Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My own research has thrown up a lot of information about Vitamin C. I wonder if any of you have any comments and preference about which is better - Ester C or Ascorbic Acid?

There are two definitive schools of thought relevant to the two types of Vitamin C ie: Vitamin C Ester and Vitamin C Ascorbic Acid.

The Ascorbic Acid brigade makes great claims for its benefits, while the followers of Vitamin C Ester sing its praises.

Both schools of thought critisize the other. Vitamin C is certainly essential for the production of collagen but while the debate continues, it can make you wonder which is the better form for topical application and inclusion in skin creams.

I would really welcome your views,

Warm regards,

redrose

·
Registered
353 Posts
I agree with Peri + fawnie.. L-Ascorbic Acid is pure vitamin C, and the king of the hill.. I'll go a step further, and also suggest you don't fall for the venues that tell you Ascorbic Acid + L-Ascorbic Acid are the same.. The are not.. The 'L' is all important and designates 'pure vitamin C', the other becomes synthetic when the L + D factors are removed..

Another great C derivative is Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate which is the oil soluble form, and is excellent if you want a anhydrous or oil based recipe.. In fact you can make a wonderful serum incorporating both, which is lovely as well as a bit more stable.. (10% L-AA, 7% THDA, 1% vitamin E, .5% FA.. Yummy stuff I tell ya!)

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Hi there,

My own research has thrown up a lot of information about Vitamin C. I wonder if any of you have any comments and preference about which is better - Ester C or Ascorbic Acid?

There are two definitive schools of thought relevant to the two types of Vitamin C ie: Vitamin C Ester and Vitamin C Ascorbic Acid.

The Ascorbic Acid brigade makes great claims for its benefits, while the followers of Vitamin C Ester sing its praises.

Both schools of thought critisize the other. Vitamin C is certainly essential for the production of collagen but while the debate continues, it can make you wonder which is the better form for topical application and inclusion in skin creams.

I would really welcome your views,

Warm regards,

redrose
Well, I take the C Ester orally, and Ascorbic Acid I use in my serums. Kind of like killing 2 birds with one stone sorta thing.

On a more serious note, I agree with Fawnie, Peri and Kassy, LAA is the only way to go. But I really do take the C Ester orally-

·
Registered
115 Posts
Another great C derivative is Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate which is the oil soluble form, and is excellent if you want a anhydrous or oil based recipe.. In fact you can make a wonderful serum incorporating both, which is lovely as well as a bit more stable.. (10% L-AA, 7% THDA, 1% vitamin E, .5% FA.. Yummy stuff I tell ya!)
Kassy, where to you buy the tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate?

Thanks.

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi there,

Thank you all for your comments on the two types of Vitamin C. Thanks to Fawnie for giving me a link to an interesting article which states the concentration of ascorbyl palmitite [Ester C] achievable in commercial skin-care formulas does not boost collagen synthesis.

However, this would not be a problem if you mix your own Vitamin C Ester into a base cream.

According to Dr Nicholas Perricone, when Vitamin C [Ascorbic Acid] comes into contact with iron [and complexions have lots of iron] it can harm the skin.

He regards Vitamin C Ester as superior to Ascorbic Acid and quotes studies by Proctor and Gamble which indicates that Vitamin C Ester rapidly penetrates the skin and leads to concentrations of Vitamin C greater than that of the concentration of ascorbic acid.

In addition, Dr Perricone refers to Ester C's stability and the fact that it can be mixed into creams and lotions. Its huge advantage is that it can keep its potency for months - even years and does not turn rancid.
In summation then, I'm going to buy Ester C Powder and mix it into my own cream in order to test his theory.
I will keep you all updated with my skin's progress.

Warm regards,

redrose

1 - 9 of 9 Posts