Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, I was just reading an old post on natural vs non-natural skin care. How many of you are really conscious of what is in your skin care products. I've tried natural skin care products. It seems like either they have 50,000 ingredients in them, so you have no idea if you have a reaction, what has caused it or they they are extremely expensive. I just had a health scare with my husband and kinda realized it really doesn't matter how good you look if if destroys your health. What are your thoughts on this and how do I really know what ingredients are toxic to my health. I would just some unbiased opinions.

Sandy

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
You can have a reaction from all natural skin care just as likely as from all chemical products and there are many natural or plant based substances that are harmful to humans.
I used REN Biomimetic Perfect Lip Honey and it turned skin around my lips red, peeling and raw. There are no petrochemicals, preservatives in it, just natural oils, waxes and stuff and it has great reviews, but I'm still allergic to something in it. This is the first time I get such reaction form any product, natural or otherwise.
But I also dislike some chemical sunscreens, especially oxybenzone, it stings when I apply it on my skin. It doesn't turn my skin red and the stinging is short time only, but I stay away from this particular ingredient.
I never really pay attention to how natural or chemical the product is anymore, I tried all natural skin care brands, Jason, Apotheker Scheller, Logona, Weleda, Alterra, but they never did anything for my skin despite claiming that natural iris root extract is good for oily skin and breakouts or even having proven ingredients like Vitamin C in them (maybe it wasn't stabile or % was too low).

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
I personally don't get caught up in the natural skin care vs the un-natural skin care. Doesn't really matter to me. As long as it gives results and works for me is what matters the most.

I have and do use both. Some natural work well, some un-natural work better. It is all a matter of personal preference.

Bottom line, use what works for you!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
I've tried natural skin care and I've gotten some of the worse breakouts ever, so I guess sometimes it isn't worth it, I just wanted some other opinions on what other people do. thanks bunches!!

Sandy

·
Registered
713 Posts
I personally don't get caught up in the natural skin care vs the un-natural skin care. Doesn't really matter to me. As long as it gives results and works for me is what matters the most.

I have and do use both. Some natural work well, some un-natural work better. It is all a matter of personal preference.

Gymrat
couldn't put it better....I want something that works! My husband has had cancer and I have had a stroke and I feel as long as I'm on this earth I want to look and feel as good as I can.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Sandy,

Well, we all need to take care of our complexions so we have to use something but need to choose wisely.

You can cleanse with grapeseed oil [no nasty ingredients]], tone with lemon juice/cider vinegar [one teaspoon to a glass of water] and moisturise with olive oil or rose oil.

These are all totally devoid of any 'nasties'. Obviously, you need a sun-cream. Choose a certified-organic product such as those available from L'Occitane whose products are natural and effective.

None of the products which I've mentioned are toxic to your health.

Best of luck,

redrose

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Sandy,

The question is of course about chemicals vs non chemicals... but this is actually hiding a deeper question... How many cosmetic companies really care about us?
The answer: NONE, they simply care about your money not your satisfaction.

So now, of course natural product would be best for your skin. Toxic products are not an answer even if they make you look artificially better for a while by destroying your health and expose you to cancer... Problem is that today most of natural skin cares are useless or full of allergens. Why? Because if they label it "bio" or "natural" that will be way enough to sell it. And by the way, most of so-called organic products actually contain chemicals... read the formula... That's why many people still use chemicals-loaded skincare instead (for "natural" looks like a hoax most of the time) and harm their health slowly while trying to keep their skin young looking.

We need some really new players on that market to offer us some consideration and respect. and it looks like it starts to happen

I was using "Origins" for a while, but because I have a really sensitive skin I had to find a completely chemicals free and allergens free skincare... guess what? It did not exist!!!

I made research on the web and found out that actually there are many natural conservatives that would allow brands to create chemicals free products... But we still have the allergens free issue. So I kept searching and found out that allergens come from floral waters... the ones "organic and natural" brands use. ooooops....

But last week I finally made an interesting discovery. A swiss brand called Swissclinical, seems to be a young company but they have an interesting approach to cosmetics... quite unusual indeed. They actually have a chemical AND allergen free skincare line called "pure".
So, as a good city girl, who wanna know everything about the hottest newest products before my fav mag, I ordered some and tried them. :) So far so good, I have no allergic reaction, my skin is finally at peace with cosmetics and the texture is just plain gorgeous.

All i wanna say is that natural can be as efficient (or even more) as chemical skincare, without risks for your health, BUT, you need to find a brand that is honest with you, which is, i guess, a good basis for what i would call a "responsible beauty business :)

Brands please behave and give Sandy a decent answer!!

Sheeva

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am a natural skin care enthusiast only because natural skin products are the only products that I have results with. That means minimizing wrinkles, no acne breakouts EVER and glowing skin. I am not the type of person to worry about chemicals seeping into skin because I have always been extremely healthy. I am going to tanning because I am heading off on a cruise soon and would rather tan slowly than fry in the Caribbean. I am not paranoid, but I am practical.

Chemicals however, can really cause more problems for skin in the long run. Sometimes people have bad skin from years of chemical buildup. Some people have bad skin from eating a poor diet. Natural skin care is not more expensive unless you are buying it in a drug store or dept store in which case it is most likely not all natural. If I had any skin problems at all, I would try natural/organic first thing. There are sooo many great products that you can purchase on line. And believe me when I tell you that it may take a month or two for your skin to get used to natural skin products. How crazy is that?

I will NEVER go back!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
This SwissClinical line really intrigued me so I looked it up. It sounded great and I had my finger on "Buy Now" until I read some of the ingredients. The toner contains something called pentylene glycol...what is that and is it going to cause problems for me? Bottom line - NOTHING is free from potential hazards, not even a totally organic cold-pressed oil if you happen to be allergic to one of the naturally occurring chemicals in it!!

Swissclinical Cleanse and Tone Skin Care Products: Gentle Toner

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
I am a natural skin care enthusiast only because natural skin products are the only products that I have results with. That means minimizing wrinkles, no acne breakouts EVER and glowing skin. I am not the type of person to worry about chemicals seeping into skin because I have always been extremely healthy. I am going to tanning because I am heading off on a cruise soon and would rather tan slowly than fry in the Caribbean. I am not paranoid, but I am practical.

Chemicals however, can really cause more problems for skin in the long run. Sometimes people have bad skin from years of chemical buildup. Some people have bad skin from eating a poor diet. Natural skin care is not more expensive unless you are buying it in a drug store or dept store in which case it is most likely not all natural. If I had any skin problems at all, I would try natural/organic first thing. There are sooo many great products that you can purchase on line. And believe me when I tell you that it may take a month or two for your skin to get used to natural skin products. How crazy is that?

I will NEVER go back!
And some people have bad skin.......... just because!!! Genetics plays a huge role in your skin. Some have great skin and those that do are extremely blessed. Some have horrible skin, and deal with it the best they can, either trying everything from natural to the unnatural.

So once again, it totally comes to personal preference. Use what works for you and others will use what works for them, natural or unnatural.

I don't eat meat, but that doesn't mean I will judge you for eating it. Eat it all you want, it just isn't something I like-

·
Registered
4,304 Posts

I will NEVER go back!
Trust me that tanning your doing is causing FAR more damage than any skin care chemical you might apply to your skin.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Doesn't really matter to me if its natural or not... I want something that been extensively tested for safety. Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This SwissClinical line really intrigued me so I looked it up. It sounded great and I had my finger on "Buy Now" until I read some of the ingredients. The toner contains something called pentylene glycol...what is that and is it going to cause problems for me? Bottom line - NOTHING is free from potential hazards, not even a totally organic cold-pressed oil if you happen to be allergic to one of the naturally occurring chemicals in it!!

I followed the link you have and ended up on another website... I finally found out that they also have an international website (the one i usually go to) and a US website. Which explains it all.

They introduced a new line called "PURE" that is 100% chemicals and allergens free... but you can see it only on their international website for now... swissclinical dot com
I am pretty sure that if you contact the USA branch, they will help you to get your hands on these products.

Hope this will help :)

Sheeva

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
The swissclinical line does look interesting but expensive however, especially for us soon to be jobless bunnys,
let me know how it works out for you please sheeva.

·
Registered
679 Posts
actually there are some skin care companies that care about their clients. they are usually the smaller companies that really use their own products and try to make them the best they can. they stand behind all of their products. you just have to find them. i know they are few and far between but it is worth the work of finding them.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

I followed the link you have and ended up on another website... I finally found out that they also have an international website (the one i usually go to) and a US website. Which explains it all.

They introduced a new line called "PURE" that is 100% chemicals and allergens free... but you can see it only on their international website for now... swissclinical dot com
I am pretty sure that if you contact the USA branch, they will help you to get your hands on these products.

Hope this will help :)

Sheeva
I'm sorry you were redirected. The site I used was Swissclinicalusa.com and listed the ingredients of the toner.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
27 Posts
My first priority is also skin care that WORKS, that said I lean toward natural because I find that they have more integrity in general. Not just full of "fillers" (creamy chemical based smell good feel good cream meant to take up space in the jar for pennies so that they make more money) and chemicals, even sometimes PRETENDING to be "natural"
eg. "Aloe lotion" that when you look at the ingredients, aloe vera is listed as last...I find "genuinely natural" brands (usually for sale at organic food stores) tend to spend more on ingredients that actually do your skin some good.

Of course they're not all created equally, but there are natural brands that work, you just have to do homework, which is why this forum is SO fantastic!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are some great thoughts, I looked at the Swissclinical. I wish I could afford it, but a little too pricey for me. I might be willing to spend that much on one specific product, but not for cleanser, toner, moisturizer, etc. I'm not a fanatic about using natural products, I usually don't worry about it as long as it works, and I guess I find most natural products have ingredients that don't exactly set well with my skin, like coconut oil, jojoba oil makes me break out too., but I love some natural ingredients like oats, honey, I guess I wish I had the knowledge to make my own products. I guess I'll just check out the ingredients that are considered extremely bad for your health and try to eliminate products with those and just deal with the rest.

Thanks for all the info

Sandy

·
Registered
1 Posts

sounds good to me, if it works use it.I have researched skin lift and antiwrinkle technology and came up with Peptides as Number one the more the better the product I use aproduct from Avon and it's aaawsum, it has three peptides and 9 antoxidents as well as extracts from seeds and flora, both chemical and natural ingridients. I hate advertising , so I reseach on my own before I buy something.
sherry m

1 - 20 of 37 Posts