Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just have to say that I am so happy I found this website. In Australia there is absolutely no interest in skin lightening, only tanning. I find this so incredibly frustrating. Why do people want to cook themselves in the sun?? Or even make themselves darker with fake tanning products? I just don't get it. Anything I want to buy I have to get from the US or elsewhere and it costs often more than the product itself in postage.

It is so good to find people on here who think like me. I have grown to despise the sun for the damage it has done to me. My husband thinks I'm crazy, constantly hiding from the sun, and lately even daylight of any form, and I often feel so alone.

Anyway, it is great to be here and I look forward to hanging around and reading all your fantastic advice.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I agree completely. You are amongst kindred spirits. Alhough I can see why some people love the look of a tan, the dangers of the sun & those weird tanning beds makes itseem not worth it to me. The crispy skin people get as they age is scary. Australia also leads the world in melanoma deaths from all that tanning. The source we call ADC (alldaychemistdotcom) will ship to anywhere for $24 USD. The product prices are so cheap that most of us order from there & we have members all over the world. You can stock up because they can pack a lot into a single shipment for the same price. Check them out & fish around on their site. You won't believe their prices.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I am also fotunate to have found this sie by accident. I have only been hee for about a week and I have learned so much that I couldn't find at other forums. At several other skin lightening forums many ppl just argue and cat fight. But, everyday here on this forum, I'm always learning something new and reading how ppl are actually acheiveing their skin goals.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Hi guys,

I just have to say that I am so happy I found this website. In Australia there is absolutely no interest in skin lightening, only tanning. I find this so incredibly frustrating. Why do people want to cook themselves in the sun?? Or even make themselves darker with fake tanning products? I just don't get it. Anything I want to buy I have to get from the US or elsewhere and it costs often more than the product itself in postage.

It is so good to find people on here who think like me. I have grown to despise the sun for the damage it has done to me. My husband thinks I'm crazy, constantly hiding from the sun, and lately even daylight of any form, and I often feel so alone.

Anyway, it is great to be here and I look forward to hanging around and reading all your fantastic advice.
Welcome Karenannev-

Well you are not alone, there are many of us on this site that avoid the sun as much as we possibly can-

glad to have you here-

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for your welcome, gymrat. Sorry I seemed to have this missed post of yours. I need to check more carefully for replies. I've really become addicted to this site since I joined
. About avoiding the sun, I would love to use an umbrella when walking from my car to the office, for example, but I'm way too self conscious. I've taken to holding a piece of paper up to the sun. Probably still looks silly but can't bear the sun on my face now.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Get a simple white umbrella. More & more people of many bkgds are doing this as they learn about the dangers of sun damage. Better to be self-conscious at first (& for a few short days) over an umbrella than to be self conscious for years over the disfiguring effects of skin cancer
. Just tell anyone who asks & stares too much that you have a sun allergy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
yup definately get an umbrella, wearing sunscreen will not stop you from getting darker only an umbrella will because as soon as the sun hits your face it doesnt matter if u have suncreen. most people think that sunscreen stops u from getting darker in fact it just stops ur skin from burning.

try a white cloth one umbrella thats a bit more fashionably than a black rain one.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
yup definately get an umbrella, wearing sunscreen will not stop you from getting darker only an umbrella will because as soon as the sun hits your face it doesnt matter if u have suncreen. most people think that sunscreen stops u from getting darker in fact it just stops ur skin from burning.

try a white cloth one umbrella thats a bit more fashionably than a black rain one.
The right kind of sunscreen and how and how often it is applied will be the main determining factors as to whether you get darker. Assuming your not lying on the beach. Sun avoidance when possible is still the key though.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Get a simple white umbrella. More & more people of many bkgds are doing this as they learn about the dangers of sun damage. Better to be self-conscious at first (& for a few short days) over an umbrella than to be self conscious for years over the disfiguring effects of skin cancer
. Just tell anyone who asks & stares too much that you have a sun allergy.
I agree, when I was living in Ethiopia there were quite a few ladies who used umbrellas when the sun was really out during the day time. I thought of trying that here in the States but I would have to learn to not be so shy.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, I think I have developed a slight allergy anyway. I really feel a stinging sensation if it touches my skin now. It might be all in my head. I'll see if I can find a cotton umbrella, and get the courage to use it

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I agree, when I was living in Ethiopia there were quite a few ladies who used umbrellas when the sun was really out during the day time. I thought of trying that here in the States but I would have to learn to not be so shy.
Eternal ...are you Ethiopian?. Sorry if you have said before and i didnt see.. Women from Ethiopian have beautiful skin and features.. Ms Kebede is one of my fav's... i was tempted to use an umbrella when i started the retin-A.. instead i try to run errands very early or late and wear big sunnies.. keep my visor up..and wear something on my arms while im driving in the car.. because my arms tan over easily..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts