Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you hold an umbrella during the daytime to shield yourselves from the sun? I've seen some asian women with very light skin do this. Do you think it would be weird for a black woman?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think you will probably get some stares or remarks. I rarely see anyone with umbrellas (unless it's raining). Once in awhile I will see a woman with one, but its usually some really fair Asian lady. But on the other hand, if its protecting your skin and preventing you from getting wrinkles and skin cancer, then who cares what people think!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i actually carry an umbrella every tym i leave the house,i live in africa and the sun here can be very harsh..so my umbrella always comes in handy!!! its my daily companion and man it works!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
An umbrella is definately a good first line of defence. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't go without sunprotection though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I always use umbrella. I guessed nothing is wrong if you'll do the same thing. Don't mind the remarks and stares because it can't harm you(unless you really care of what other people think), UV rays can!

·
Registered
63 Posts
if you're protecting yourself from getting burnt then i don't think you should care what people think.from experience people will think what they want to and you can never please everyone.do what makes up happy and comfortable.i personally wouldn't mind carrrying an umbrella but i also wear sunblock.i use ocean potions sunblock and it has UVA and UVB protection so i don't get a tan also.i hate getting a tan.doesn't look good on me

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I lived in Thailand and many women would walk the streets with umbrellas or put their handbags over their faces even. Almost everyone, even in the hottest--40 degree (about 110 F) days, wore long sleeves too. I personally think it looks foolish like something out of Victorian times but keep in mind, not all rain umbrellas are made to shield UV rays. Many let them right through so you do need a specific umbrella. I would sooner just wear sun-block if you are a black woman. An spf of 30 or above should be enough to not darken you. It is funny as I would give my eye tooth to be a light shade of black and have gone to lengths and damage to achieve that! Guess the grass is always greener!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I do. I've had some people ask me about it. I just tell them that my skin is very sensitive to the sun & I sometimes burn-which is true. Get a cheerful pretty umbrella (or 2) & make it a fun style element.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm with ya ondine
- I collect vintage parasols & I've got my retro-chic brolly that I take everywhere when I'm strolling in the sun. I like that people give me a wide berth when I'm window shopping on a crowded sunny street!

I just saw a fantastic looking parasol specifically designed to block out UVA/UVB on the Shopping Channel. I'm definately getting one!

I don't know how to post links? but look up The GustBuster SUNBLOK umbrella

"Pale is the new tan" folks - yep, pasty IS sexy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts