am now down to about 1/3 the size it was to start with. The last two days have seen a halving of the keloid so this means the progress is going faster.

SO---now I have found a use for that super cop. I will keep you all updated on the final healing and result. I am hoping the skin will continue to fill in as it has been as it looks rather "normal" and like once the redness goes away the skin will not be scar but just normal skin, but I am sure some area of scar will remain, just not the large keloid I had!!!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
You're right Lexi, copper peptides were meant to remodel greatly damaged skin. What got me into trouble with them, and I suspect you too, is that my skin was fine to begin with....I just was obsessed with making it better. I chose the wrong product for that!! It ruined my skin for quite a while also.

Glad you are getting some use out of it for your scar! Excellent!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right Lexi, copper peptides were meant to remodel greatly damaged skin. What got me into trouble with them, and I suspect you too, is that my skin was fine to begin with....I just was obsessed with making it better. I chose the wrong product for that!! It ruined my skin for quite a while also.

Glad you are getting some use out of it for your scar! Excellent!
I have corresponded with Dr. Todorov actually and presented my theory which he agree is plausible. You are like me, I was looking for that MAGIC bullet to freeze time. Believe it or not, even as a tanorexic, a year before I started using CP's I was always mistaken for my teens, my friends would comment that it was amazing I could "bake" in the sun and have such amazing skin etc. Then I decided to try and maintain the youth by excessive exfoliation and OF COURSE the least known but most extensively written website, copper peptides. I trusted a man who has no MD whose entire theory is based on skin aging being akin to damaged skin. In reality, some of us, even sun and all, have skin that withstands this but add something like copper which is KNOWN to change collagenesis, and boom.

I know we have pm'ed on this Fawnie so I do not want to speak out of turn but to say from MY point of view, as I see my skin (even the decolletage damage) I realise beyond any doubt that the skin I had just a month prior to CP treatment was extremely different skin. I had dark but undamaged skin, tanned but very healthy skin (which for my racial mix is not unusual). The CPS did damage my skin and if you have any question as to whether or not some of it "was happening" or would have happened, I doubt it. I think almost all my skin damage is down to CP's, perhaps 15 years in the future I may have been at this point, but not now. I am glad there are some things working to remedy it, maybe it was a blessing in disguise in that it woke me up to the reality of aging, but it definitely left serious damage in its path and I vow if there is one woman or man I can save from that fate I am happy.

As for the new-found use, well it is also an old use as it is the original and only scientific use. I also used it on my baby dog when he had lost two toes to help promote granulation (and it did wonders and even the vet was well-impressed). Lesson I have learned, use things as they are proven to work, not based on one person's theory. If the entire beauty industry has not embraced Loren Pickard's theories and CP's who the HE** am I that I think I found the one pot of gold online?? (Well I did find Xtendlife on the other hand!).

·
Registered
909 Posts
Lexi, that is very interesting reading about your scar. About 3 months ago, I bought the scar kit from Skin Biology to treat what I thought was a scar on my chin. It was a rather big whitish round piece of skin, which I assumed was scar tissue from old acne.

I have been using the copper peptides on my chin - no change - so I consulted with a cosmetic surgeon who 'shaved' it off two days ago. He hadn't seen anything like it and the skin has been sent off for a biopsy, even though he said he would be amazed if it proved to be a problem. My theory is that the white skin was an over production of collagen in the healing stages of the acne I had there.

I had had IPL and Starlux Laser treatment in the past on this spot, with no effect whatsoever.

Anyway, when the dressing comes off and the skin has healed, I thought I would start applying the copper peptides again. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lexi, that is very interesting reading about your scar. About 3 months ago, I bought the scar kit from Skin Biology to treat what I thought was a scar on my chin. It was a rather big whitish round piece of skin, which I assumed was scar tissue from old acne.

I have been using the copper peptides on my chin - no change - so I consulted with a cosmetic surgeon who 'shaved' it off two days ago. He hadn't seen anything like it and the skin has been sent off for a biopsy, even though he said he would be amazed if it proved to be a problem. My theory is that the white skin was an over production of collagen in the healing stages of the acne I had there.

I had had IPL and Starlux Laser treatment in the past on this spot, with no effect whatsoever.

Anyway, when the dressing comes off and the skin has healed, I thought I would start applying the copper peptides again. What do you think?
If you tend to keloid and you can "break" the scar yes. Let me explain why. I used TCA on this scar, it was a keloid, and lots of it. I wore it down and it was bloody and peeled and nasty. THEN I started to apply Super Cop and it has shrunk the scar daily, in fact I just looked and it is now a sliver left and I think a few more days it is gone! It has worked amazingly. I would, on the other hand, NEVER use CP's on normal healthy skin.

I would see how the scar looks when you take off the bandage and if the scar is not yet "healed" I would put a bit of CP Serum on it (something deep enough to need sutures likely would get irritated by SuperCop and as a doctor did your removal I would wait and see whether it scars poorly whereas my scar was nasty and needed to be worn down and irritated--I had less to lose in other words).

I do think CP's work great for true skin remodelling, or at least they are in my case.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Thanks for that Lexi. I think it is absolutely amazing what you have achieved with your scar. I had read a lot about the copper peptides before I started to use them, and I would not use them as an anti-ageing product.

I am thinking of using the product again only to keep over-stimulation of collagen at bay. I will see how the area looks and make a decision when it has healed. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that Lexi. I think it is absolutely amazing what you have achieved with your scar. I had read a lot about the copper peptides before I started to use them, and I would not use them as an anti-ageing product.

I am thinking of using the product again only to keep over-stimulation of collagen at bay. I will see how the area looks and make a decision when it has healed. I will keep you posted.
Definitely do so! It would not hurt on a closed red scar that is healing. Just do not irritate a closed scar if it is not so bad, only do that if it is like mine!

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
MEH!! Now I am scared. I have been using this stuff for about 2 - 3 weeks and like both of you I have good skin that I just want to perfect. I have noticed a few tiny crepy lines since but generally i think it is too soon to tell. But I am using such miniscule amounts at the moment precisely because of reading a few posts of adverse affects like yours Lexi.

So now I am not sure what to do!! If you dont mind my asking how did you both use it ie frequency and which products etc. Just so i can see if the same might happen to me.

I would really appreciate the info, thank you. Maybe I should just stick with the TCA peel!

Also I was going to post about Xtend life too. Is it working well for you?

Thanks!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Doll, if you have great skin STAY FAR AWAY FROM COPPER PEPTIDES!!
They are for REMODELING the skin, not tweaking it a little.
I got myself into big trouble, as did Lexi and others here, by using it indiscriminately. It's like using a shotgun instead of a flyswatter.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Doll, if you have great skin STAY FAR AWAY FROM COPPER PEPTIDES!!
They are for REMODELING the skin, not tweaking it a little.
I got myself into big trouble, as did Lexi and others here, by using it indiscriminately. It's like using a shotgun instead of a flyswatter.
Thanks for the advice. I don't want to do anything to destroy it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
SKIN SIGNALS COPPER PEPTIDES- My skin is Not Perfect, but needs some help for sure. I did start the CP's 1 week ago. NOW, only one week later my skin is awful! I see many more lines, and is it my imagination? But, my face is Sagging a bit more....It is subtle, but even my husband noticed it.. I look more tired and just dull as well.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
how much are you using? its only meant to be diluted and used maybe 3x a week until you get used to it. but i do supsect it is made for really damaged skins rather than topping up or prefecting young / good skin.

i started using it on the weakest strength possible and then i diluted it with water and used a weeny amount. luckily nothing damaged my skin but i am scared to use it now. so i have stopped.

take a break from it and just moisturise with a really good moisturiser and or oil. i use emu oil most of the time applied wet then sealed in with eucerin or aveeno.

hopefully your skin will get back to normal soon. CPs are very very strong and need to be treated with caution. if this works, then test patch it for a months or so until you can see something happening, then reintroduce it to the face maybe twice a week for a month then build up that way.

failing that discard and try the huge number of options on this forum.

good luck.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
SKIN SIGNALS COPPER PEPTIDES- My skin is Not Perfect, but needs some help for sure. I did start the CP's 1 week ago. NOW, only one week later my skin is awful! I see many more lines, and is it my imagination? But, my face is Sagging a bit more....It is subtle, but even my husband noticed it.. I look more tired and just dull as well.
You are going thru "the uglies". CPs remodel the skin by breaking apart the bonds of the skin. Really I think they are only for very damaged skin, as goat says. I'd cut my losses and quit while I was somewhat ahead. It took me the better part of a year to undo the damage done by CPs.

Here's a discussion of undoing the damage:
View topic - Reversing copper peptide damage - Smart Skin Care

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have thrown out Skin Signals due to the smell I can't stand, no way I would put on my face and also the product oxidized rapidly once open, you should not use it when it turned green. I use Super Cop 2x as it doesn't have unpleasant smell and kept the product in the fridge.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Uggghhh!! my post just.. Poof! Went away... Thank You Angel hair, Fawnie, and mytwocents.. I actually did just buy some emu oil, even though the person I bought the Skin Signals from, discouraged me to. My skin is damaged from being raised in AZ, and sagging so much these days-just looks dropped from the side specifically- jowls, mouth, nasiolabal area and forehead.. It is old and worn out. I am wondering if this is indeed more for very, very deep wrinkles and very mottled skin too..

Fawnie: I am tempted to stop altogether and return it as well. Here's the kicker; I don't want to hurt the feelings of who I bought it from! She is so very ice and extremely helpful..I trust her. But- a Big But..I am very worried about this. I also ordered a few other products, and Im not all that happy with them either. You'd thnk once I hit my 40's, my attitude would change about hurt feelings..afterall, it is $$$..

mytwocents: Exactly my thoughts! This is the worst smell, and I've been near some awful bodily smells - nursing years ago. It smells like fish and every other possible gut wrenching smell mixed in.

Thanks for the advice..I really wanted to give it a go, but at what cost?.. Suz

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
im afraid youre just going to have to be selfish. its not about hurting peoples feelings really and i am sure you can always make up some excuse to say why youre not using them. ie irritation or some adverse reaction. its so not worth damaging your skin and self esteem over.

if you feel that strongly then hold off on them and reintroduce them gradually as suggested before but on a part of your body that you dont mind experimenting on! thats what i will do if i decide to try them again.

but whatever you do good luck and i am sure you will have lots of support here.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts