Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bare with me here. This is my first post on this board, so not really sure what details about myself I should give. Just trying to make it easier for someone to help me with some tips.

I am a 190lbs 23yr old Male in reat physical condition, has a steady diet of the right foods and has sun exposure 1-2times a week.

My acne has GREATLY subsided in the past few years. It started to peaked out around 19yrs old. Then I would only have moderate acne along my chin and occasionally my forehead. This period was about 20-22yrs old. Last October 2008 I purchased Proactiv and received huge results from the product. I still get a pimple here and there, but they are very mild.

Is it time for me to stop using a medicated face wash with my very mild acne?

Is it more harmful than a regular soft facial cleanser?

·
Registered
529 Posts
well proactive is fairly expensive..
ive never used it but id assume its fairly strong stuff,

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you have a history of acne (like most of us that have used Proactiv), I suspect that the only reason you're not still breaking out is because what you're using right now is 'maintaining' your skin. I always have to use something that is geared toward acne no matter how clear my skin looks, or I'll flare right back up. The choice is yours, though. Maybe after a few more posts, you can make an informed decision, but just remember that everyone is different and what works for me might not work for you. Also, a lot of finding what works is simply trial and error. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Yes you should start switching but not necessarily to non-medicated. Proactiv is extremely strong and I doubt it's good for your skin long-term unless you have horrible acne.

Perhaps switch to a relatively-mild gel face wash with salicylic acid it instead, then follow up with an oil-free moisturizer, preferably a gel type. If you still get some pimples try using a cream as needed, maybe something with tea tree oil.

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
Just bare with me here. This is my first post on this board, so not really sure what details about myself I should give. Just trying to make it easier for someone to help me with some tips.

I am a 190lbs 23yr old Male in reat physical condition, has a steady diet of the right foods and has sun exposure 1-2times a week.

My acne has GREATLY subsided in the past few years. It started to peaked out around 19yrs old. Then I would only have moderate acne along my chin and occasionally my forehead. This period was about 20-22yrs old. Last October 2008 I purchased Proactiv and received huge results from the product. I still get a pimple here and there, but they are very mild.

Anything with salicylic acid in it is great for acne prone skin. If you feel like you need a change, use a gentle wash every couple of days. You can alternate between a medicated and a gentle wash. Ceptaphil has a nice gentle cleanser as do a few other lines. Be careful using anything with benzolyl peroxide in it. It may help to clear your face for the moment, but causes damage to your skin later.
Smart Skin Care: Acne and skin aging

1 - 6 of 6 Posts