Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys!

First I want to say im really excited to have joined this forum because the people here are so helpful and so nice. I have never felt this comfortable about starting a thread on a forum as i do now.

I have a problem with my skin like most people i can’t seem to find my answer and im hoping some of you can help me out.

The Problem: ( sorry for the length)

Im 20 years old college student and my skin is horrible! it looks pretty bad for my age i think. Ok first of all i break out still at 20 not a lot but i get 3 to 4 zits a week. BUT that’s not my only problem im 20 and i look like im on my 30s! that is my biggest problem. idk why but i think my body doesn’t produce enough collagen my cheeks are my main problem because i have saggy cheeks at my age! That is really horrible and im starting to get laugh lines because i laugh too much. Idk if its normal or not but lately i have been really concerned specially when i get my friends or family say things like omg you look so tired or omg you can totally pass for 25 or 30 idk how can people be so cruel sometimes not thinking i probably feel terrible hearing this at age 20 makes me wanna put a paper bag over my head and draw a little smile on it instead. i mean i should only be concerned about sunscreen and a good moisturizer but instead im in the anti aging section already. i really have a horrible time trying to find the right products and im desperate for someone to lead me to the right direction. I cant use something so rich because i can break out since i have combo skin. I was thinking RA? but idk if that would help with my sagging and the two wrinkles on my forehead i already have!

God this is horrible idk what to do anymore aside from the RA.. can any of you help me out? i will be forever grateful idk where i can get help and i cant afford a derm right now because of my college expenses. The messed up part about all this is that it has affected my self esteem horrible seeing how many of my friends have taut beautiful 20 year old skin while mine looks older than my moms. I wish it had been different but this is the way it is and now all i can do about it is try and fight it or find a way to make things better. I don’t want to look like a raisin by the time im on my 40s.

I know 20 year olds should not be using anti aging products but in my case would it be ok? would i need the hardcore stuff? or would i be ok with just RA and or Vitamin C Serum? i apologize for the long Post i just really wanted to state my problem in hopes someone can help me.

Thank you so much in advance!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far i have only been taking care of my skin with LUSH products and Neutrogena i have cleanser toner and moisturizer from lush which has been good to my skin im just not "in love" with the skin regime i have. And i have been using Neutrogenaâ€2122s Sunscreen spf 45, i hardly wear makeup usually just mineral makeup. I donâ€2122t have sensitive skin although i almost over did it once with benzoyl 10% but aside from that it worked for me. Also my skin has no glow to it and looks dead pale most of the time thatâ€2122s why im not in love with what I use but I have no idea what to use.
Thank you so much fawnie for your help i know you are so knowledgeable in this forum and i was hoping you would read my post.

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
Hi katie, 20 might be too young for heavy duty anti aging products. But you could definately use Vit C serum. No harm with that.

What products are you currently using?

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
Sorry just read your post!!

Oh so you are using LUSH products? We LOVE LUSH!!

What I would say you should do is invest in a microfiber cloth try exfoliating a couple times a week. See if this doesn't bring back the glow for you. If you end up ordering this cloth ask for a sample of the pumpkin peel it is great!!! This sample will give you a couple peels. It doesn't really make you peel. It is a AHA/BHA peel/mask. This will definately brighten up your face.
Microfiber Cleansing ClothÂ*-Â*NCN Professional Skincare - Anti Aging Skin Care Products That Makes Your Skin Look and Act Younger

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry just read your post!!

Oh so you are using LUSH products? We LOVE LUSH!!

What I would say you should do is invest in a microfiber cloth try exfoliating a couple times a week. See if this doesn't bring back the glow for you. If you end up ordering this cloth ask for a sample of the pumpkin peel it is great!!! This sample will give you a couple peels. It doesn't really make you peel. It is a AHA/BHA peel/mask. This will definately brighten up your face.
yes i love their bathbombs! haha i cant go to their store and not walk out with something. Its like going to an Adult candy store

Their skin care works for me but i dont seem to be getting that glow that i want.

So you think i would be able to try the Vit C serum? im so glad to hear this because i know vitamin c helps brighten up the skin and it has many other benifits. I also have read you guys post about making your own Vit C serum and i think you guys are so awesome for doing this. I would be scared to try it out but you guys make it seem so easy and its so affordable i might be tempted to try it out. I know it would save me a fortune.

I have also been looking into peels because of my acne scars from when i was in my teens and the pumpkin peels seems like a good one
thank you sooo much for your sugestion!
you guys give me the courage to try so many new things and research its amazing

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
Yes I think the Vit C would totally be ok for you. If you have acne scarring and it isn't too deep, just exfoliating might be all you need. The pumpkin peel is pretty amazing. The other one you could try is AHA/BHA from skinactives.
I know you said you are a college student, so just be careful not to spend too much $. Get the basics. The cloth would be a great thing for you to start with. Also just making the basic Vit C serum should be fine. You don't need one with all the bells and wistles, just the basic one would show you the great benefits you will get.

Maybe even try adding a multi vitamin to your daily routine. Make sure you are getting plenty of rest, drink plenty of water and try and eat heathly-

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Katie, you might have nailed it yourself when you said you overdid it with benzoyl peroxide. That definitely can age the skin. The VIt C might really help with it.

I like Green Cream and think it's gentler than Retin-A.
Anti-aging Skin Care with Retinol from Green Cream

If you put in on your Favorites List, and order it from there, you can save 10% and you always get free shipping.

Retinol and retin-a can make a real difference in how your skin behaves!

As for sagging, do you get enough protein in your diet to build new muscle?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I think the Vit C would totally be ok for you. If you have acne scarring and it isn't too deep, just exfoliating might be all you need. The pumpkin peel is pretty amazing. The other one you could try is AHA/BHA from skinactives.
I know you said you are a college student, so just be careful not to spend too much $. Get the basics. The cloth would be a great thing for you to start with. Also just making the basic Vit C serum should be fine. You don't need one with all the bells and wistles, just the basic one would show you the great benefits you will get.

Maybe even try adding a multi vitamin to your daily routine. Make sure you are getting plenty of rest, drink plenty of water and try and eat heathly-
yea im not trying to go too crazy i just want the basic stuff and i wanna go little by little to see what works and what doesnt work with my skin.

Do you know which one is the basic Vit C serum? because i wouldnt be able to tell which one is basic and which one has all the extra stuff in it.

As for the peel i have 3 pick scars
my fault though because i didnt listen to my mom when i was 13 and picked at them but thank god its just those three nothing too major.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Katie, you might have nailed it yourself when you said you overdid it with benzoyl peroxide. That definitely can age the skin. The VIt C might really help with it.

I like Green Cream and think it's gentler than Retin-A.

If you put in on your Favorites List, and order it from there, you can save 10% and you always get free shipping.

Retinol and retin-a can make a real difference in how your skin behaves!

As for sagging, do you get enough protein in your diet to build new muscle?
benzoyl peroxide could have done this to me?
My derm was the one who recomended it along time ago and i have stuck with it because its the only thing that doesnt make me break out.

i will def look into that green cream it is much glentler than RA? i know my skin is used to harsh stuff because of how bad i used to treat it thinking that was better when in reality it isnt but i was younger and didnt really get it. i wonder if gentle creams would work since im not used to it.

yea the sagging is what gets to me the most because i cant find a reason why. i do eat healthy and i love working out 3 times a week to keep my self toned and i do cheat sometimes with the fast food but i try to keep it as healthy as i can. I also get sleep my eight hours but i do go to sleep like at 2 or 3 sometimes because of hw. but isnt it ok as long as i get 8 hrs? Anyway idk i think i just dont produce the collagen but idk what would help me make some if thats even possible..?

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
yea im not trying to go too crazy i just want the basic stuff and i wanna go little by little to see what works and what doesnt work with my skin.

Do you know which one is the basic Vit C serum? because i wouldnt be able to tell which one is basic and which one has all the extra stuff in it.

As for the peel i have 3 pick scars
my fault though because i didnt listen to my mom when i was 13 and picked at them but thank god its just those three nothing too major.
This will give you the basic Vit C serum. Depending on where you live, you probably could find the glycerin in the health food store. The only thing you would have to order onine is the L- Ascorbic Acid. Go to the master thread and it will list different places we order our products from. I personally get my L-Ascorbic Acid from makingcosmetics.com.

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
3 tsp Distilled H2O
1 tsp Glycerin

http://www.skincaretalk.com/skin-lig...-thread-2.html

If you have any questions, just ask we are here to help!! But do get your school work done first. I have a son in college and know how easy it is for you guys to loose focus on homework-

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
gymmie!!!, how effective is this extremely simple version as opposed the kassy's original version I have been using with the vodka, ferulic, vitamin E, SKB?
It works just fine. Have you ever used glycerin before? some don't care for it much as they say it feels tacky. In the beginning this is exactly how I made mine. Worked fine for me. I added all the other stuff slowly and basically for the added SPF protection with the ferulic acid.

I was trying to just give Katie here a basic version as she is a college student. I know how rich my son is being in college........NOT!! I would kill him if he were out using the $ he did have for Vit C serum- I think a 24 pack would be more what he would be spending money on-

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
so how many tablespoonss of ferulic and all the other stuff would I need to use to add on to this very basic nice recipe?
1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
3 tsp Distilled H2O
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Glycerin
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp vodka

If you wanted to add HA and Vit E then add
1/8 tsp Vitamin E
1/2 tsp Hyaluronic Acid Serum

There are so many different recipes out there. Really just use the one that fits your needs.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Ok so let me reiterate, it is

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
3 tsp Distilled H2O
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Glycerin
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp vodka
1/8 tsp Vitamin E

what concentration of LAA does this come out to? and last time I got all my ingredients from GoW, can I find the glycerin, vit e, adn HA there? Also just to be 100% sure, those are teaspoon not tablespoons right?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This will give you the basic Vit C serum. Depending on where you live, you probably could find the glycerin in the health food store. The only thing you would have to order onine is the L- Ascorbic Acid. Go to the master thread and it will list different places we order our products from. I personally get my L-Ascorbic Acid from makingcosmetics.com.

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
3 tsp Distilled H2O
1 tsp Glycerin

If you have any questions, just ask we are here to help!! But do get your school work done first. I have a son in college and know how easy it is for you guys to loose focus on homework-
that is very basic ive seen some of the other recipes and i wouldnt have any idea on how to start. So do i just mix these and ta-da!? how long would that last me?

Thanks for the help! i feel like i have too many questions for you guys and i hope im not that much of a bother. It is easy to loose focus on hw but i try to stay focused and not go far off what i gotta do

And i know what you mean about money usually i have to spend 100 bucks on a book instead of those nice pair of heels grrr.. but it will be worth it later!

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
that is very basic ive seen some of the other recipes and i wouldnt have any idea on how to start. So do i just mix these and ta-da!? how long would that last me?

Thanks for the help! i feel like i have too many questions for you guys and i hope im not that much of a bother. It is easy to loose focus on hw but i try to stay focused and not go far off what i gotta do

And i know what you mean about money usually i have to spend 100 bucks on a book instead of those nice pair of heels grrr.. but it will be worth it later!
Once you have bought the LAA, you can make Vit C for ALL of your friends!!
I am still using my original container of LAA. It lasts for a really long time. I make a new batch every week to a week in a half. Here is the LAA I am using. The 4.4 oz container for $14.95. You could also get your glycerin there too if you need too. Buy a droppler bottle to keep it in and wa-la!!
Vitamin C L-ascorbic acid

Stay in school and buy the books, you have the rest of your life to buy the nice heels-

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
3 tsp Distilled H2O
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Glycerin
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp vodka

If you wanted to add HA and Vit E then add
1/8 tsp Vitamin E

There are so many different recipes out there. Really just use the one that fits your needs.
Hi Gymrat,

I am using the simple version of the vit c serum. How is it different from the recipe above? I mean is kassy's version more effective as opposed to the simple version? Have you noticed any difference or added benefits when using each version? And which one would you recommend? Sowie for asking too many questions!

Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts