Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to think that my nose invented what it means to have clogged pores.

I've visited at least twenty or so advising sites, but what always stumps my journey to clear skin is that those sites all assume I suffer from acne along with my clogged pores, which I do not. Maybe a few now and then on the cheeks, a pimple or two on the forehead during PMS, but generally I'm clear.

It's just my nose. I do not exaggerate when I say -every- pore on my nose is clogged, in fact my T zone can't make enough oil to satisfy itself, it's begun spreading until the cheek area nearest to my nose has become speckled with clogged pores, and the area between my eyebrows has lovely little clogged bumps as well. -Every- pore. I turn my face side to side, and you can see every disgusting raised bump in my profile, it's driving me insane to the point where I want to take a needle and gouge every last bit out.

The clogged pores, I do not know if they resemble other clogged pores which mention blackheads, but it literally just looks like oil that has solidified into a yellowish small mound over each pore.

I have tried Biore Ultra Pore Strips, but they only ever get roughly 15% of them, which isn't exactly helpful as the other thousand overpower the impression made by the small patch of clear skin. On that note, the bits that are pulled out by the strips are pointed, semi-translucent and yellow, supporting my assumption it's just oil with maybe some skin. Also, the pores that -are- separated from their living-at-home oil bits, instantly shrink into nothing, just smooth skin, which means I do not have large pores. I just have pores enlarged by oil clogs.

I have used Biore's Exfolliating scrub, alongside the Strips, two times a day for over two weeks. The scrub just smooths the surface of my skin, so that it's soft to run my fingers over (no feeling the oily/grainy texture of every clog bump) but ultimately does not clean the actual pore, or prevent the oils cleaned by my Strip, from refilling. Also tried Neutrogena's something-something as well, and frankly I now think all the "gets deep down in to pores to remove oil" stuff is complete crap.

I have used a blackhead remover, wasn't too sure if that was correct since again, the tips of my clogged pores aren't actually black....and while it was nice in the sense that I could squeeze every pore for all its yellowish cream until the pore shrunk back down to nothing, this only worked along the rubbery tip of my nose. My cheek skin was too soft and giving for me to press, and the skin higher on my nose was too close to the skin. I also did not see how squeezing it with a blackhead remover (metal loop thing) was better than squeezing with my fingers, so I discontinued it for fear of damaging my nose.

I do not eat take out often, less than once a month. I do not exercise often either, but I have a rapid metabolism, and I always eat a healthy combination of meats and vegetables cooked in corn oil, never fried. I drink plenty of milk and water, and generally I feel I am nutritionally (probably not physically) healthier than other 18 year olds. Yet I wake up every morning to find my nose bathing in oil, and I have to periodically wipe it during the day because it keeps producing more.

In short----please help me! I know -noone- who has as badly clogged pores as mine, and while my self-esteem is not crippled by them, I loathe mornings, mirrors, and yea, I confess, getting my face close to anyone in case the empire of oil upon my nose scares the hell out of them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
First off, you don't want to use an exfoliating scrub twice a day, that's too much and it won't do much for the blackheads.
Also, you never want to squeeze the blackheads with your fingers, tweezers, whatever.

Are you using a good moisturizer? You need to moisturize even if you have oily skin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
you should be exfoliating at least 2 to three times a week, using a foaming cleanser, and an oil free moisturizer. when you get out of a hot shower, you can try to use q-tips to roll some of them out. you need to see a professional though. find out locally who is a good esthetician.

·
Registered
2 Posts
your nose sounds like mine - to the letter! the only thing that has ever worked for me is Jojoba Oil. 100% Jojoba Oil, not a blend.

Wash your face, lightly rubbing with a very soapy facecloth every morning and night (any mild soap will do) and then rub the oil over your nose and around the sides in little swirling motions for about 20 minutes. Literally 20 minutes. But, only once a day, preferably at night.

The jojoba is very close chemically (ph balance) to the sebum being produced by your skin (the thick yellow gook in our nose pores) and so it tells the skin to not produce so much because some is already there (its tricky like that). Now, jojoba will extract from the very bottom of your pore ducts, so expect a few whiteheads in the beginning, but once you begin to use it daily you will not have this problem.

You can mix lavendar essential oil or tea tree if you want some antiseptic or aromatherapy properties, but alone the jojoba is fine. Trust me, this works.

After you are done rubbing it around your nose, gently wipe away the excess oil and pore gunk with a facecloth (not soapy) and use some witch hazel to calm down the area. You can skip the witch hazel, and use your fav toner, but nothing too harsh, otherwise your nose will go into an oil producing mode again.

Wash Face with soapy facecloth.
Rub Jojoba Oil around nose, or entire face.
Wash away with no soap.
Tone with Witch Hazel or very mild toner. (no alcohol)

Good Luck!

drugstore.com sells a cheap one that works great.

Oh, and you wont need a seperate moisturizer, either! Yah!

·
Registered
3 Posts
you shouldn't exfoliates your skin at all... ok it might help removing deadskin cells but it can also enlarge the pores! exfoliating can also remove you skin moisture from your skin! maybe you should try using a mask instead! try french green clay powder and mix it with witch hazel!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Sharonleung are you saying no one should exfoliate or just if you have clogged pores? Everyone should must mild exfoliante I think as removes dead skin cells, no?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my nose. I always thought that my problem was hereditary because my father has large pores all on and around his nose and so do I.
I also have sensitive skin, no acne though and I rarely have breakouts, just maybe a tiny zit here and there, not something that i think requires harsh acne treatments, but I have used them anyway in hopes of trying to get rid of the raised bumps/blackheads/whiteheads on my nose. I use a cream cleanser from neutrogena for combinaion skin, and a handheld exfoliating pad EVERY TIME I SHOWER. I know it cant be good but i just dont want to deal with the bumps on my face every day ,and sometimes ill get my face really hot and use a mint julip mask and that will get almost all of them gone for a week or so and then they come back.
so sometimes ill get a facial and the lady will have a hell of a time trying to do "extractions" where she will try to squeeze the crud out of every pore and my nose becomes soooo swollen. its painful.
i want to go to a dematologist but im afraid it will cost to much and im a single waitress, so its not an option for me at this point.
I guess i will go out and try to oil rubbing in the nose but i have sensitive skin and wont the oil just clog my pores???
and those biore strips? HA! they dont work AT ALL!!! not for me anyway.
my boyfriend pointed them out when we first got together. AKWARD!
Help!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sharonleung are you saying no one should exfoliate or just if you have clogged pores? Everyone should must mild exfoliante I think as removes dead skin cells, no?
Any recommendations of mild exfoliante NY? I have sensitive skins.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Almond and Honey or Kiwi Scrub by Mario Badescu! my favorite. Not scratchy so I can use them even when I've picked. (Shame shame on me). I also like Clinique or Avon Clearskin when my skin is in better, less irritated condition. Those are menthol-y and cool and have way more grains. Also they have anti-acne ingredients.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Mushi - if you start using a vitamin C serum every day you may find that you don't need one. The vitamin C is an acid (ascorbic acid) and has an exfoliant effect in addition to the anti-aging benefits. So wait to see how the vitamin C does for you before you spend any money on a special exfoliating product.

I was thinking about buying one myself and am glad that I waited since the vitamin C is enough for me, at least for now.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Which Vitamin C product did you try? I'm always on the lookout for something great. I use Mario Badescu's Vit C serum and I love it mainly because it smells so good and goes on like silk. I use it more to reduce the old acne scars and for the deep creases, not for blackheads. Nice to know it has multi-purpose then. I use Idealist from Estee Lauder too but that just makes my make up go on nice, not like its doing anything for the clogging, really.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Which Vitamin C product did you try? I'm always on the lookout for something great.
Hi SCD - It's a homemade serum. Alot of us here have been making our own, so there's discussion about it in various threads on this board.

The most recent postings can be found in the Anti-aging section under the "Hydrating Serums" thread, esp. #103-106. If you read through the site you will find other variations of it, but this is one that is easy to start with. I like it so much that I also made a body spray - see the "Baby Quasar" thread, posts #185, 200. (I have trouble doing links within the site, sorry!).

·
Registered
958 Posts
The only thing I know that clears seriously clogged pores is a salicylic/lactic acid peel. It might sound severe, but quickly becomes a weekly rutine that takes anything from one to ten minutes. I can guarantee a drastic improvement after two to three weeks, and it doesn't have to cost much at all. In combination with the pore strips things should really clean up 100%. You can also try a gel with a low % of salicylic acid ca 2-4% that goes under your regular moisturizer every other day or so for a period. If you like jojoba oil or rose-hip oil you can try this or any moisturizer you like. It is important to keep skin soft and moisturized all the time. It is the salicylic acid that dissolves hardened sebum in the pores, and is really the only thing for home use that does this effectivly. It makes products like pore strips and the light oils (rose-hip seed and jojoba) work better. I feel I have tried all available options, and this is some thing that really works to clean the must stubborn clogged pores.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm very healthy and have clear skin, but have enlarged pores on my nose with that hard yellowy sebum. A friend who's an esthetician said I should have started with professional deep pore cleaning as a teenager. Well, my teenage babysitting money wouldn't stretch that far, and who knew then, anyway. BUT I've been using the Clarisonic skin brush for a few months and it's been terrific. My skin overall is substantially smoother. BUT, I still have slightly enlarged pores on my nose. I'm going to try the JOJOBA OIL and MIX it with BC HEADACHE POWDER, which contains salicylic acid and caffeine. I'll report back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's wrong with simply squeezing them out? I've done it for years, just after I get out of the shower (when they are soft and come out easily). I went in for a facial a few years ago (given as a gift), and the gal told me that there really wasn't much to do on me. I do it daily, and they come out soft and easily. I think my problems have worsened when using exfoliators, and that's because common sense says that if the pore is clean and empty (like mine are kept) there is a hole there to fill up with anything that is smoothed over the hole. I try to apply my makeup very lightly on my nose, and after applying, take a q-tip and run it along my side nose-lines to remove most of it (where it won't really show if the make up is really light). I also don't apply moisturizer to that area.

Does anyone else think that exfoliators are simply more clogging?

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
for clogged pores use a salicylic acid product probably in concentration of 2 to 5% with a pH of 1.9 for 2 to three weeks in addition to Retin-A at night and you will recover. Here is the link to one salicylic acid source with the right pH - Untitled Document

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 73 Posts