Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Is this theory held by many in the skin field? I've actually never heard about it.
I mean I would not use any AHA along with my Tretinoin as it would not make any sense to me. I had no idea they might diminish the effectiveness of each other.
Although my nightly cleanser "Neutrogena Deep Cleanser," has salicyclic acid in it. I guess I need to use this in the morning and a different one at night.
Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
There are a ton of theories---what is right????I give up to be honest. I used AHA in the am and retin-a pm as described but have read many articles that say the exfoliation is enhanced by using both together because the tretinoin increases turnover and the aha breaks up the glue causing the skin to "unglue" faster and come off allowing deeper exfoliation when used in unison.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
There are a ton of theories---what is right????I give up to be honest. I used AHA in the am and retin-a pm as described but have read many articles that say the exfoliation is enhanced by using both together because the tretinoin increases turnover and the aha breaks up the glue causing the skin to "unglue" faster and come off allowing deeper exfoliation when used in unison.
Aint that the truth.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found lots of info about using AHA and tretinoin, but it's not clear if they are truly combined at the same time or used separately. For instance:

Combined tretinoin and glycolic acid treatment imp...[Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2006 May-Jun] - PubMed Result

A review of skin ageing and its medical therapy. [Br J Dermatol. 1996] - PubMed Result

And in combination with retinaldehyde, but not tretinoin:

Interest of the association retinaldehyde/glycolic...[J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2009] - PubMed Result

I know Obagi uses the combination of tretinoin and glycolic acid, but they are not used at the same time, the last I knew. It seems like they would be too irritating to be used together at the same time!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I'll probably keep using the Neutrogena cleanser at night since I wait around an hour after to apply the tretinoin. It really takes the gunk off my face.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
In unison they work wonders - at the same time will just make you more sun senstive. As said above using both gives you two forms of exfoliation - one is building and the other is sweeping away debris and helping with the smooth sun kissed glow. Just use Idealist every day - its a non-acid mild exfoliator - smells fresh and is packed with silicone to mask any imperfections and its mulberry and whatever extract for brown marks and freckles works like a bomb. No stinging or nuffing either - its just revolting packaging - but u can hide it away from plain site if the gold cap is to offenive.
xxx

·
Registered
294 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd keep it going .... I purchased Anew Ultimate night gold emulsion as a night cream but it contains some aha .. should I or shouldn't I use it ?
Ingredients
WATER/EAU
GLYCERIN
CYCLOPENTASILOXANE
PROPYLENE GLYCOL
GLYCOLIC ACID
THIODIPROPIONIC ACID
TRIOXAUNDECANEDIOIC ACID
ETHYLHEXYL SALICYLATE
SACCHAROMYCES/GOLD FERMENT
SACCHAROMYCES/COPPER FERMENT
SACCHAROMYCES/MAGNESIUM FERMENT
ECLIPTA PROSTRATA EXTRACT
PALMITOYL OLIGOPEPTIDE
PALMITOYL LYSYL AMINOVALEROYL LYSINE
PALMITOYL TETRAPEPTIDE-10
PALMITOYL TETRAPEPTIDE-7
HEPTAPEPTIDE-6
HUMULUS JAPONICUS FLOWER/LEAF/STEM EXTRACT
PHYTOL
BUTYLENE GLYCOL
DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER
PEG/PPG-18/18 DIMETHICONE
POLYSORBATE 20
STEARETH-20
CARBOMER
PHENOXYETHANOL
DISODIUM EDTA
PARFUM/FRAGRANCE
AMMONIUM HYDROXIDE
SYNTHETIC FLUORPHLOGOPITE
TITANIUM DIOXIDE/CI 77891
MICA/CI 77019
IRON OXIDES

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Does anyone know if we can use retinol and BHA (salicylic acid) together?

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Does anyone know if we can use retinol and BHA (salicylic acid) together?
Well............this looks like a GREAT question to ask Dr Shultz-

Actually I wouldn't- I treat my retinol products, like I would my RA. For me, I think it would be too harsh. You could use Salicylic in the AM and Retinol in the PM though-
well that is what I would do anyways.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Well............this looks like a GREAT question to ask Dr Shultz-
I have a feeling I know what the answer would be

Btw. meant to say in the same day, for example BHA in the morning and retinol at night.....and also vit C in that same day?

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
I have a feeling I know what the answer would be

Btw. meant to say in the same day, for example BHA in the morning and retinol at night.....and also vit C in that same day?
well my derm would say yes, you can use salicylic say as a wash in the AM followed by Vit C serum then your retinol in the PM.

What type of salicylic product are you talking about though Beauty?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts