Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Banned
34,428 Posts
Wow - great idea. This shampoo has given some positive results on "androgenic alopecia" - hormone driven hair loss that men experience, but so do many of us women as estrogen levels decline in our middle-later years.
I did not know that!!!

So it volumizes AND treats the cause of thinning!
I see that there is Rx strength and OTC strength. Do you know if the OTC would be just as effective?

· Banned
34,428 Posts
Oh Canada! is right!
All I could find was 1% ketaconozole 4oz at Walgreen for $10USD. It's blue, not the pink stuff. The 2% pink stuff was the good stuff that made my hair full, bouncy, soft and smelling heavenly! I had 4 bottles of it but DH threw it away because he said it was "old".

· Banned
34,428 Posts
Do you have curly hair Lydia? Most of the Bain de Terre things made my thin and limp babyfine hair even more....limp! I bet it works great for you lucky curly girls.

My experience with minoxidil is that it really beefs up the root area nicely. Like a root lifter.

My thyroid is OK, I checked.

· Banned
34,428 Posts
The waiting game? You mean the Rogaine? Yes, you have to follow the directions. I used to blow dry my hair after applying in the am and then at night just wait for it to dry - you could put a towel on your pillow if you don't want to wait for it to dry at night. It will stain your pillowcases!

I am using the Nizoral shampoo and love it for adding volume. It helps with the sweaty itchy scalp of summer too.

· Banned
34,428 Posts
Since I only applied the Rogaine to the scalp and not the actual hair (using the nozzle helps) and rubbed it in well, I think that helped with absorption. If i recall, it contains propylene glycol to help with absorption too. You really have to section well and not be too lavish with it or it will be too sticky. It might have impeded the absorption to blow dry, but I didn't have time to wait at the time.

I don't recall any shedding with Rogaine, no more than usual. It's been a while since I used it, but I recall it was a good root booster. My hair felt thick when I used it, but it was such a hassle to use that I quit.

No, I didn't feel any sensation with the Nizoral either.

· Banned
34,428 Posts
I got my 1% (OTC) Nizoral from Walgreen's - the 4 oz bottle was $10USD.

I do use it every day. For 3 days of the week I leave it on for 3 minutes after the second application. I know this is overdoing it and is all wrong, but I love the way it adds fluffiness to my hair and stops the scalp from itching.

I wonder if it's the base that the Nizoral is in that makes my hair fluffy, or the actual ketaconozole. I have an email in to the mfr asking about it and if the 1% and 2% shampoos both have the same base. I see the 1% has SLS but it's way down the list. Great shampoo!

Thanks mireckca for that link to the article about Nizoral for hair loss.

· Banned
34,428 Posts
OMG yes! How can you stand it with 108F?? House to car to office and back with no stopping in between!

It actually cooled down to 70's day/50's nite here. Thank God for that. The humidity makes everyone a little testy...lots of shootings and fights last week here. Neighbors screaming and shouting at each other.

· Banned
34,428 Posts
Yes I have curl, which I straighten, blow wave color etc. Let a new hirdresser on the loose who did foils big mistake. More frizz.

My hair is also fine, but I guess i use a lot of product to pick it up. Its very hard to get a healthy shine on blonde hair. I like redken products they seem to have a lot more protein in them which is needed to repair the hair shaft.
There is also a product that redken used to have called (ppt s-77) which was a liquid protein which you left on for 10 min which repaired and gave great body and shine.
Lydia
If you like Redken, have you tried Extreme Fuel or Deep Fuel? They've rescued me a couple times without leaving the hair greasy or flat.

· Banned
34,428 Posts
Oh I understand about the heat at night too!

I don't know if I told you, but I lived in southern Florida for a while (never again!) and when I came out of work at night the heat and humidity would hit me like a wall! And that was at midnite! It just never cooled off. Beautiful palm trees and sunsets and beaches, but bugs and critters and humidity from hell.

It makes ppl very cranky when it's hot and sticky. Like rabid animals. I told my DH that I am NOT living without a/c....I think it scared him a little!

· Banned
34,428 Posts
That plus threatening to shave George
should keep the A/C going all summer.
Yeah poor George. He just lies on the floor with his belly on a cool place! The neighbors shave their cats and I feel sorry for them...poor little skinny things with bare patches. The skeeters have a feast on them! It seems cruel and the cats seem self-consciously aware of how strange they look. They slink around and do not make eye-contact.

· Banned
34,428 Posts
And OMG those poodles sure are groomed to the Nines, aren't they??? Toenail polish and all! They are impressive-looking when they have their Fur-doo's but a little primpy for a dog. Those big poodles scare me - they are pretty smart too!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.