Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently heard about Thermage (a radio-frequency skin tightening treatment) as a treatment for acne. Has anyone on here tried it, and did it work? Also were there any side effects? I have tried microdermabrasion and chemical peels, which have almost entirely eliminated the red marks
But now I need to stop the breakouts and get rid of the pitted scars and I've heard Thermage is good for that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know if Thermage has any value for acne. But I can say that I went to a clinic that offers thermage amongst other treatments and, although I was clear that my main concern was acne scarring, they did not recommend thermage for this. Instead they recommended fraxel. (I had four fraxels. They did not make much of a difference to my acne scars. However, they did shrink my pores a bit, which helped reduce blackheads and generally improve my skin's health. I am now considering having a yearly fraxel if I have the spare money and time.)

What had a bigger difference, I think, was working out that my skin is highly sensitive to most products and that I have an allergy to soya. Soya derivatives are used in most products, which probably goes some way to explaining my sensitivity to them. For a while now I have been getting by without moisturiser by using pure squalane, mixed with a little water, instead. For sunscreen I use a little zinc powder mixed with water. This may sound radical to you but, if you want to experiment to find out if your skin is reacting to products, it might be worth spending a few weeks with a products-free routine like this, to see if there is any noticeable change. Working out that I was sensitive to certain foods (including any containing soya derivates, of course) also helped, of course. I appreciate that there are many reasons for bad skin so I do not mean to suggest that everyone's problem is allergies or sensitivities. But I have noticed that the professionals tend to push new drugs or therapies rather than recommending experimenting with identifying possible triggers, so thought it worth mentioning what worked for me.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Catherine what color is your skin? I'm trying to remember if my cosmetic surgeon said it was for only light skin or worked with all skin types.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Freddy, hi.

My skin is very pale, so sorry, I am afraid I cannot help you with information on this: I do not know if the nurse looking after me did not raise the subject because it is irrelevant for all skin types or just because it was irrelevant for my skin type.

C.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have not gotten thermage treatments, as far as I know, but I have gotten intense pulsed light treatments (IPL), and another treatment, which was a combination of two frequencies of light, I believe. Both were incredibly painful, cost thousands of dollars, and the first was completely ineffective. The second one, which may have been thermage in combination with something else, worked somewhat, but the pain was so intense that I couldn't stand more than one treatment, so I didn't get the full results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cat2248

Yes, I found thermage painful too. To the extent that at one point I involuntarily swore aloud: the nurse rightly interpreted this as, "Stop!". It only took about 20 minutes though. But yes, the pain is another factor to bear in mind.

Catherine2248

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry Freddie, I wrote you quite a long reply but the website lost it. I have to log off now. I'll try to reply properly if you have another question.

But the gist of my reply was that my acne is fine now and my scarring minimal. What has helped are the things I mention in other posts plus some other minor, simple changes such as starting to use a soft sponge and a very gentle shampoo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts