Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it real that expensive skin products are the more effective?If not so, please give ways to determine what skin care product will suit a person.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Is it real that expensive skin products are the more effective?If not so, please give ways to determine what skin care product will suit a person.
You try it out! Every skin will react differently to products -- you never know unless you try the product to see if it is beneficial for you and it does what you want it to do.

Very expensive products usually have expensive ingredients in them -- the same as expensive perfums will have scarce oil in comparison to cheaper fragrances. This doesn't mean that less expensive cosmetics will not be beneficial for you -- Oil of Olay scored #1 in a Consumer's Report survey -- maybe it was because there were more respondents who could afford that product -- or generally women liked the product more than anything else they tried.

Ask a cosmetician what you can expect from a product you are interested in. If you want to buy the produce ask about returns -- you can have a reaction to an expensive cream the same as you might to a more inexpensive one.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Hardly. I pay $5 and change (including shipping) for a tube of retin-a which is at the very top of the skin care foodchain.

·
Registered
67 Posts
well i would really suggest getting samples...delizioso skincare, and lush and the body shop and cucina give samples...thats all i know of for now....lol, well yes skin does react differently to everything...

·
Registered
24 Posts
You try it out! Every skin will react differently to products -- you never know unless you try the product to see if it is beneficial for you and it does what you want it to do.
I agree...the only way to know is to try it. However, you should know this. If you are switching to a new product, your skin may be prone to a mild reaction at first anyway...the only way to know how a product really works on your skin is to try it for over 2 weeks. This only applies, however, to very slight-to-mild breakouts that fall under the "blemish" category. Rashes are definitely a reason to stop using a product, no matter how long you've been using the product. If your reaction seems "allergic" stop right away.

Here is the thing: There are lots of reasons why products are expensive. The main one, honestly, has little to do with the cost of the ingredients, and more to do with overhead. As a company grows, has more employees, pays more for advertising, their costs automatically have to go up so that their profit margin can at least stay the same (but preferably grow). More expensive ingredients do not exactly lighten that load, but don't let the cost fool you into thinking that it MUST be better. Everyone's skin is different, for one, but also not all price tags are created equal.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If you look up some products such as L'Oreal you will see that they are part of a hugh company that owns several big name and expensive cosmetics -- one being Lacombe. I wonder because this company buys in bulk if their cheaper line is better than comparables -- if there is a likelihood of them using a smaller portion of the higher priced ingredients in their lower priced cosmetics. ???

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I believe that is true, Mari - A fancier bottle, ad campaign, & fragrance, but same ingredients?

Say, how are the new jobs going for you? Anything interesting to share?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I believe that is true, Mari - A fancier bottle, ad campaign, & fragrance, but same ingredients?

Say, how are the new jobs going for you? Anything interesting to share?
I sold my staging business -- market and location didn't provide the cash to work flow. I am on standby in case there is a flurry of activity and I still provide some consultations for realtors.

I'm doing some graphic work for a friend -- which I think is fun.

I am doing free-lance landscape design -- which is frustrating because I can't find reliable staff when needed.

I paint portraits -- but mainly for friends so this isn't a big money maker.

I have two drafts of books to finish, one a children's book and another a thriller.

And most of all I keep a towel on my shoulder for people to cry on.

I also try to keep an even keel on the battling relatives. Am I crazy or what?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Mari
Sounds like you are leading quite the life!....whether or not you make any money, you've always got something interesting to do! Nothing wrong with that!
Any plans for the hula hoop this summer when the outlaws....er I mean inlaws....come for a visit??! Wouldn't they just be speechless now?
Are you something of a free spirit in your quaint little village?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Mari
Sounds like you are leading quite the life!....whether or not you make any money, you've always got something interesting to do! Nothing wrong with that!
Any plans for the hula hoop this summer when the outlaws....er I mean inlaws....come for a visit??! Wouldn't they just be speechless now?
Are you something of a free spirit in your quaint little village?
I was a late bloomer after I got out of convent schools (although I was a rebel there too).

But yes, after I quit working and moved unwillingly to "the villiage" I had to invent a life -- and started doing things I liked to do for fun and some ideas blossomed.

My in-laws are overseas -- but you never know when they will show up. At work I once said, in desperation because the "laws" were coming -- "DH and I are having relations again this summer". Without missing a beat my boss said "I'm so glad for the both of you."

After 6 years in the village people still think I'm odd -- but that's reciprocal. Can't wait to move!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Mari, Funny story about your boss! LOL.

Yes, my friends all like to point out that I am the strangest person they know, but I consider them very bland and corporate anyway. Only my dear sister and my cousins are as bizarre and fun as I. And probably many of you! heheh

Skin | care | talk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts