Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference in getting 1, 2 or 5000mg Vitamin C powder from the health food store opposed to getting the L-Ascorbic Acid from lotioncrafter.com? Should it say specifically for cosmetics or have a certain something that I should look for when choosing one to make a Serum?
Thanks and much appreciation for the HELP

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have been using NOW Ascorbic Acid and find that is dissolves ok. I think, someone might have to chime in, it must be pure Ascorbic Acid. I don't see anything about how many mg on my bottle. Here is what I get at my local store. The ascorbic acid from lotioncrafters has been reccommended because it dissolves really easily. I haven't had any trouble with the now stuff though.

Buy NOW Foods Ascorbic Acid Powder-3 Pounds Powder at WebVitamins.com

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The lotioncrafter C is great stuff. The extra fine powder dissolves better than most others. The one by "Now" above is a trusted product. Make sure it is 100% either L-Ascorbic acid or Ascorbic acid. No fillers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Marissa,

Vitamin C stimulates the production of collagen which is essential for firm, supple skin.

However, Vitamin C [Ascorbic Acid] is unstable and is difficult to use in skin creams, although many brands claim to include it successfully.

I have in the past bought Vitamin C [ascorbic acid] from the chemist. I take half a teaspoon of ultra-fine vitamin C powder and dissolve it in 3 tablespoons of glycerine and rosewater mixture.

Pour a little into a small cup and gently apply to the face. You can store any over in a sealed dark container in the fridge.

Moisturiser may be used after the vitamin C lotion. This will last for a few days and can be used on hands and chest area.

I would not recommend a 500mg vitamin C strength because it could possibly damage your skin.

Incidentally, my latest research has turned up the fact that Vitamin C Ester is preferable to Ascorbic Acid because it's not acidic. It penetrates the skin faster and offers maximum protection against free radicals.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

redrose

1 - 6 of 6 Posts