Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do you put on what? I saw somewhere else a woman say she puts on Vit. C serum in the AM and Retin A in the PM. Is that the conventional wisdom?

Thank you for any insight! I ordered a Vitamin C serum (I fully believe it's better to make your own, and I'm impressed at you ladies, but I'm not there yet). I'm not using Retin A, but I am using a retinoid serum, so I figure it would be the same "order of operations".

Thank you!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I'm going to change my answer!
Here is a quote from Dr T @ Smartskincare.com about wearing vit C serum in the daytime:

farawayspice
Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:41 am Post subject:\t
Can I use vitamin c at night along with the alpha hydroxy acid or retinol product?
I read somewhere (forgive me, I forget where) that sunscreen can actually be harmful to your skin if not used with an antioxidant. I figured I would be ok since I was using an ascorbic acid powder product (Philosophy's Turbo Booster) in my sunscreen. Since this might not be a good idea, what might be good to use in the am instead?
\t \t
drtodorov
Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:17 am Post subject:\t
The potential problem with C is that it becomes pro-oxidant when oxidized and some other antioxidants, like E, do not have this problem. That said, yes, it is not a bad idea to combine sun-blocking ingredients and antioxidants (as long as they do not interact negatively with each other). Some commercial sunscreens already combine sunblocks and antioxidants.
So I'm going to use my C serum in the pm under my Retin-A instead and see how that goes. I used to buffer the RA anyway so the E and SKB in the C serum shouldn't prevent it from penetrating.

Any thoughts on this from the Peanut Gallery?

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Here is a quote from Dr T @ Smartskincare.com about wearing vit C serum in the daytime:

farawayspice
Can I use vitamin c at night along with the alpha hydroxy acid or retinol product?
I read somewhere (forgive me, I forget where) that sunscreen can actually be harmful to your skin if not used with an antioxidant. I figured I would be ok since I was using an ascorbic acid powder product (Philosophy's Turbo Booster) in my sunscreen. Since this might not be a good idea, what might be good to use in the am instead?
\t \t
drtodorov
The potential problem with C is that it becomes pro-oxidant when oxidized and some other antioxidants, like E, do not have this problem. That said, yes, it is not a bad idea to combine sun-blocking ingredients and antioxidants (as long as they do not interact negatively with each other). Some commercial sunscreens already combine sunblocks and antioxidants.
Quote: Originally Posted by

So I'm going to use my C serum in the pm under my Retin-A instead and see how that goes. I used to buffer the RA anyway so the E and SKB in the C serum shouldn't prevent it from penetrating.

No fawnie I think that is fine. I apply my Vit C at night under my RA. Then on my off nights of RA, I apply my Vit C in the AM. My derm told me to do it this way.

Do you apply your RA every night, or every other, I can't remember. (please forgive me-
)

·
Registered
4,304 Posts

farawayspice
\t \t
drtodorov

What exactly said above would cause you to change your mind about using the C serum in the morning? Pretty much a proven thing IMO to use it in the morning under your sunscreen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

farawayspice
\t \t
drtodorov

The bolded is what is making me nervous lately. I have been using Neutrogena sunscreen with anti-oxidants, but I went out and bought a "plain" one, as I was worried about things canceling each other out. Now I'm not sure what to do.

This all is a little confusing!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hello there,

Fawnie is spot on - Vit C in morning and Retin A at night.

But be aware that Retinol creams [UK term] are not as effective as Retin A.

Warm regards,

redrose

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi there, well I just recently ordered retin-a and i'm constantly puzzling myself with different questions. Everyones claiming the retin-a is amazing. But I'm seeing a lof of associations with vit C serum. SO does that mean if i use the retin-a alone it won't be enough? The tretinoin helps to smoothen out wrinkles and increase collaged production. So then what does the vit c do or does it do the similar job it just acts as an enforcer?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Hi there, well I just recently ordered retin-a and i'm constantly puzzling myself with different questions. Everyones claiming the retin-a is amazing. But I'm seeing a lof of associations with vit C serum. SO does that mean if i use the retin-a alone it won't be enough? The tretinoin helps to smoothen out wrinkles and increase collaged production. So then what does the vit c do or does it do the similar job it just acts as an enforcer?
The retin-a alone is enough. It's just that many of us like to take advantage of the proven power of a C serum.

Vitamin C is naturally found in skin and gets depleted in daylight. If you don´t use topical C you will have less than optimal amounts in your skin. Oral supplementation can only increase skins C to a certain limit. Topical C can increase the amount 20-fold. Vitamin C has been chosen by evolution as the main protector of the watery portions of your body. It´s the only antioxidant that directly can stimulate fibroblasts to synthesize new collagen and it brightens skin by moderating epidermal melanin. Pairing it with vitamin E equals greater protection (SPF 4). Adding ferulic acid can double that to an SPF 8.

Vitamin C for wrinkles and skin aging

Vitamin C + E + ferulic acid: enhancing stability and effectiveness of topical ascorbic acid

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh alright gotcha, thats actually what I thought

Well since i'm fairly new to the game I'll take it easy and just enjoy the retin-a for the time being.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can someone describe briefly the right regimen to follow for a newbie like myself.
First of all is moisturizer necessary when applying the retin-a? I already know a solid sunscreen is vital.
So in the beginning how often do I apply the retin? Is it like every night for the first month then every other night the next month or something?
Also, what about days when I'm home allday? Can i just moisturize that morning?
Rookie alert

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Can someone describe briefly the right regimen to follow for a newbie like myself.
First of all is moisturizer necessary when applying the retin-a? I already know a solid sunscreen is vital.
So in the beginning how often do I apply the retin? Is it like every night for the first month then every other night the next month or something?
Also, what about days when I'm home allday? Can i just moisturize that morning?
Rookie alert
Use Retinoids the Right Way

http://www.skincaretalk.com/anti-agi...elp-retin.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
that site sure helped..but i'm still wondering, is it best to use the retin-a like right before you go to bed or is it ok to use it in the evening? since i have no clue of the texture i have no idea if its greasy or what. unless it absobs quickly then rubbing your face in the pillow when you sleep will not be an issue

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
it absorbs VERY quickly. I always wait right before bed it's the last thing I do at the end of the day.

·
Registered
37 Posts
got it..thanks goatlady

now i just need an excellent sunscreen..i currently use one with an spf of 30..so i'll need something much higher

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Mike
Which SS are you using? spf30 is fine for just around the house but if you are outdoors working all day you need something with a higher spf and stable ingredients like Mexoryl or tinosorb, plus titanium dioxide or zinc oxide in it for InfraRed protection. I like Avene orange tube for that reason
.Untitled Document

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
that site sure helped..but i'm still wondering, is it best to use the retin-a like right before you go to bed or is it ok to use it in the evening? since i have no clue of the texture i have no idea if its greasy or what. unless it absobs quickly then rubbing your face in the pillow when you sleep will not be an issue
Just be sure theres no direct sunlight still shining thru the windows

1 - 20 of 35 Posts