Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I've been enjoying looking through the threads. Thought I'd jump in.

I'm 43, and only recently in a facial freak out. I've been noticing for a while that I'm getting lines around my mouth (I smoked in my 20s, though my sister, who never smoked, also has them, so may be partly heredity), but just lately they've REALLY popped out. More like pucker lines, if that makes sense - like an old lady mouth, all of a sudden. Possibly from recent weight loss (though I'm not underweight). It bugs in a way crows feet never could.

So I started Perricone this weekend, and I ordered a peptide cream. And I found this site! So grateful to the ladies talking up facial exercises. I just ordered a book on Amazon and will start Friday. I'm glad to be feeling so proactive, it's giving me hope maybe I can reverse some of this.

Looking forward to hanging out, hoping to share some progress.

Does anyone else have old lady mouth? Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Oh you are not alone. I think most start to get those lines around their mouth in their 40's. Trying your best to prevent them from getting worse is the best thing you can do.

What facial book did you go with?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Yes, ChocolateLady! We all hate those lines! Exercises, exfoliation, retin-a, vit c serum and sunscreen are my weapons.

If all else fails, there's Restylane but I hate to get into that boat. It all depends on the injector how it will turn out. And I would always be worrying if it was wearing off...a slave to the needle.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yes, ChocolateLady! We all hate those lines! Exercises, exfoliation, retin-a, vit c serum and sunscreen are my weapons.

If all else fails, there's Restylane but I hate to get into that boat. It all depends on the injector how it will turn out. And I would always be worrying if it was wearing off...a slave to the needle.
I think I would be a slave to the needle, and be very particular in my requests (natural looking) if I do eventually go down that track.
I refuse to look like this

·
Registered
515 Posts
She doesn't have her dentures in, silly! We always wear ours of course! Or anyone else's if we've lost our own.
if she's doing facial exercises she needs to work a lot harder on them, mine are working see

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What facial book did you go with?
I ordered Facercize by Carol Maggio. It looks good, I hope I can be dedicated. I think so, I tend to go whole hog.

Does retin A help with reversing these lines? Or does anything? I really would love some improvement, without a needle (which I can't afford anyway!).

I'm hoping dietary changes will help over time. I've dropped sugar, though I just read that it pretty much takes a year to really get it "out of your skin", so to speak. Ack!

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
For me using Vit C serum along with RA has helped tremendously well.

What kind of products do you currently use? And do you exfoliate your face at all? Taking vitamins helps too. Most of us here are big on Vit C, RA, taking oral vitamins and a lot do the facial exercises as well. Also, wearing sunscreen is a BIGGIE!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Retin-A does indeed help with lines! The ULL are probably the most difficult to get rid of.. we are constantly pursing our lips!

Some ppl say they have had good success with exfoliating with the electric toothbrush before applying products...helps them to penetrate better. Much like dermabrasion, but not as deep or intense.

Also, consciously making an effort to relax the lips and avoid that pursed-lip expression helps! And wearing sunscreen - the upper lip gets a lot of sun while driving - that visor helps the eyes, but not the lips and chin!

I've heard OB-GYNs swear it's related to hormone decline, but you couldn't prove it by me.

Whatever you try, be consistent and keep at it!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could anyone share what type of Vitamin C serum you use?

Also any luck with peptides? I only just heard about them from the Dr. Perricone book (I think his dietary ideas are probably right on, but he comes off as sort of a dick, I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has read his books). I ordered Prevara. Not too expensive, so I thought it would be worth a try...

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Could anyone share what type of Vitamin C serum you use?

Also any luck with peptides? I only just heard about them from the Dr. Perricone book (I think his dietary ideas are probably right on, but he comes off as sort of a dick, I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has read his books). I ordered Prevara. Not too expensive, so I thought it would be worth a try...
Most of us make our own!! You can too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts