Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Okay for temporary results you can use a volumizing shampoo. They're pretty good for added volume. Nioxin can help to thicken your hair back up by promoting growth. It's VERY good but you have to know which one to pick. They recently started a new line that's kinda confusing to people. If you can describe your hair, hair type, and if you have been chemically processed I can greatly help! Also, Nioxin offers vitamins and a scalp therapy solution that you can apply directly to the scalp right after you wash it. My hair is long and I use it. It really helps. Oh! and the shampoo tingles!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I don't like Tre Semme's products. For good results Nioxin really does work to get your hair back healthy. Just like I said earlier and in the article, use a volumizing shampoo. Matrix (in a blue bottle) really helps. You have to buy these products from a salon.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Can someone tell me what do for my thin hair? Do any products work?
I read these posts on another thread -

'I started to use the ojon thickening shampoo and conditioner and it makes my hair so plump and soft'

'I use some of the other products in the Ojon line and I love love love them!! You really can't go wrong with a line that Angelina Jolie swears by, right?'

Why not give Ojon a try? I use the oil and it is great.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm watching this thread too. I know my thinning hair is due to meds that I need to be on, but I would still like to learn about products that can help with thicker appearance of hair.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Take a potent B Vitamin (all B's) and Biotin separate as well as some Zinc and Selenium. I had a telogen effluvium (when hair prematurely goes into a resting phase en masse) which thinned my hair once when I used a hair bleach and as a result my hair was thin and I had to wait for the hair to enter anagen (the growth phase) again and grow out. I took vitamins and went into a sauna daily and it worked well! It is not instant but it does work faster than if left untreated.

Is your hair loss sudden or do you just have thin hair? If it is sudden you also need to find out what the root cause is which can be malnutrition, genetics, telogen effluvium from trauma, liver issues, or others.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had this problem about 6 months ago and panicked. My doctor put me on 200 mg Spironolactone, and made me come back a week later for a potassium test to make sure I had no negative side effects. She also had thinning and it had worked for her. In the meantime, I started taking 1000mg of evening primrose oil (found the suggestion on another forum) daily. The spironolactone is what's working, and working it has. I now have all the fine baby hairs back around my hairline again, and my scalp no longer shows through. My hairstylist even noticed the last time I got a trim.

It won't work for everyone, but if your hair loss is due to a hormone issue, spironolactone may help you. Evening primrose is also suggested in the event of hormone issues. Good luck, as I understand it can be nerve-wracking.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Susy, I have very think hair too. Unfortunately, I think that just the superficial fixes are going to make a difference, IE - extensions, weaves.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Clabbergirl! that's great it works for you!! I've heard of using spironolactone for PMS also, as well as for acne. It looks like one of the side effects is too much hair growth in women, so I hope you don't turn out like this
Attachment 303

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,762 Posts
I would also say, have your iron level checked. I have had the same issues with hair, and found out I had MAJOR iron issues.

In addition to the advice given already, I would say try taking Horsetail, if you aren't already. This has helped me as well.

Fawnie-Evening primrose oil is good for moodiness (not saying you are), but during the good ol PMS times. Bump up what you normally take x's 2 and you will be good to go!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, i've the same problem as well. When i was a child my hair is very thick. But since i was in high school, my hair looked thin and also had baldness at the centre of my head >.<.

I tried so many shampoo but they caused scalp dandruff, except for Head&Shoulder. I also tried some products that pharmacy recommended but they didn't work and cause dandruff so badly. So i have to keep using H&S, and afraid to use other treatment. What should i do now???

For more information, i did have a blood test, it said i have high male hormone than female...Does it cause my baldness??? I don't know what to do

·
Administrator
33,762 Posts
Hi, i've the same problem as well. When i was a child my hair is very thick. But since i was in high school, my hair looked thin and also had baldness at the centre of my head >.<.

I tried so many shampoo but they caused scalp dandruff, except for Head&Shoulder. I also tried some products that pharmacy recommended but they didn't work and cause dandruff so badly. So i have to keep using H&S, and afraid to use other treatment. What should i do now???

For more information, i did have a blood test, it said i have high male hormone than female...Does it cause my baldness??? I don't know what to do
Did your Dr give you anything or recommend anything for your hormone level?
As far as thinning hair, have you tried Rogaine? My Dr said it works great. Maybe give that a try.
Home | Rogaine

·
Registered
398 Posts
In addition to the advice given already, I would say try taking Horsetail, if you aren't already. This has helped me as well.
gymrat, may I ask how much horsetail you are taking? I just started taking some this week. Each cap is 360mg, and the bottle says to take 2 caps 3x per day with meals. That sounded like a lot to me. So I'm starting with one cap per day, in the morning when I take my usual supplements. I figured that adding any amount would be better than before and starting very conservatively, I won't have to worry about adverse affects.

·
Registered
419 Posts
for years I battled with thick, curly hair...now that I'm a little older my hair seems to have thinned out. especially on the top of my head. I like Phyto Revitalizing Serum. Little vials of serum that you use after your shampoo. I also use Phyto Shampoo for thin hair. Works very well for me. It doesn't grow back your hair but it makes the hair you have much thicker.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
That sounds good! I just read that Nizoral shampoo (for dandruff) is good for volumizing. I used it long ago and remember that was true! But it has a weird orange/pink color that might not work with light colored hair. Unless you LIKE orange/pink colored hair!Attachment 319

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 84 Posts