Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a ton of posts on forums all the time about acne and people wondering why they get it and how to get rid of it. They say they use all the right topicals and eat healthy but are they really?

Using topical solutions and/or creams are only a temporary fix to acne. Acne is an outward clue that something is going on, on the inside of our bodies. What is this something you ask? Toxicity! You say you are eating healthy but are you? Do you consume hydrogenated oils (otherwise known as trans fats?) Do you eat dairy? Do you eat wheat? Do you eat soy? Do you consume a lot of gluten?

Dairy (milk,cheese, etc.) contain hormones, every cow has hormones and then topple that with the additional hormones being injected into the cows so they can produce even more milk and then add your hormones to the mix and what do you get? ACNE........because what is the main culprit of acne? You guessed it HORMONES. So you're not helping the situation by eating dairy AT ALL. Plus are you eating any raw foods at all? Such as vegetables and fruits or do you eat a lot of processed foods? Processed foods like deli meats contain sodium nitrates and that causes acne as well. The more crap that's listed on an ingredients list, the worse it is for you! Stick with whole foods and rid yourself of the following: dairy, wheat, white flour (use brown rice flour and eat millet or brown rice flour bread, no white bread!!!), soy, gluten, all preservatives including sodium nitrates.

You need to work on your insides to improve the look on your outside. The only oils you should be consuming is UNREFINED coconut oil (organic if you can) and extra virgin olive oil. If you are going to fry anything you can use just olive oil and only at medium heat any higher than that and you will mutate the triglyceride chains in the oil making it toxic. Use the Extra virgin for cold foods (salads etc.) You can also fry in the coconut oil as well. Stay away from vegetable oil, canola oil (canola oil is a genetically manufactured oil made in Canada, hence it's name Can-ola, from the mustard seed plant which is rapeseed, it's highly highly toxic and can cause severe stomach cramping and or nausea as well as diarrhea, canola oil is used in pesticides just to give you an idea of how toxic it is! Also stay away from cottonseed oil. Soy oil is not good for you but can be tolerated if need be. Sunflower and Safflower oil is "okay" but not not the best either. Walnut oil can be used as well.

Topicals can be used to help surface bacteria (hydrogen peroxide helps with bacteria) Salyicylic acid is great for inflammation of a pimple.

Good luck and if you follow the correct diet I guarantee you will see results!!! Can't wait to hear your updates after following this advice! Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Some good advise but you can still get acne even after doing all you said. Factors such as genetics can't be denied. Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Acne is caused by hormones and has been proven in scientific studies that it is NOT related to diet. Show me a double-blind, peer-reviewed study that proves otherwise and then we can talk.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I found it to be genetic in my family. Several of my dad's brothers had terrible cases of it then their sons did and my dad had it but not severely but my brother did. I had only a mild case as a teen. Seemed genetic to me in my case.

·
Registered
881 Posts
wait so diet effects acne or not? i think lightnlift told me toxins come out of your skin and pimples ect is one form. toxins in fast food, processed food, badly prepaird food..can someone clarify this

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
My personal theory is that the hormones used in raising meat, and the free radicals generated by heating the fats used in frying contribute to acne and ageing. And internal damage.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
316 Posts
There are educated scientists that have devoted their lives to studying this exact subject. They are coming up empty-handed. They still have not been able to identify any sort of link whatsoever between acne and diet. I am interested and excited for any possible future advances on this. Just as in every other case with science and studies, new technologies will result in new knowledge. But, as of right now it has been determined that there is no link between the two.

·
Registered
881 Posts
free radicals generated by the heating of the fats used in frying- what fats in frying? ?? the fats from the oils like olive oil? or the fats of the oils in the meat?

sry i just want to understand i seriously know nothing of nutrition besides that raw fruits and vegetables, and not fast food. i eat alot of fruit and cheeses, grains and potatoes and nuts oh and i always cook with olive oils. so anyone who would like to school me go ahead=D

·
Registered
881 Posts
yeah rly.. take a look at the nordic =D and how their living/(past tense of live)......people say it about asians too which seeeeeeeems to be true, just different techniques

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vananners,

First off I did say that hormones cause acne. Eating dairy which is loaded with hormones both the cows and synthetic attribute to your acne. Soy affects our hormones as well:

Cargill has received "self-determined" GRAS status for its AdvantaSoyTMClearTM isoflavone supplement to be used as an additive for beverages, nutrition bars, yoghurt, meal replacements and confections. The summaries of studies below provide ample proof of the dangers of adding phytoestrogens (isoflavones) to common foods. Deleterious effects include endocrine disruption, thyroid suppression, immune system supression, suppression of sperm production, DNA breakage and increased incidence of leukemia, breast cancer, colon cancer, infertility, growth problems and subtle changes in sexually dimorphic behaviors.

Cheng C and others. Estrogenic Activity of Isoflavone Derivatives Extracted and Prepared from Soybean Meal. Science 1953;118:164-5. Feeding 2.5 or 5.0 mg of either genistein or genistin per day to the mouse resulted in increased uterine weights.

Farnsworth NR and others. Potential Value of Plants as Anti-fertility Agents. J Pharm Sci. "Phytochemical interest in plant estrogens…increased in the 1950s due to the recognition that infertility in animals and humans could follow excessive ingestion of plants rich in estogenic activity" Genistein and Daidzein were identified in soybeans "A large reduction in sperm numbers was observed in prolonged grazing of sheep in clover pasture'…." Genistein has a remarkable structural similarity to DES."

Lindner HR. Occurrence of Anabolic Agents in Plants and their Importance. Environment Quality Supplement 1976;5:151-158. "Coumestrol and genistein stimulate estradiol in stimulating macromolecular changes in the uterus. The biological effects of clover estrogens responsible for fertility impairment appear to be multiple."

Y Ishizuki and others. The Effects on the Thyroid Gland of Soybeans Administered Experimentally in Healthy Subjects. Nippon Naibunpi Gakkai Zasshi 1991, 767: 622-629. Feeding 30 grams (2 tablespoons) roasted pickled soybeans per day for three months to healthy adults receiving adequate iodine intake caused thyroid suppression, especially in the elderly. Hypometabolic symptoms (malaise, constipation, sleepiness) and goiters appeared in half the younger subjects (mean age of 29) and half the older subjects (mean age 61). The symptoms disappeared 1 month after the cessation of soybean ingestion. "These findings suggested that excessive soybean ingestion for a certain duration might suppress thyroid function and cause goiters in healthy people, especially elderly subjects." Note that 30 grams per day was considered "excessive" by these Japanese researchers.

Bulletin de L'Office Federal de la SantÃa9 Publique, No 28, July 20, 1992. The Swiss health service estimates that 100 grams of soy protein provides the estrogenic equivalent of the contraceptive pill. One hundred grams of soy protein contains about 97 g total isoflavones according to USDA-Iowa State University Database on the Isoflavone Content of Foods 1999.

This list continues 17 years more into studies but as not to make this post any longer than necessary I have left them out and I am unable to post the URL here otherwise I would have.

And in addition:

Pacific Islands to Africa where there is little or no incidence of acne, even during puberty. When the diets of these people are compared to the typical Western diet, there are nutritionally significant differences. The ethnic groups with very low incidence of acne ate predominately plant-based diets that were low in fat and virtually sugar-free. The typical Western diet is heavy in meats, saturated fat, refined sugar, and highly processed foods. By studying these differences, doctors and researchers have developed suggestions for dietary changes to improve or eliminate acne.

Researchers have discovered that high carbohydrate foods increase the levels of insulin in the blood. High levels of insulin can raise hormone levels in the blood.
Studies have shown that half of acne patients tested had abnormal glucose levels, and in another study, 80%of premenstrual women with acne had abnormal glucose metabolism These data and others that show a high carbohydrate diet increases the levels of testosterone in the blood of both men and women, have lead to the recommendation of reducing the amount high carbohydrate foods or foods containing high levels of refined sugar to treat acne.
A large study of over 45,000 nurses found a link between the amount of dairy products these women consumed and the severity of acne they experienced. Women who reported consuming higher amounts of dairy products reported more severe acne. Similarly, the two ethnic groups with little or no acne also consumed no dairy products.

Sources:

Goodless, Dean R. MD. The Acne-Free Diet Celebration, FL: New Paradigm Dermatology, 2005.

Adebamowo, C. A., D. Spiegelman, F. W. Danby, A. L. Frazier, W. C. Willett, and M. D. Holmes. “High School Dietary Intake and Teenage Acne.†JAm Acad Dermatol 52 (2005): 207–14.

Ayres, S. and R. Mihan. “Acne Vulgaris: Therapy Directed at Pathophysiologic Defects.†Cutis 28 (1981): 41–42.

Cordain, L., S. Lindeberg, M. Hurtado, K. Hill, S. B. Eaton, and J. Brand-Miller. “Acne Vulgaris: A Disease of Western Civilization.†Arch Dermatol 139 (2002): 1584–90.

Deplewski, D. and R. L. Rosenfield. “Growth Hormone and Insulin-like Growth Factors Have Different Effects on Sebaceous Cell Growth and Differentiation.†Endocrinology 140, no. 9 (Sept 1999): 408–994.

Gaul, L. E. “Salt Restriction in Acne Vulgaris.†Indiana State Med Assoc 58 (1965): 839–42.

Levin, O. L. and M. Kahn. “Biochemical Studies in Diseases of the Skin: II Acne Vulgaris.†Am J M Sc 164 (1922): 379–85.

Leung, L. H. “Pantothenic Acid Deficiency as the Pathogenesis of Acne Vulgaris.†Medical Hypotheses 44 (1995): 490–92.

Michaelsson, G., L. Luhlin, and K. Ljunghall. “A Double-Blind Study of the Effect of Zinc and Oxytetracycline in Acne Vulgaris.†Br JDermatol97 (1977): 561–66.

Yeh, H.P. “Acne in Taiwan.†J Formosan Med Assoc 74 (1975): 212–19.

Deborah L. Nurmi, MS

There is plenty of other proof regarding what you put into your body affects how it runs, including the condition of your skin, hair, bodily functions etc. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that if your ingesting toxins your body won't "run" right, look right or act right. I didn't even scratch the service of trans fats. You can research that yourself and find out that this a toxic substance that affects the liver and our general well being. (see below for more liver info).

Little fun fact for you:

"Anything that impairs liver function or ties up the detoxifying function will result in excess estrogen levels"
Harvard physician John R. Lee M.D.

The liver is a filter of sorts. It detoxifies our body, protecting us from the harmful effects of chemicals, elements in food, environmental toxins, and even natural products of our metabolism, including excess estrogen.

Anything that impairs liver function or ties up the detoxifying function will result in excess estrogen levels. This excess is forming because our livers are impaired from these toxins and cannot perform at full capacity and flush the used hormones out of our blood streams and hence excess hormones build up in our systems. What causes acne again? Hormones. ANYTHING that messes with our bodies functioning will ultimately affect our hormones in a negative way.

I can only hope that this has somehow enlightened you to some capacity where you can further your knowledge with continuous study on this matter to ultimately start incorporating healthy options into your life so that you may feel better and become healthier. When we balance our bodies our hormones will ultimately balance out, thus creating healthier, clearer skin.

God Bless and have a wonderful weekend!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Lydia

Whenever you super heat an oil you mutate the triglyceride chains in the oil distorting it to where it becomes toxic and the body has an extremely hard time breaking it down, if at all.

Take hydrogenated oils for instance (trans fats) Chemically, trans fat refers to a lipid molecule that contains one or more double bonds in trans geometric configuration. A double bond may exhibit one of two possible configurations; trans or cis. In trans configuration, the carbon chain extends from opposite sides of the double bond, rendering a straighter molecule, whereas in cis configuration, the carbon chain extends from the same side of the double bond, rendering a bent molecule (mutated, distorted).

A basic description of hydrogenated oil is: \t
Trans fats (or trans fatty acids) are created in an industrial process that adds hydrogen to liquid vegetable oils to make them more solid.

A bit O' History:
\t
Trans fats (or trans fatty acids) are created in an industrial process that adds hydrogen to liquid vegetable oils to make them more solid. a French chemist by the name of Paul Sabatier developed the hydrogenation process in the 1890's and then in 1902 scientist Wilhelm Normann finds that liquid oils can be hydrogenated to form trans fatty acids. He patents the process. Trans fat is the first man-made fat to join our food supply. Then Proctor and Gamble put Crisco into the grocery stores in 1911. Hydrogenation of oils prolongs shelf life so the bottom line was "Money".

It is best to consume oils that have Medium Chain Triglycerides or (MCT) Coconut oil is a perfect example of (MCT). MCT are easily digested, absorbed, and put to use nourishing the body. Unlike other fats, they put little strain on the digestive system and provide a quick source of energy necessary to promote healing. The digestive health advantages of MCT) over LCT are due to the differences in the way our bodies metabolize these fats. Because the MCT molecules are smaller, they require less energy and fewer enzymes to break them down for digestion. They are digested and absorbed quickly and with minimal effort.

Thampan, P.K. 1994. Facts and Fallacies About Coconut Oil. Asian and Pacific Coconut Community, p.8

Jiang, Z.M.,Et al. 1993. A comparison of medium-chain and long-chain triglycerides in surgical patients. Ann. Surg. 217(2):175

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you, these information are priceless and very informative. I will make sure that I apply most of them and pass them along to people, especially women. I am pretty sure they will appreciate it a lot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts